• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun Free Mall Zones

logan

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Ya, I'm glad my local mall bans guns. Nice to know I'm safe there! :lol:

thelongone13

imported post

I know my local mall allows armed security for the jewelry stores, but other than that...? I haven't carried there, don't know. Probably because I like to AVOID the place...

High gun ownership is good, but apparently one fell into the wrong hands. Remember, this is why we carry. To stop this kind of thing. Don't let people you know spin this negatively.

gbu28

imported post

gbu28 wrote:
And I don't say this jokingly

http://edition.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/europe/12/31/finland.shooting.shopping.mall/index.html

The article also states Finland has high gun ownership, but doesn't mention if you can carry or not.

I may have worded my comments poorly in relation to the title/description.

It was not meant to say I really believe malls are safer by forbidding open carry. That statement was facetious. When I said 'not jokingly' I just meant I was not taking lightly the victims in this crime.

Everyone should be able to defend themselves.

When I just read again what I had originally written, I got a bad vibe about it.

gbu28

imported post

logan wrote:
protias wrote:
Some of us only read the WI page...or at least that's all I read! :)

I actually read quite a bit on defensivecarry.com lately. So I spend more time there than here. Although it just makes me jealous, because most people there can carry all day everyday without problems!

I concur as well. In fact, today was the first time I ventured out of the yard and checked out Wyoming and Alaska, I believe it was. Mostly I just don't have time to read and research everything I would like, so I basically stick to WI.:shock:

M

McX

imported post

considering what i've seen hanging around our local mall. it cries out for open carry.

Old Grump

imported post

Permits required for all firearms except black powder guns. Concealed carry is a major no. I swap E-mails with 2 people from Finland, the one from Helsinki calls me a cowboy and doesn't understand my fascination with guns. The other is a Laplander or SAAMI and is a rifleman who envies me. They both agree that the gun numbers might be high but the laws restricting them is a bit much.

protias

imported post

Old Grump wrote:
Permits required for all firearms except black powder guns. Concealed carry is a major no. I swap E-mails with 2 people from Finland, the one from Helsinki calls me a cowboy and doesn't understand my fascination with guns. The other is a Laplander or SAAMI and is a rifleman who envies me. They both agree that the gun numbers might be high but the laws restricting them is a bit much.
Can you elaborate more on your first sentence please?

Old Grump

imported post

No concealed carry or carry permits at all in Finland. If you are not police or military you are restricted to carrying your weapons to where you are going to shoot or hunt and back home. You need a permit for every gun owned except for black powder. When stored at home they must be disassembled so they cannot be readily fired and they must be locked up.

Not a big deal to get a permit but still its a pain to go to the police, fill out the paperwork pay the fee and then hope they approve it. Needless to say they know where every legal gun in Finland is and who has it. Little more relaxed up north where bears and wolves are a real problem but you have to show you really were in danger or it's a heavy fine.

That's why my SAAMI buddy envies me, I can strap my 41 mag on my hip and go out into my woods any day of the year and if I want to set up a target and shoot in my back yard morning, noon and night and then lay my gun on my cleaning bench and not lock it up I won't be getting arrested for it. There are no children in my household and my shop is locked so nobody is getting in there but me. They would be in deep doo doo if they did the same thing.

protias

imported post

Gotcha. I was thinking you were talking about here and it wasn't making sense to me.

Old Grump

imported post

protias wrote:
Gotcha. I was thinking you were talking about here and it wasn't making sense to me.
I can see that. I have friends in Australia, Illinois, California, England, Norway and Lithuania, some are gun people and some are D&D players so I try and keep up with what my fellow gun people are putting up with. Note I put Illinois and California in with the foreign countries. When it comes to gun laws they might as well be. I belong to gun groups in both Illinois and California so I'm trying to help fight and counsel there too. When they win we all win.