• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

self defense shooting in Spokane

erps

imported post

FunkTrooper wrote:
I think one of his big mistakes was talking to the police! After a defensive situation when police arrive you tell them you want to speak to an attorney, never under any situation should you speak to a police officer it is there job to lock you up.
Their job is to do an investigation.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

erps wrote:
FunkTrooper wrote:
I think one of his big mistakes was talking to the police! After a defensive situation when police arrive you tell them you want to speak to an attorney, never under any situation should you speak to a police officer it is there job to lock you up.
Wouldn't that be the detective's job? Still good advice, never talk to the police, when they are "investigating" you.

FunkTrooper

imported post

erps wrote:
FunkTrooper wrote:
And that investigation could end with someone behind bars, the point is whether your innocent or not don't talk to the police.

Vandal

imported post

The civil suit will financially ruin him, unless it is determined by the prosecutor to be a SD shoot and charges are dropped then under ID law he is immune from civil liability. There is a lot of info the public hasn't seen yet, as is typical of cases like this. Based on the very limited info released, I am going to withhold judgement as to whether or not it was a good shoot. I would like it to be a good shoot though, 8+ people vs. 1 is disparity of force if I have ever seen it. I highly doubt 8 people in Downtown CdA would jump a shooter with his gun drawn.

Assuming he was drinking in the bar, then he is already guilty of a misdemeanor in ID, can't carry a concealed weapon while intoxicated. When I go out, the gun stays home, even if I am not drinking. It is never a good idea to take a gun to a bar.

kwiebe

imported post

Vandal wrote:
Assuming he was drinking in the bar, then he is already guilty of a misdemeanor in ID, can't carry a concealed weapon while intoxicated. When I go out, the gun stays home, even if I am not drinking. It is never a good idea to take a gun to a bar.
I hate to nitpick, but it seems to me that proof of intoxication would not necessarily be satisfied by establishing that someone had merely been in a bar, drinking.

Vandal

imported post

You hate to nit-pick yet you do. hmm... I used the word "assuming" for a reason. Reading comprehension is a cool thing.

I am sure they did a tox screen on the shooter as part of the investigation; blood draw at the hospital or jail. He also admitted to drinking in the bar. When it comes back, he will most likely be cited for the misdemeanor.

kwiebe

imported post

Vandal wrote:
You hate to nit-pick yet you do. hmm... I used the word "assuming" for a reason. Reading comprehension is a cool thing.

I am sure they did a tox screen on the shooter as part of the investigation; blood draw at the hospital or jail. He also admitted to drinking in the bar. When it comes back, he will most likely be cited for the misdemeanor.
You said "assuming he was drinking" - not "assuming he was intoxicated."

You also said "I am sure (followed by a few assumptions). Maybe they did the things you assumed, but we don't know the results. Your post indicated intoxication was a foregone conclusion.

My point was there is a difference between drinking and intoxication. A legal distinction. Legal proceedings do not allow sweeping generalizations and assumptions.

Vandal

imported post

Last I checked OCDO wasn't a court of law. Intoxication is at .08 in all states. It doesn't take long for a person to get there. It is a safe assumption that a person, drinking in a bar, can easily reach .08. If you want to get picky about assumptions and legalities, this entire thread is an assumption that the shooting was actually in self-defense.

kwiebe

imported post

Vandal wrote:
It is a safe assumption that a person, drinking in a bar, can easily reach .08
That seems rather obvious, and is quite a retreat from your original statement ("can reach" being the operative phrase).

See, I reading-comprehended that all by myself. ;)

Even though this isn't a court of law, and we're just discussing, it's still nice to keep track of assumptions and facts, and to keep them separated from each other.

(by the way, I drink and then drive all the time - but it's OK because I know how to keep from getting "intoxicated" --- or even "impaired")

http://dui.drivinglaws.org/drink-table.php

amzbrady

imported post

kwiebe wrote:
Vandal wrote:
It is a safe assumption that a person, drinking in a bar, can easily reach .08

(by the way, I drink and then drive all the time - but it's OK because I know how to keep from getting "intoxicated" --- or even "impaired")
I'm glad to see such responsible people here, I feel much better knowing I'm on the road next to people that have been drinking but are not intoxicated or even impaired. Whew, too bad others dont know their limit, so they could minimize their drinking before getting behind the wheel.

Trigger Dr

imported post

Kwiebe said (by the way, I drink and then drive all the time - but it's OK because I know how to keep from getting "intoxicated" --- or even "impaired")

PLEASE share this valuable information It would be nice if everyone had this unique abilty:what:

OrangeIsTrouble

imported post

Get the f*** off the road if you have any drinks, being impaired is BEING IMPAIRED, and you might think you are below intoxicated when actually you are f***ed up. I lost two friends in a car accident and got screwed up myself because one of them fell asleep at the wheel. You think I am going to put up with knowing there are some "responsible" drinkers who think they can drink a bit and drive safe? No way in hell.

kwiebe, if you ever go to a meet, please let me know, so I get a 2 hour headstart on the road before you are on it.

massivedesign

imported post

Poosharker wrote:
kwiebe, if you ever go to a meet, please let me know, so I get a 2 hour headstart on the road before you are on it.
I have a feeling that having alcohol at any opencarry event where we are all openly armed would do a little more harm than good... So I would think that you are probably safe Poosharker.

OrangeIsTrouble

imported post

massivedesign wrote:
I have a feeling that having alcohol at any opencarry event where we are all openly armed would do a little more harm than good... So I would think that you are probably safe Poosharker.
I hope so massivedesign, I already got enough titanium in me as it is.

amzbrady

imported post

Poosharker wrote:
massivedesign wrote:
I hope so massivedesign, I already got enough titanium in me as it is.

are youthe pooinator, or Robopoo?

Kildars

imported post

I have a hard time believing that a legal gun owner just decided to escalate a situation (even if they were arguing) and use lethal force (attempted lethal force). I have an easier time believing that a group of 8 men got mad and decided 8v1 was an easy fight and attacked him.