• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

UOC in San Jose, Caa

Johnny Koonce

imported post

My name is Johnny and I just recently joined this forum, but I think it's a great forum with a lot of good info!

So, after reading several pages I decided to call the SJPD today and asked about UOC.
What the officer on the other end of the phone told me was that it is totally legal to carry an unloaded, unconcealed gun in a belt holster. I then asked him about Ammo and he said I was not allowed to carry any ammo on my self while carrying a gun, that would be considered a loaded gun and would be a felony and I would be arrested.

After that I called the Sheriff's department and asked the same questions. The officer on the other end also told me that it is totally legal to carry a unloaded unconcealed gun in a belt holster on my belt. I then also asked about ammo and got a different answer, he said I could carry ammo on myself, even in a loaded magazine as long as the magazine was not inserted in the magazine well. He also told me that the magazine can not be concealed in any way, it has to be clearly visible. He added that if my shirt or backpack or any thing else even partially covered the gun it would be considered concealed. He also pointed out that there are a lot of criminals out there that are looking for ways to illegally get a hold of free guns and If I'm carrying a gun I could become a target for such criminals. I should be careful who I am around and who is close to me when I carry a gun.

How come I get two different answers from the SJPD and from the Sheriffs department?

OPS MARINE

imported post

OPS MARINE wrote:
I've got this. I will PM Johnny with the necessary info.
I was very quick to act and provide Johnny with the necessary links to read and print the literature for study. I did not allow others the time for input, and feel as though I shut everyone else out in the process. It was not my intent to alienate you or act as though I had all the answers, and I apologize for that.

-Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

Johnny Koonce wrote:
My name is Johnny and I just recently joined this forum, but I think it's a great forum with a lot of good info!

So, after reading several pages I decided to call the SJPD today and asked about UOC.
What the officer on the other end of the phone told me was that it is totally legal to carry an unloaded, unconcealed gun in a belt holster. I then asked him about Ammo and he said I was not allowed to carry any ammo on my self while carrying a gun, that would be considered a loaded gun and would be a felony and I would be arrested.

After that I called the Sheriff's department and asked the same questions. The officer on the other end also told me that it is totally legal to carry a unloaded unconcealed gun in a belt holster on my belt. I then also asked about ammo and got a different answer, he said I could carry ammo on myself, even in a loaded magazine as long as the magazine was not inserted in the magazine well. He also told me that the magazine can not be concealed in any way, it has to be clearly visible. He added that if my shirt or backpack or any thing else even partially covered the gun it would be considered concealed. He also pointed out that there are a lot of criminals out there that are looking for ways to illegally get a hold of free guns and If I'm carrying a gun I could become a target for such criminals. I should be careful who I am around and who is close to me when I carry a gun.

How come I get two different answers from the SJPD and from the Sheriffs department?

You get varying accuracy from different departments because they are not equally informed on the topic. While this has been practiced as early as summer 2006, the numbers of open carriers is still relatively low... so the need for leo's to be completely or accurately briefed has been minimal.

The good news is there are 10 memos detailing the legal aspects of open carry in California, so there is an interest for the authorities to respond correctly. But if you review them closely, they all have discrepancies that are not congruous with our studied research.

It is because of this, its generally not recommended to solicit legal information from leo's- this in addition to their injection of editorial and warnings of dire consequences.

Possession of both a firearm and the ammunition that it fires is not a crime, unless you are a felon, or in the act of committing street gang crimes. Please continue to read the forum as well as the pertinent penal codes so you will have a completed understanding of the legalities before you decide to practice open carry.

pullnshoot25

imported post

OPS MARINE wrote:
OPS MARINE wrote:
I've got this.  I will PM Johnny with the necessary info.
I was very quick to act and provide Johnny with the necessary links to read and print the literature for study.  I did not allow others the time for input, and feel as though I shut everyone else out in the process.  It was not my intent to alienate you or act as though I had all the answers, and I apologize for that.

-Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Its cool, no biggie.

Johnny Koonce

imported post

Thanks for the responses, guys.
I've been reading the info on this board and have read the fliers and pamphlets in the past days and printed them out, made copies and carry them in my car. I also found and read the memo's and info sheets that were sent to Sacramento/Sunnyvale/ and other police departments and the Case Alert Memorandum sent to all California Police Chiefs and Sheriffs by the Police officers association. I printed these out also. I don't claim to know all the answers, by no means!
I called the SJPD and the Sheriffs Dept. to see what they would say. I just wanted to know if they are informed on this subject or not.

Are there any plans on having a UOC outing in San Jose in 2010?

Hawaii FiveO

imported post

pullnshoot25 wrote:
Hawaii FiveO wrote:
pullnshoot25 wrote:
Sounds like San Jose needs needs some schooling. What a bunch of maroons.
I had no idea that the SJPD's uniforms were maroon in color. The one's I've seen are blue.
Sorry, couldn't resist.:D

Hehe. Its a Bugs Bunny joke :)

Really? Last time I saw a Bugs Bunny cartoon was about65 years ago when I was 7 years old.:lol:

Hmm, just realized your reply to me was very on topic. Wasn't there acharacter that hunted Bugs with a shotgun? And iirc it wasa double barrel too! Elmer Fudd was his name I think.

Rusty

imported post

Johnny,

I would highly recommend that you read up on this stuff a lot, and understand all of the laws involved BEFORE you UOC. There is a recent story out of San Jose where a guy heard about the legality of this practice, but was unaware of the Gun Free School Zone, and ended up getting arrested.

http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_14020859?nclick_check=1

You just want to be sure that you are aware of all of the intricacy in these laws, so you do not end up being charge with some sort of gun crime, and having your right yo bear arms taken from you.

I think you are in a good place to learn these things, and an organized UOC event might be a good way to start.

Johnny Koonce

imported post

Thanks, I read that article in the Mercury, what a shame.
I do want to learn/read as much as I can before I attempt to UOC. I want to know that what I'm doing is right and that I have the Law on my side!
I appreciate all the articles a.s.o. that you guys have posted for me to read and the PM's that I've gotten!!
I don't plan on just walking out my door and UOC'ing any time soon, at least not before I'm 100% sure of where I stand. In fact I think I would probably not do it on my own the first time anyway, an organized outing would be the best time for me to UOC the first time. If any body plans an outing in San Jose, please let me know!

Livermoron

imported post

Johnny Koonce wrote:
Thanks, I read that article in the Mercury, what a shame.
I do want to learn/read as much as I can before I attempt to UOC. I want to know that what I'm doing is right and that I have the Law on my side!
I appreciate all the articles a.s.o. that you guys have posted for me to read and the PM's that I've gotten!!
I don't plan on just walking out my door and UOC'ing any time soon, at least not before I'm 100% sure of where I stand. In fact I think I would probably not do it on my own the first time anyway, an organized outing would be the best time for me to UOC the first time. If any body plans an outing in San Jose, please let me know!

YOU ABOLUTELY HAVE THE LETTER OF THE LAW ON YOUR SIDE. However, not all LEO's will see it that way even if they have been properly informed. Be prepaired to be "treated like a criminal" and take proper precautions as detailed in this forum.

We are having a UOC meetup in Livermore tomorrow morning... Please look for the thread here on the forum.

Happy New Year & Carry On,

Livermoron :cool:

bad_ace

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Johnny Koonce,

One reason San Jose is still behind is old misinformation in the department and a lack of training. The Santa Clara Sheriff's Office has got it right because of the UOCers in the bay area carrying on a daily basis. Sunnyvale PD is right behind them in compliance. San Jose will get with the program soon enough.

Johnny Koonce wrote:
In fact I think I would probably not do it on my own the first time anyway, an organized outing would be the best time for me to UOC the first time. If any body plans an outing in San Jose, please let me know!

Folks in Livermore are getting together tomorrow morning. If you can't make that feel free to join me for a cup of Joe in friendly Cupertino anytime.

Johnny Koonce

imported post

I am thinking about taking copies of all the Fliers/pamphlets/info sheets/memos that I have printed out and dropping them off at the SJPD. do you guys think this is a good idea or a bad idea?

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Johnny Koonce wrote:
I am thinking about taking copies of all the Fliers/pamphlets/info sheets/memos that I have printed out and dropping them off at the SJPD. do you guys think this is a good idea or a bad idea?
Can't hurt. Be sure to NOT open carry because you'll be in a public building. I also wouldn't provide any personal information.

Johnny Koonce

imported post

bad_ace wrote
If you can't make that feel free to join me for a cup of Joe in friendly Cupertino anytime.
Bad Ace, I would like to take you up on that offer in the not so distant future, I'll PM you. Thanks for the offer! Maybe we can get a couple guys to get together.

Johnny Koonce

imported post

bigtoe416 wrote:
Johnny Koonce wrote:
Can't hurt. Be sure to NOT open carry because you'll be in a public building. I also wouldn't provide any personal information.

Yes, NO UOC any where in a police office. The tip on personal info is good also.

I think I'll stop by there next week.

pullnshoot25

imported post

Johnny Koonce wrote:

Make sure an actual officer gets the information.