• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Permit question??

Jay

imported post

I just went and I applied for my permit at Lebanon PD. I was under the impression that the application was all that I had to fill out. However they made me fill out another form asking for the phone numbers of my references as well as initial that I received a copy of New Hampshire law on the use of force. Anyone else run into this??

doobie

imported post

1) Minor nit-pick: It is a license not a permit.
2) Turn in only the state application. That is all they can require
3) Contact GO-NH/PG-NH

If they deny you (for not turning in their paperwork) SUE, and when you win, THEY pay your legal fees.

159:6 License to Carry. –
I. The selectmen of a town or the mayor or chief of police of a city or some full-time police officer designated by them respectively, upon application of any resident of such town or city, or the director of state police, or some person designated by such director, upon application of a nonresident, shall issue a license to such applicant authorizing the applicant to carry a loaded pistol or revolver in this state for not less than 4 years from the date of issue, if it appears that the applicant has good reason to fear injury to the applicant's person or property or has any proper purpose, and that the applicant is a suitable person to be licensed. Hunting, target shooting, or self-defense shall be considered a proper purpose. The license shall be valid for all allowable purposes regardless of the purpose for which it was originally issued. The license shall be in duplicate and shall bear the name, address, description, and signature of the licensee. The original shall be delivered to the licensee and the duplicate shall be preserved by the people issuing the same for 4 years. When required, license renewal shall take place within the month of the fourth anniversary of the license holder's date of birth following the date of issuance. The license shall be issued within 14 days after application, and, if such application is denied, the reason for such denial shall be stated in writing, the original of which such writing shall be delivered to the applicant, and a copy kept in the office of the person to whom the application was made. The fee for licenses issued to residents of the state shall be $10, which fee shall be for the use of the law enforcement department of the town or city granting said licenses; the fee for licenses granted to out-of-state residents shall be $100, which fee shall be for the use of the state. The director of state police is hereby authorized and directed to prepare forms for the licenses required under this chapter and forms for the application for such licenses and to supply the same to officials of the cities and towns authorized to issue the licenses. No other forms shall be used by officials of cities and towns. The cost of the forms shall be paid out of the fees received from nonresident licenses.
II. No photograph or fingerprint shall be required or used as a basis to grant, deny, or renew a license to carry for a resident or nonresident, unless requested by the applicant.

zombienerd

imported post

Jay wrote:
I just went and I applied for my permit at Lebanon PD. I was under the impression that the application was all that I had to fill out. However they made me fill out another form asking for the phone numbers of my references as well as initial that I received a copy of New Hampshire law on the use of force. Anyone else run into this??

I had a reference sheet in Hudson, also... I didn't have to initial anything, but they did give me the Use of Force law sheet.

If they don't call you within 10 days (or is it 14, I forget), you can go in and request your permit immediately by law, but they're usually pretty quick about it. I got mine in 6 days.

Jeremy2141

imported post

They cannnot make you fill out anything other than what is on the state sheet. I would go to the state website and print it and bring it in. They can't make you initial, sign, or do anything other than what is on the sheet. If they don't accept just the state sheet, I would contact an attorney. Penny Dean has been working on these kinds of cases in Keene, Manchester, and Londonderry. All those places have gone back to the basic state sheet. They will straighten out very fast when they realize you can sue them as individuals for denying you a license (to cover your attorney fees). Don't let them screw with you, the law is very clear, read up on the RSA 159 chapter.

Gunslinger

imported post

They always requested three references in Merrimack on the ap where I had a permit for 16 years. Took three days to get it initially and two for the renewals. I didn't have a problem with putting references down. Same when I got my non-res NH (living in VA) while at Hanscom AFB in MA. That took a whole week to get.

Jeremy2141

imported post

The state requirement requires the names and adresses of 3 references, but not their phone numbers or any other information. The OP stated that he was asked for their phone numbers, which is not required.

NewHampshireNative

imported post

They always ask for that. On mine I just put my wife,my self and a friend. If they try and tell you that you need your photo taken and finger prints. Print off the RSA law and remind then just what the law is.

doobie

imported post

If you don't like your town and you have international friends, but them down... :) I used deceased friends/family and the cemetery addresses on my initial application.

Jay

imported post

Doobie some how that does not surprise me. Anyhow they contacted all of my references by telephone as of this past Thursday. The 14th will be 14 days so hopefully they will be calling me sometime soon to pick it up.

doobie

imported post

Jay wrote:
Doobie some how that does not surprise me. Anyhow they contacted all of my references by telephone as of this past Thursday. The 14th will be 14 days so hopefully they will be calling me sometime soon to pick it up.
Don't count on them going calling you....

NewHampshireNative

imported post

Jay wrote:

They called them all? So you gave them and information and let them brake the LAW? You have a case in court if you read the Rsa laws so many members have posted for you. Why in gods name did you lay down for them? Should have pushed back with the RSA law in hand and you would have won. On another note they almost never call you when it's ready you have to be calling them. Claremont,PD took about four to five days with mine and I called them everyday after I dropped it off till they told me it was ready.

NewHampshireNative

imported post

Jay wrote:

I think I'll call the Leb PD and rock the boat. Ask them what is needed to get a Concealed carry permit:D when they tell me phone numbers i'll ask them why and read word for word the RSA's on this matter and and read them word for word rsa 159:26 Firearms and Ammunition; Authority of the State.

"
159:26 Firearms and Ammunition; Authority of the State. –
I. To the extent consistent with federal law, the state of New Hampshire shall have authority and jurisdiction over the sale, purchase, ownership, use, possession, transportation, licensing, permitting, taxation, or other matter pertaining to firearms, firearms components, ammunition, or firearms supplies in the state. Except as otherwise specifically provided by statute, no ordinance or regulation of a political subdivision may regulate the sale, purchase, ownership, use, possession, transportation, licensing, permitting, taxation, or other matter pertaining to firearms, firearms components, ammunition, or firearms supplies in the state. Nothing in this section shall be construed as affecting a political subdivision's right to adopt zoning ordinances for the purpose of regulating firearms businesses in the same manner as other businesses or to take any action allowed under RSA 207:59.
II. Upon the effective date of this section, all municipal ordinances and regulations not authorized under paragraph I relative to the sale, purchase, ownership, use, possession, transportation, licensing, permitting, taxation, or other matter pertaining to firearms, firearm components, ammunition, or firearms supplies shall be null and void. Source. 2003, 283:2, eff. July 18, 2003"

That's two state laws the Leb PD broke

" 159:6 License to Carry. –
I. The selectmen of a town or the mayor or chief of police of a city or some full-time police officer designated by them respectively, upon application of any resident of such town or city, or the director of state police, or some person designated by such director, upon application of a nonresident, shall issue a license to such applicant authorizing the applicant to carry a loaded pistol or revolver in this state for not less than 4 years from the date of issue, if it appears that the applicant has good reason to fear injury to the applicant's person or property or has any proper purpose, and that the applicant is a suitable person to be licensed. Hunting, target shooting, or self-defense shall be considered a proper purpose. The license shall be valid for all allowable purposes regardless of the purpose for which it was originally issued. The license shall be in duplicate and shall bear the name, address, description, and signature of the licensee. The original shall be delivered to the licensee and the duplicate shall be preserved by the people issuing the same for 4 years. When required, license renewal shall take place within the month of the fourth anniversary of the license holder's date of birth following the date of issuance. The license shall be issued within 14 days after application, and, if such application is denied, the reason for such denial shall be stated in writing, the original of which such writing shall be delivered to the applicant, and a copy kept in the office of the person to whom the application was made. The fee for licenses issued to residents of the state shall be $10, which fee shall be for the use of the law enforcement department of the town or city granting said licenses; the fee for licenses granted to out-of-state residents shall be $100, which fee shall be for the use of the state. The director of state police is hereby authorized and directed to prepare forms for the licenses required under this chapter and forms for the application for such licenses and to supply the same to officials of the cities and towns authorized to issue the licenses. No other forms shall be used by officials of cities and towns. The cost of the forms shall be paid out of the fees received from nonresident licenses.
II. No photograph or fingerprint shall be required or used as a basis to grant, deny, or renew a license to carry for a resident or nonresident, unless requested by the applicant."

Jay

imported post

NewHampshireNative wrote:
Jay wrote:

They called them all? So you gave them and information and let them brake the LAW? Why in gods name did you lay down for them? Should have pushed back with the RSA law in hand and you would have won.
I understand what you are saying, and normally I am not one to roll over. I knew who my references where I knew they would give me a great reference so I gave in. If they asked for anything more than that I probably would have fought it. Did I do the right thing? "NO" looking back on it will I do it again "NO". I am playing devils advocate a little too because I am trying to get on the fire department (volunteer). I will run into these cops on the street I am sure. Really do not want to be know as the guy who stirred up a sh*t storm while getting his permit. I feel pretty comfortable with the laws of New Hampshire I "WILL NOT" let my leanency be taken as a sign of weakness. If the PD tries to push the envelope further. I have a lot of respect for law enforcement, but I will not get walked on either

NCjones

imported post

I think this references thing is so stupid. They require that here in NC to get a permit to purchase. Do they actually think that I would put down someone whom I didn't already know would give me a glowing recomendation.

doobie

imported post

Jay wrote:
Jay wrote:

They called them all? So you gave them and information and let them brake the LAW? Why in gods name did you lay down for them? Should have pushed back with the RSA law in hand and you would have won.
I understand what you are saying, and normally I am not one to roll over. I knew who my references where I knew they would give me a great reference so I gave in. If they asked for anything more than that I probably would have fought it. Did I do the right thing? "NO" looking back on it will I do it again "NO". I am playing devils advocate a little too because I am trying to get on the fire department (volunteer). I will run into these cops on the street I am sure. Really do not want to be know as the guy who stirred up a sh*t storm while getting his permit. I feel pretty comfortable with the laws of New Hampshire I "WILL NOT" let my leanency be taken as a sign of weakness. If the PD tries to push the envelope further. I have a lot of respect for law enforcement, but I will not get walked on either
I knew I wasn't staying in that location long, so I did it. *IF* I submit my application again in my current town, I'll probably leave the reference section blank and only fill it in if they ask for it.

Jay

imported post

doobie wrote:
Jay wrote:
Jay wrote:

I knew I wasn't staying in that location long, so I did it. *IF* I submit my application again in my current town, I'll probably leave the reference section blank and only fill it in if they ask for it.
Doobie I do not know what you are saying here??

Jay

imported post

Well I got a phone call from the detective at the PD yesterday asking me why I want a permit since I put my reason as target shooting. She stated that if I carry unloaded in a case to the range I do not need a permit. I stated well it will be loaded and concealed, and I want a permit. She did not understand my logic on this one :banghead:. But she said okay and hung up.

I got another phone call today that my permit was ready I went down to the PD paid the $10.00 and picked it up :celebrate

Jeremy2141

imported post

If you read the RSA (RSA 159-6) that talks about the pistol License,

it states that you target shooting is a legitimate reason for the license.

Glad you got your license!

Jay

imported post

Jeremy2141 wrote:
If you read the RSA (RSA 159-6) that talks about the pistol License,

it states that you target shooting is a legitimate reason for the license.

Glad you got your license!
I know that, and you know that, and everyone else here probably knows that. However I think the detective thought I was stupid just moving here from CT. I do not know, and thanks I am glad as well