• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Permit question??

Rattrapper

imported post

Having read this thread, And the direction it was going, This how all the abuse in the permit process starts. First, Welllllll It was only the phone Numbers, Then it is only couple of days longer than it was supposed to be. They only this and they only that. B.S.!!! I have seen this road before. Weforce OUR SERVANTS to abide by the law or they become our MASTERS. If you moved to New Hampshire for the freedom that New Hampshire is, Then YOU MUST BE READY TOENFORCE THAT FREEDOM.

doobie

imported post

Rattrapper wrote:
Having read this thread, And the direction it was going, This how all the abuse in the permit process starts. First, Welllllll It was only the phone Numbers, Then it is only couple of days longer than it was supposed to be. They only this and they only that. B.S.!!! I have seen this road before. Weforce OUR SERVANTS to abide by the law or they become our MASTERS. If you moved to New Hampshire for the freedom that New Hampshire is, Then YOU MUST BE READY TOENFORCE THAT FREEDOM.
It's a LICENSE. New Hampshire has NO firearm PERMITS. If a cop pulls you over/stops and sees a firearm concealed firearm and he asks if you have a permit to conceal, you CAN LEGALLY SAY NO!. It has been said in court New Hampshire does NOT have a permit. However if he asked if you have a license, you have to say yes (if you really have one).

The problem starts when People start calling it a PERMIT. It doesn't PERMIT you anything. You get licensed to carry. Not PERMITTED.

Sorry this is one of my big pet peeves.

Jay

imported post

doobie wrote:
Rattrapper wrote:
It's a LICENSE. New Hampshire has NO firearm PERMITS. If a cop pulls you over/stops and sees a firearm concealed firearm and he asks if you have a permit to conceal, you CAN LEGALLY SAY NO!. It has been said in court New Hampshire does NOT have a permit. However if he asked if you have a license, you have to say yes (if you really have one).

The problem starts when People start calling it a PERMIT. It doesn't PERMIT you anything. You get licensed to carry. Not PERMITTED.

Okay thanks for the clarification :)

Chkultr

imported post

Thank you for the quick response.

I wanted to make sure I wasn't crazy....I know I got the permit because it was inexpensive and very inexpensive to renew.

Will have to weigh out the options to see if it is worth the money to renew this and my North Dakota Non Resident permit

NewHampshireNative

imported post

They raised it from the 20 dollars to 100 in the hopes of helping the failing state budget. As well as many other reasons one being ( So they say) to hiring more help so they can get them done faster. I think they are hoping by raising it that will make a huge drop in the amount of permits people want. I mean lets face it who wants to pay 100 for a four year permit? I take that back I have seen a lot of ( what I call permit collectors) who apply for a permit in just about every state they can.

doobie

imported post

NewHampshireNative wrote:
They raised it from the 20 dollars to 100 in the hopes of helping the failing state budget. As well as many other reasons one being ( So they say) to hiring more help so they can get them done faster. I think they are hoping by raising it that will make a huge drop in the amount of permits people want. I mean lets face it who wants to pay 100 for a four year permit? I take that back I have seen a lot of ( what I call permit collectors) who apply for a permit in just about every state they can.
Not to mention there are cheaper ways to get the reciprocity that NH gives with NH's license being $100 / 4 years.

Leverdude

imported post

doobie wrote:
Rattrapper wrote:

Seems like a silly thing to get upset about. If you dont have a license then you arent permitted to carry concealed. Your license permits you to carry concealed.

A bigger issue IMO is how many people are just ignorant of the laws in general.

As noted if you dont know the laws & allow illegal requirements to go unchecked you actually help those who would legislate gun rights out of existence.
This OP's story is ripe with compliance with non existant law at least since he was in CT. In CT he could have kept his guns in his house, yet he left them with someone else because he thought he could not. On the move north he indicated he would ship them thru an FFL, I assume because he didn't think he could transport them in CT or through MA, again obeying non existant laws. I regularly go through MA with guns on my way to NH and back. I did so with handguns perfectly legally before I had a permit in either CT or NH because I know that as long as I can posess them in my home & at my destination I can transport them between those places.

When people accept these things as regular practice its easy for them to become law. As gun owners we NEED to KNOW what is or isn't against the law rather than what he said or she said, even if he or she is a cop.

Leverdude

imported post

mvpel wrote:
Leverdude - is it a marriage "license" or a marriage "permit?"

Same idea.
I agree its the same idea but thats because I still dont see a difference.
Lacking a marriage license you wont be permitted to marry.

I'm looking at my NH "license" right now. It reads as follows,

State of New Hampshire
Department of Saftey
NON RESIDENT Pistol/Revolver License
Permit# NR*****

I'm not trying to start a pissing contest over it, I just see the two words as synonymous and aparently the state of NH does as well, at least in regards to non res licenses.

I'v never seen a NH res license, is it worded similarly?

nhsig220

imported post

Leverdude wrote:
mvpel wrote:

Same idea.

State of New Hampshire
Department of Saftey
Permit# NR*****

I'm not trying to start a pissing contest over it, I just see the two words as synonymous and aparently the state of NH does as well, at least in regards to non res licenses.

The word "Permit" does not appear anywhere on the resident NH license.

Leverdude

imported post

nhsig220 wrote:
Leverdude wrote:
mvpel wrote:

Same idea.

State of New Hampshire
Department of Saftey
Permit# NR*****

The word "Permit" does not appear anywhere on the resident NH license.
Thanks.:)
I'd just like to state that for me NH has always been a great state in every way. I bought property up there 10 years ago and built a camp on it. Everyone I'v dealt with regarding anything has been fair & friendly. I'm not trying to nit pick or disrespect the state or its people in any way. Hopefully if finances will permit, my family & I will call it home someday soon.

nhsig220

imported post

You are quite welcome.

Where do you have your camp? The next time you are up, maybe we can go shooting if you happen to be close by.

brianh2244

imported post

What did they ask your references?

I filed and received my license within 7 days and they did not contact any of my references. My friend in another state received his in a similar time frame and they did not contact any of his three references either (I was one he listed).

After reading this forum, I'm new here today, I wasn't even aware that I did not have to provide references. It's part of the form now, I don't know if that's changed since this thread was started a few months ago.

doobie

imported post

brianh2244 wrote:
What did they ask your references?

I filed and received my license within 7 days and they did not contact any of my references. My friend in another state received his in a similar time frame and they did not contact any of his three references either (I was one he listed).

After reading this forum, I'm new here today, I wasn't even aware that I did not have to provide references. It's part of the form now, I don't know if that's changed since this thread was started a few months ago.
You don't need to provide phone numbers for references. The state form does ask for references names and addresses..... In theory I think they can refuse to accept an application with them blank... I could be wrong. But requiring phone numbers/email addrs is not legal.