• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Buying a gun as a gift

jsfrederick

imported post

Two questions for the masses.

My dad wants to purchase a handgun after shooting the XD's while visiting me. He plans on getting his CCW when he gets back to FLA.

I'd like to buy him an XD9SC. Can I "purchase" it online and have it sent to his FFL in FLA for his pickup? It'll be in his name, I just want to pay for it with my CC. He's legal to purchase firearms.

Second question, where would you all suggest to purchase an XD from via the internet. Really just looking for the best price. I'll go down and show him how to disassemble and clean. He'll be taking the FLA CCW course which includes on range time. He knows how to shoot as he was in the military for about 5 yrs.

wylde007

imported post

I know some online dealers require that the receiver of the ordered arm must match the one purchasing it. Classicarms.us and AIMsurplus.com come to mind.

What you likely will have to do is buy the firearm and have it shipped to Virginia where you take initial receipt and then have them ship it to your father's FFL. You'll have to pay for two transfers that way.

I'm not that well-versed, so there may be another way around it.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

jsfrederick wrote:
Two questions for the masses.

My dad wants to purchase a handgun after shooting the XD's while visiting me. He plans on getting his CCW when he gets back to FLA.

I'd like to buy him an XD9SC. Can I "purchase" it online and have it sent to his FFL in FLA for his pickup? It'll be in his name, I just want to pay for it with my CC. He's legal to purchase firearms.

Second question, where would you all suggest to purchase an XD from via the internet. Really just looking for the best price. I'll go down and show him how to disassemble and clean. He'll be taking the FLA CCW course which includes on range time. He knows how to shoot as he was in the military for about 5 yrs.
If your going down there, why not just buy it and take it to him.

VAopencarry

imported post

Legally you could do it that way but as mentioned, online dealers are leary of it.

Peter Nap, I don't think your suggestion is legal. I do not see an exception for interstate gifting. This scenario would not be a bequest or intestate succession. However, you usually seem to know what you are talking about:), so what am I missing?18-44-922(a)(3)

(3) for any person, other than a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector to transport into or receive in the State where he resides (or if the person is a corporation or other business entity, the State where it maintains a place of business) any firearm purchased or otherwise obtained by such person outside that State, except that this paragraph (A) shall not preclude any person who lawfully acquires a firearm by bequest or intestate succession in a State other than his State of residence from transporting the firearm into or receiving it in that State, if it is lawful for such person to purchase or possess such firearm in that State, (B) shall not apply to the transportation or receipt of a firearm obtained in conformity with subsection (b)(3) of this section, and (C) shall not apply to the transportation of any firearm acquired in any State prior to the effective date of this chapter;

zoom6zoom

imported post

Sorry, Peter... interstate firearms transfers between private parties are not permitted. It's stupid, but it's the law. You could buy it and drive down with it, but you would need to take it to an FFL in his state to legally transfer it to him.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Gee that's right!
By all means, you should transfer it properly...To your father.

Guys, think about what you just said and NO, don't open it up for argument on a public forum.

TFred

imported post

Why not just let him buy it, and you provide the funds to him separately? Hopefully the private transfer of funds will still be legal in this country for some time to come... ;)

No reason you couldn't do all the research, and just have him do the final purchase from Florida. That way there is only one FFL fee.

TFred