• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry in Belton, MO

HardCorps79

imported post

Hello, all. New member here. Not big on open carrying personally, but I wholeheartedly support anyone who does as I am a strong proponent of the removal of all infringements of the Second Amendment.

Been browsing on here lately following some links from DefensiveCarry.com and decided to jump in.

I've been following the repeal of Raymore's ban on open carry and am wondering if there is any plan to follow up with similar action in Belton.

Currently, here's what Belton's City Code states:

Sec. 15-116. Possession.
No person shall have in his possession except within his own domicile, or carry or use, a revolver or pistol of any description, shotgun, or rifle which may be used for the explosion of cartridges, or any air gun, "B-B" gun, gas-operated gun, or spring gun, or any instrument, toy or weapon commonly known as a "peashooter," "sling shot," or "beany," or any bow made for the purpose of throwing or projecting missiles of any kind by any means whatsoever, whether such instrument is called by any name set forth above or by any other name.

(a) Exception for licensed and other specific premises. The prohibition of this section shall not apply to licensed shooting galleries or in private grounds or premises under circumstances when such instrument can be fired, discharged or operated in such a manner as not to endanger persons or property, and also in such a manner as to prevent the projectile from traversing any grounds or space outside the limits of such gallery grounds, or residence; and further provided that nothing herein contained shall prohibit the carrying of any type of gun whatsoever when unloaded and properly cased, to or from any range or gallery or to and from any area where hunting is allowed by law.

(b) Exception for authorized officials. The prohibition of this section shall not be construed to forbid United States marshals, sheriffs, constables and their deputies, and any regular, special or ex officio police officer, or any other law enforcement officer from carrying or wearing, while on duty, such weapons as shall be necessary in the proper discharge of their duties.
(Ord. No. 67-308, § 6.9, 8-31-67)
---------------------------------------------

Would love to hear from other members in the KC area.

Semper Fi
Sgt, USMC

HYRYSC

imported post

There must be an exclusion later on, because according to this language, even concealed carry outside your home would be illegal.

Rafter J

imported post

Straight from the Belton PD... While open carry may be legal in some areas of MO since concealed carry was approved,in Belton,open carry may net you a "disturbing the peace" arrest if someone at the local grocery store calls to report you walking aroundthe store with a weapon.

It is true that the Belton city regs need to be updated concerning concealed carry and open carry. The local CCW instructors do not advise open carry in their lesson plans.

I agree to a point. The 2nd A says I can bear arms but why would Iwant to open carry and show thecriminal element that I have a weapon? In an armed encounter I wouldbe the first person shot and the criminal wouldhave two weapons and ammo.

I am a firm believer that if a weapon is concealed properly no one will know that you have one.

RJ

nrepuyan

imported post

Rafter J wrote:
Straight from the Belton PD... While open carry may be legal in some areas of MO since concealed carry was approved, in Belton, open carry may net you a "disturbing the peace" arrest if someone at the local grocery store calls to report you walking around the store with a weapon.

It is true that the Belton city regs need to be updated concerning concealed carry and open carry. The local CCW instructors do not advise open carry in their lesson plans.  

I agree to a point. The 2nd A says I can bear arms but why would I want to open carry and show the criminal element that I have a weapon?  In an armed encounter I would be the first person shot and the criminal would have two weapons and ammo.

I am a firm believer that if a weapon is concealed properly no one will know that you have one. 

RJ

but RJ...if more people Open carried, it wouldn't be such a "shocking" thing to see...also, if you were to walk into a store and saw most of the people in it [employee's or customers] and you had the intent to do somethin, would you really want to try your luck with robbing or doing whatever there?

being afraid and concealing doesn't aid the cause of trying to get people to be comfortable or confident in open carrying...you set an example in my opinion if you OC...

imported post

Rafter J wrote: "I agree to a point. The 2nd A says I can bear arms but why would Iwant to open carry and show thecriminal element that I have a weapon? In an armed encounter I wouldbe the first person shot and the criminal wouldhave two weapons and ammo."

Can you back this up with facts and figures or is this a fear you have of open carry? There are states such as VA and WY plus others where open carry is rather common and we do not read of anyone being shot and their weapon and ammo taken.

If a BG comes into a convenience store with the intent of armed robbery and he sees 4 or 5 customers open carrying do you think he would shoot all of them and then rob the store or would he look for easier pickings?

RSKtakR

imported post

welcome to the board hardcorp79,

i live in Raymore, and i carry everywhere i go (i have a CCW). i just dont open carry, however i would like to be able to open carry, i have no clue what the outcome was for lifting the open carry ban yet..isnt this ban that is being lifted (i hope)for ALL of Cass county or ONLY Raymore?

Rafter J

imported post

From what I have been told by theCC Sheriff's Office ... Open carry is allowed in Cass County. It is the cities like Raymore and Belton that don't like it and pass ordinances against it.

In response to the previousposters ... I would like to carry openly also. I do agree that a few people carrying openly will give the BGs pause. I just don't want to be the "armed man"agray haired old lady in Hy-Vee calls the cops on.

Yes, if more people carried openly maybe society wouldget the message that there are people that wantto take a stand against the criminal element. Yes, Belton and Raymore and Cass County does have a criminal element.

Wasn't there a group of men in the KC area thatmet ata local Denny's for breakfast and carriedopenly? Anyone want to try that in Belton or Raymore? The only thing stopping it wouldbe a posted sign saying any weapons carry (open or concealed) is prohibited, i.e. Price Chopper and Aaron's in Belton.

nrepuyan

imported post

Rafter J wrote:
From what I have been told by theCC Sheriff's Office ... Open carry is allowed in Cass County. It is the cities like Raymore and Belton that don't like it and pass ordinances against it.

In response to the previousposters ... I would like to carry openly also. I do agree that a few people carrying openly will give the BGs pause. I just don't want to be the "armed man"agray haired old lady in Hy-Vee calls the cops on.

Yes, if more people carried openly maybe society wouldget the message that there are people that wantto take a stand against the criminal element. Yes, Belton and Raymore and Cass County does have a criminal element.

Wasn't there a group of men in the KC area thatmet ata local Denny's for breakfast and carriedopenly? Anyone want to try that in Belton or Raymore? The only thing stopping it wouldbe a posted sign saying any weapons carry (open or concealed) is prohibited, i.e. Price Chopper and Aaron's in Belton.
best way to combat establishments that have signage posted saying no weapons or guns whatever...

...don't shop or give them any of your business and make sure you let their management know why you won't be giving them any of your business.

RSKtakR

imported post

nrepuyan wrote:
Rafter J wrote:

best way to combat establishments that have signage posted saying no weapons or guns whatever...

...don't shop or give them any of your business and make sure you let their management know why you won't be giving them any of your business.
i would be game for that!! lol

HYRYSC

imported post

Rafter J wrote:
Straight from the Belton PD... While open carry may be legal in some areas of MO since concealed carry was approved,in Belton,open carry may net you a "disturbing the peace" arrest if someone at the local grocery store calls to report you walking aroundthe store with a weapon.

I agree to a point. The 2nd A says I can bear arms but why would Iwant to open carry and show thecriminal element that I have a weapon? In an armed encounter I wouldbe the first person shot and the criminal wouldhave two weapons and ammo.

RJ
The Belton PD does not make the laws, they are to only enforce them. If open carry is not against the law, then there is nothing to enforce about it. If someone calls the police because someone is carrying a firearm, it is the duty of the police to ascertain if there is a law being broken. I know this is not always the case, but it is becoming more of the norm than it used to be. (as stated by US District Judge Bruce Black in New Mexico)

As far as your remark regarding OC vs CC. I hear the same theory regarding OC, but just doesn't seem to be much evidence to back it up. There is evidence to support that OC does give pause to would-be criminals. Some of this evidence is actually from Concealed Carriers that have to show their firearm to get the offender to back off, leave their premises, etc. If they would have been OC'ing all along, what would be the outcome?

If I am Open Carrying, as far as any criminal element knows, I am an officer of the law, whether off duty or plainclothes officer etc. I will not do anything to make anyone assume that, but if a perpetrator assumes that, all the better.

To me, the arguments against OC smack of the same reasoning that the Brady Bunch uses for owning guns. Both anti-OC and anti-gun all use "common sense" as their foundation for their rationale.

Regardless if whether I agree with you, I still support your right to be against OC, that is what freedom is all about!

patriotthad

imported post

Same old, tired, argument regarding OC. That those who OC will be the first ones shot. If that were true, for safety issues, all Law Enforcement would carry concealed all the time, whether on duty or off, to protect themselves.

As of press time American Police Beat Jan 2010(pg.1 continued onpg. 34) tells that there were 44 officers killed in the line of dutyin 2009. This compares with a total firearms related MURDERS in 2004 of 9,326 according to U.S. Department of Justice F.B.I.. So, this proves that the safest percent of the population are those that OC.

We all know that if some criminal wants to rob a store and observes someone OCing he/she will move to another store.