• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Clarity on CC in Alcohol Serving Establishments

theschultz

imported post

Can we CC (with permit of course) in Alcohol Serving Establishments?

Have any of you OCd in one?

Dave
Marylander (ughhh), mailed permit to VA SP 12/18/09.

MSC 45ACP

imported post

No.:what:Don't even THINK about CCing in a place that serves alcohol unless you meet very strict paramaters: you are an LEO or employee of the establishment, meeting the criteria here:

[align=left]§ 18.2-308. Personal protection; carrying concealed[/align]
[align=left]weapons; when lawful to carry.[/align]

[align=left]B. This section shall not apply to any person while in his own place[/align]
[align=left]of abode or the curtilage thereof.[/align]
[align=left]J3. No person shall carry a concealed handgun onto the premises[/align]
[align=left]of any restaurant or club as defined in §
4.1-100 for which a license[/align]
[align=left]to sell and serve alcoholic beverages for on-premises consumption[/align]
[align=left]has been granted by the Virginia Alcoholic Beverage Control Board[/align]
[align=left]under Title 4.1 of the Code of Virginia; however, nothing herein[/align]
[align=left]shall prohibit any sworn law-enforcement officer from carrying a[/align]
[align=left]concealed handgun on the premises of such restaurant or club or[/align]
[align=left]any owner or event sponsor or his employees from carrying a[/align]
[align=left]concealed handgun while on duty at such restaurant or club if such[/align]
[align=left]person has a concealed handgun permit.[/align]
[align=left]O. The granting of a concealed handgun permit shall not thereby[/align]
[align=left]authorize the possession of any handgun or other weapon on[/align]
[align=left]property or in places where such possession is otherwise prohibited[/align]
by law or is prohibited by the owner of private property.

I think most if not all of us have OCed in places that serve alcohol because it is ILLEGAL in Virginia to CC there (for now).

Everyone here that has been to an OC dinner has done it.

Come on out and join us for an OC dinner and "meet the OCDO Family"!!!

:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate

Glock27Bill

imported post

Pretty much what MSC said.

Take a look at the Open Carry Experiences in NOVA thread and you'll see that we Open Carry pretty much everywhere it's not illegal to do so.

And while it's not illegal to drink while carrying (but not to the point of intoxication), most of us view it as being bad form for The Cause.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

Remember guys, that the CC prohibition only pertains to restaurants and clubs (4.1-100), not every place that serves alcoholic beverages. There's lots of ABC licensed places that serve where you can carry concealed. It all depends on what the license designation is.

johnfenter

imported post

Definitions from VA Code 4.1-100:

"Restaurant" means, for a beer, or wine and beer license or a limited mixed beverage restaurant license, any establishment provided with special space and accommodation, where, in consideration of payment, meals or other foods prepared on the premises are regularly sold.
"Restaurant" means, for a mixed beverage license other than a limited mixed beverage restaurant license, an established place of business (i) where meals with substantial entrees are regularly sold and (ii) which has adequate facilities and sufficient employees for cooking, preparing, and serving such meals for consumption at tables in dining areas on the premises, and includes establishments specializing in full course meals with a single substantial entree.

"Club" means any private nonprofit corporation or association which is the owner, lessee, or occupant of an establishment operated solely for a national, social, patriotic, political, athletic, or other like purpose, but not for pecuniary gain, the advantages of which belong to all of the members. It also means the establishment so operated. A corporation or association shall not lose its status as a club because of the conduct of charitable gaming conducted pursuant to Article 1.1:1 (§ 18.2-340.15 et seq.) of Chapter 8 of Title 18.2 in which nonmembers participate frequently or in large numbers, provided that no alcoholic beverages are served or consumed in the room where such charitable gaming is being conducted while such gaming is being conducted and that no alcoholic beverages are made available upon the premises to any person who is neither a member nor a bona fide guest of a member.
Any such corporation or association which has been declared exempt from federal and state income taxes as one which is not organized and operated for pecuniary gain or profit shall be deemed a nonprofit corporation or association.

Note that 18.2-308 J3 prohibits CC in a restaurant as defined above, and also note that the definition of a restaurant for a beer/wine license does NOT specify that a "restaurant" license be issued; it merely requires "special space and accomodation", and not that meals be provided, but merely "other foods". Some lawyers might argue that a stadium which serves beer and pretzels to those sitting in stadium seating would therefore constitute a "restaurant" even if the concessionaire does not possess a restaurant license from the VABC. Caution is indicated, because unfortunately, our legislators do not possess the gift of clarity when writing bills. An outdoor festival in a city park, for instance, should be okay for CC since meals and other foods are NOT "regularly sold" there. You get the idea...
We've been looking at ways to clarify this, but the best thing to do is just get rid of the restaurant ban on CC altogether.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

OC in Virginia is legal in that it is not disallowed by statute. No permit is required to do so.

OC is presently the only way to carry in restaurants and clubs which serve alcohol. I have told more than one person, "The governor required that I do it."

Yata hey

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

theschultz wrote:
Can we CC (with permit of course) in Alcohol Serving Establishments?

Have any of you OCd in one?

Dave
Marylander (ughhh), mailed permit to VA SP 12/18/09.
As has been mentioned, you must OC in establishments were ABC-ON is displayed.

"Have any of you OCd in one?". We do it all the time down here. I did yesterday. Come join us.. experience freedom for a change.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

ProShooter wrote:
Remember guys, that the CC prohibition only pertains to restaurants and clubs (4.1-100), not every place that serves alcoholic beverages. There's lots of ABC licensed places that serve where you can carry concealed. It all depends on what the license designation is.

This may be true, but it is just easier and safer legally to OC anywhere alcohol is served.

There is a lot of potential to make a mistake and wind up in a jam by trying to wend your way through arcane variations in the law when you could just take the straight line through it all by using OC anywhere alcohol is served.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:

"Have any of you OCd in one?". We do it all the time down here. I did yesterday. Come join us.. experience freedom for a change.
I do like that idea. :lol:

Notice - All Patrons MUST be armed. :celebrate

Yata hey

45acpForMe

imported post

ProShooter wrote:
ed wrote:
ProShooter wrote:
There's lots of ABC licensed places that serve where you can carry concealed.
Really? Can you list a couple of examples?
Sure... Wineries, Bed & Breakfast, Banquet Facility, Day Spa, Museum, Performing Arts Facility and any one of another 20 or 30 some odd places.
What about bowling alleys? The serve food and beer but are not considered a restaurant.

SouthernBoy

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
SouthernBoy wrote:

Yata hey
Wouldn't it be a kick to see a sign saying this? Oh my heavens, we can't do that. Think of the children.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
SouthernBoy wrote:

Yata hey
Wouldn't it be a kick to see a sign saying this? Oh my heavens, we can't do that. Think of the children.

Been there done that -

Gun town U.S.A., revisited - success of Kennesaw, GA's gun ownership requirement law in preventing crime

In March 1982, responding to the passage of a handgun ban in Morton Grove, Illinois, and the fawning media coverage that accompanied it, the city council of Kennesaw, Georgia, decided to make a statement of its own. With exceptions duly made for convicted felons, the disabled, and those with religious objections, the council passed (unanimously) an ordinance requiring each head of household to own and maintain a gun.

nova

imported post

45acpForMe wrote:
ProShooter wrote:
ed wrote:
ProShooter wrote:
There's lots of ABC licensed places that serve where you can carry concealed.
Really? Can you list a couple of examples?
Sure... Wineries, Bed & Breakfast, Banquet Facility, Day Spa, Museum, Performing Arts Facility and any one of another 20 or 30 some odd places.
What about bowling alleys? The serve food and beer but are not considered a restaurant.
Are they? They serve food and beer and usually have an area for people to eat at. Interesting

TFred

imported post

nova wrote:
45acpForMe wrote
Are they? They serve food and beer and usually have an area for people to eat at. Interesting
This was discussed here a while back. The CHP law defines restaurant differently than the ABC licenses do. Based on that, even though a bowling alley may not have a "Restaurant license" from the ABC, I think they do fall under the definition in 4.1-100.

But the places that ProShooter gave as examples don't.

TFred

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

TFred wrote:
nova wrote:
45acpForMe wrote
This was discussed here a while back. The CHP law defines restaurant differently than the ABC licenses do. Based on that, even though a bowling alley may not have a "Restaurant license" from the ABC, I think they do fall under the definition in 4.1-100.

But the places that ProShooter gave as examples don't.

TFred
Have OCd at bowling alleys in Richmond - just remember to use a good retention holster so no gutter guns. :)

Yata hey

SouthernBoy

imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
SouthernBoy wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
SouthernBoy wrote:

Yata hey

Been there done that -

Gun town U.S.A., revisited - success of Kennesaw, GA's gun ownership requirement law in preventing crime

In March 1982, responding to the passage of a handgun ban in Morton Grove, Illinois, and the fawning media coverage that accompanied it, the city council of Kennesaw, Georgia, decided to make a statement of its own. With exceptions duly made for convicted felons, the disabled, and those with religious objections, the council passed (unanimously) an ordinance requiring each head of household to own and maintain a gun.
I well remember that. Kennesaw did this for two reasons. 1) As you mentioned, to thumb their noses at Morton Grove and the mindless insanity of their town council, and 2) because of creeping criminal activity coming from the Atlanta area posed a threat to their little town and it made so much more sense for the people to be armed then to spend money on increasing the police budget.

The result? In the first year, Kennesaw saw a decrease of residential burglaries of 89% while Morton Grove enjoyed an increase of the same crimes of 43%.

What did Einstein say about insanity.....?

simmonsjoe

imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
Hawkflyer wrote:
SouthernBoy wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
SouthernBoy wrote:

Yata hey

Been there done that -

I well remember that. Kennesaw did this for two reasons. 1) As you mentioned, to thumb their noses at Morton Grove and the mindless insanity of their town council, and 2) because of creeping criminal activity coming from the Atlanta area posed a threat to their little town and it made so much more sense for the people to be armed then to spend money on increasing the police budget.

The result? In the first year, Kennesaw saw a decrease of residential burglaries of 89% while Morton Grove enjoyed an increase of the same crimes of 43%.

What did Einstein say about insanity.....?
Einstein said nothing about insanity. It is a common misquote.

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Albert_Einstein#Misattributed

Earliest Cite is by Rita Mae Brown.
http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Rita_Mae_Brown

"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results"

It deals with repeating an action and doesn't apply to the situation you discussed.

Happy New Year!