• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hornady Critical Defense .45 ACP

TehGruu

imported post

The only information I can find is on the manufacturer's site. Needless to say, I'm sure it might be a tad bit biased. I was wondering if anyone had any experience or could link some information. I trust it in my Sig Pro 9mm. However, I prefer my Colt Commander in .45. Currently I have it loaded with the Corbon +p with the polymer tip. However, I am looking to change my SD ammo.

Any information is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

http://www.hornady.com/store/45-ACP-185-gr-Critical-Defense/

-Gruu

ProtectedByGlock

imported post

I have a Glock 30 .45Auto sub-compact. My edc round is the Winchester Ranger 45Auto+P 230 Grain. This round is the replacement for the Black Talon which is no longer made. Check there website and you can download ballistics for the Ranger Ammo, it states that it is for LEO only but this is false, they sell to the public at gun shops or shows.......I put my life in its hand everyday.....It is basically the same as the black talon exept they no longer put the black lubalox on the casing.........Glock 30

" I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6 "

TehGruu

imported post

Hey, thanks for your reply! I would definately like to get a hold of some Ranger ammoto try out, unfortunately, I haven't been able to find any either online, or locally. :(

-Gruu

ProtectedByGlock

imported post

Teh, I sent you a PM with a website of a friend where you can purchase the Winchester Ranger .45 Auto round, check your messages.......Glock30

wally1120

imported post

Any idea of when the Critical Defense rounds will be coming out for the .45? I have a 9mm, And am carrying the Critical Defense rounds for that. So I wouldn`t mind loading Critical Defens in my .45

wally1120

imported post

Any idea of when the Critical Defense rounds will be coming out for the .45? I have a 9mm, And am carrying the Critical Defense rounds for that. So I wouldn`t mind loading Critical Defens in my .45

wally1120

imported post

Looks like I will have to keep an eye out at my Local Gun Store now. I can`t wait to load the Springer up with the new Ammo.:celebrate:celebrate

G20-IWB24/7

imported post

Hornady has a reputation for making very consistient ammo. All of the TAP that I've used in the past and the little bit of Critical Defense .38spl that I've fired has been very accurate and worked well. If it functions reliably in your weapon, I don't think there would be a good reason not to use it.

-G20

wally1120

imported post

I purchased some TAP`s a while ago, But wasent to happy with them. The TAP is the samething as the XTP, that I have used to relaod with. But the Critical Defense for the 9mm, I was very satisfied with that. So I am going to have to get the Critical Defense for the 45 now.

ocgso

imported post

TehGruu wrote:
The only information I can find is on the manufacturer's site. Needless to say, I'm sure it might be a tad bit biased. I was wondering if anyone had any experience or could link some information. I trust it in my Sig Pro 9mm. However, I prefer my Colt Commander in .45. Currently I have it loaded with the Corbon +p with the polymer tip. However, I am looking to change my SD ammo.

Any information is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

http://www.hornady.com/store/45-ACP-185-gr-Critical-Defense/

-Gruu

Can't speak to 45acp, however I have tried them in 38spl and love them.

My wife carries a S&W 38 airweight, and we shot multiple different hollowpoints at different targets. The only one that expanded in EVERY media EVERY shot was the critical defense. That is now the only HP for her 38 we have.

In addition, I was so impressed, I plan on loading my 9mm up with them (after a range trip to ensure cycling). They do what they are advertised to do, which is expand EVERY TIME.

I will carry critical defense in every gun I carry except for 357 mag (because at those velocities, any HP ammo will expand). That is how impressed I was with the expansion.

My two cents....

Ruger

Occupied Greensboro, North Carolina, United States
imported post

My SR9 is loaded with Critical Defense ammo any time I'm not at the range - 17+1 and an extra mag to boot. The co-owner of my local range claims that he's seen several Critical Defense squibs, but I haven't heard this anywhere else. I shot a box of the stuff on Sunday & it cycled perfectly. A bit less muzzle flash & recoil than I'm used to seeing with my typical range ammo (Remington UMC-FMJ or Federal Champion). Less recoil = tighter groups = :D

Critical Defense& Remington UMC-HP seemto be the only HP SD ammo I can find locally. Hoping to find some other premium HP SDammoat the Greensboro Gun Show Feb 6-7th .

ProtectedByGlock

imported post

The crital defense is a much better round in my opinion, I used to have the Hornady TAP .45 ACP+P for self-defense round. After coming home each night I unchambered the round in the pipe and in the morning I would reload(switch up round on top) and put firearm into battery. After a week the casing on the TAP round was losing tightness around the Bullet and was coming out of casing. When I contacted Hornaday I shipped them back to them and got a replacement box. I did not get the TAP, I got box #9096 .45 ACP+P 230grain which I have had no problems. Hornady told me that I was racking the slide to roughly...LOL, I pull the slide back slowly and and do not release it so it slams into battery. Anyway they sent me a new box no charge. I just had to pay for shipping back to them (UPS) and they also let me know that all of the TAP rounds will no longer have the black shell casing, It is now siver nickel non-corrosive round. I might give'em another shot. I am happy with the .45 Critcal-Defense rounds I recently purchased. I let 5 rounds go downrange this weekend to see how they felt in my EDC gun and I liked it, the polymer tip is nice so that clothing will not affect expansion of the round....Be safe and have a good week....Glock 30

ProtectedByGlock

imported post

www.gunsandammo.com/content/critical-defense?page=1 Heres a good article in guns & ammo.... I have been trying toget expansion pictures myself with no luck....I learned a little more about these rounds reading this though. If anyone finds better ballistic info please let us know....Another great round is the Winchestor Ranger .45+p 230 grain T-Series...Winchestors website has pictures and ballistics on all the LEO rounds. On there website download the LEO print catalog on bottum left of page and it gives all ballisic info including all types of obsticales the bullet travels thru... I carry this round also, OUTSTANDING...Thanks, G30

Cava3r4

imported post

I carry golden saber 45 ACP + P in my Kimber Polymer Target.
That is the same round the local police use!
HTH
Bob

ProtectedByGlock

imported post

I E-mailed Hornady Technical Suoort and asked for the Diminsion Expansion of the .45 ACP caliber in the Critical Self-Defense Rounds Here is what I wrote, and the reply from a Tech at Hornady...Be Safe and always know your options if something b4 were to take place. (I.E. exit,cover, and any other opions around you) Later, JM. (A.K.A. GLOCK30)

Valiantrob

imported post

I love this round. I use it in my Kimber and iwould trust my life with it. all i can say is buy a box and try it out