• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carried in Hospital!

greengum

imported post

I made my way back to the PRK a week before Xmas from Vegas. I had an appointment at Kaiser to get this random thing growing on my hand cut off. It has taken 6 referrals 5 co-pays and 6 months to get it done. In frustration I decided to open carry unloaded for the procedure.

As I walked in and checked in nobody seemed to notice. I was told to go to the 3rd floor. Once I got there I sat down and picked up Motherly monthly or some random crap magazine. There were about 8 people waiting in the same room and someone had said "gun". Now everyone was staring at me. I waved and said "good morning" to the crowd.

10 minutes go by and a mail nurse calls my name. As I am walking to him he says, "HOLY SH!T WHAT IS THAT!!!!"

I responded, "It is a colt .38 special"
Nurse: Oh......well lets get you back here and get your blood pressure. Can I ask why do you carry?

Me: Yeah, because it is easier then carrying a cop
Nurse:(laughs) cool, well lets get you in room 304 so the doctor can see you.

Doc comes in and says " I hear I have a patient with a gun!"
I responded, "yes sir, I am an avid supporter of the constitution."

He injects my hand with some numbing stuff. At this point I ask if the gun makes him uncomfortable. After all you will be cutting me.

Doc says "I grew up in texas and I hunt all the time. It doesn't bother me one bit. Also my father taught me at a young age not to bring a knife to a gun fight so as long as you don't fight, everything will be good.

We go to the clean room to get this thing cut off. It only takes about 10 minutes and about half way through the doc starts laughing. He then says, "you know I am going to have one hell of a story to tell. I don't know anyone who has operated on an armed man before!

Everything goes really well till I am about to leave. As I enter the elevator 4 people who are all dressed the same follow me to the front door. I exit and they had stopped. I looked over my shoulder again to see an older guy and a younger thug looking guy following me. I get all the way to my car ad I am about to unholster and put my gun in my trunk when I hear "SIR SIR STOP"

The 2 guys are almost jogging to me. They have kaiser name cards but I have no idea who these people are. The older guy stops about 3 feet from me. The younger thug gets right in my face. This is the closest I have ever been to actually pulling a weapon. I take 2 steps back and unlatch my gun with my hand on the handle. I am praying they don;t know it is unloaded. I have my other hand in my pocket gripping the speed loader. The thug guy has that look, you guys know the look. He is ready to fight.

The older guy sees this and yells at the top of his lungs to the younger guy to back off. He does and I relatch and greet the older guy with a "hello".

Older security: "As you know kaiser has a no gun policy.
Me: Sir, how would I know your policy
Older security: Well you have that gun all out in the open
Me: I am just following state law and it has to be in the open
OS: Oh, well you seemed to scare some people but I spoke with your doctor and he didn't have a problem with it.
Me: Soooooo what is the problem?
OS:Well next time you come here would you mind leaving it safely in your car?
Me: lol, man I got things I gotta go do, you have a nice day

As I leave I see about 20 people standing outside the front door all talking. Scratching their heads wondering what just happened. In this crazy crazy world an American following the laws and our Constitution simply went to the doctor and a mild December day.

OPS MARINE

imported post

That's a good story, and I think you did the right thing. You had no idea who was running up on you. I don't understand how some people can be so stupid. You were leaving, after causing no problems at all. Ridiculous.

Poblacht32

imported post

LOL that is great! The doctor obviously didn't have any problem with it so I wonder why these other people got all worked up over nothing. My best friend works at Kaiser out here so I'll have to tell him about this.

pullnshoot25

imported post

OPS MARINE wrote:
That's a good story, and I think you did the right thing. You had no idea who was running up on you. I don't understand how some people can be so stupid. You were leaving, after causing no problems at all. Ridiculous.
I have found that people tend to make an issue as you leave.

To the OP, you are my hero. Great friggin story.

coolusername2007

imported post

Hey Greengum, great story. Again, the regular folks prove the point that guns in public are OK...that is OCis an accepted practice. Its the hall monitors and other control-freak ninnies that have a problem with OC.

A couple of notes though, if I may...

1. Don't let anyone get that close to you when you're UOC'ing and you don't know who they are. I get it that they had hall monitor IDs or something, and you did step back, but its probably safer for them and yourself to keep some level of minimum personal space around you at all times.

2. Don't get caught with your hand in your pocket reaching for your speed loader. I would recommend training yourself to reach for the speed loader first, removing it long before reaching for your gun. Or on another note, you may want to carry a folding blade and reaching for that first without retracting the blade, but having it at the ready.

Just some thoughts/suggestions. Again great story.

greengum

imported post

I am just so used to it being loaded that I haven't practiced at all. I guess I just got used to living in a 2A state. I recommend all the Kalifornia guys to visit Vegas and see what it is like. If any of you guys are planning a trip up here PM me.

Looks like coolusername is right and I will be going to the range tomorrow to practice.

greengum

imported post

To pullandshoot, you sir are my hero. It was your video's and blogs that got me over the hump to actually OC in california and to participate in a group event with chewy and username amongst others. :celebrate

Also this took place at the new Kaiser building in Anaheim next to fry's on La Palma for those of you interested

demnogis

imported post

For some reason I thought it was unlawful to possess a firearm in a hospital. For the life of me I cannot locate an applicable penal code.

However, most hospitals are state-funded, rarer few are federally funded. Kaiser is a privately owned and operated corp last I checked though...

greengum

imported post

It is private and I made sure to read all the stuff posted on the front door. All that was there were 1965342 signs saying there is no smoking.

oc4ever

imported post

The no gun policy is probably in the employee handbook and rules. Since you are not an employee, good luck enforcing that rule.

You really did not think you were going to show up for a medical procedure at a hospital wearing a gun and not stir some sh*t up? Great story.

helldiablo

imported post

awsome love it i would of put it away in the trunk then challenged him to a good old fashion bare knuckle fight if he didant leave me alone good job well done

Nopal

imported post

I'm familiar with Kaiser security. Most arevery reasonable and professional, there to do their job, butsome are utter idiots,thekind thatI wouldn'twant near patients,let alone put in charge of it'ssecurity. What was that younger guy thinking? LOL!!

Great story!

Streetbikerr6

imported post

helldiablo wrote:
awsome love it i would of put it away in the trunk then challenged him to a good old fashion bare knuckle fight if he didant leave me alone good job well done
Lol not advised! but wouldn't that be awesome? A law that afforded for a legal mutually agreed upon fist fight? Now you just have to give him the finger and walk away. . no fun.