• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

When traveling through Nevada, what do I need to do in my vehicle?

hibby76

imported post

I have a Utah permit (and still disappointed that we lost reciprocity with you guys) and pass through Nevada from time to time. So I'll be OC'ing there until I get a NV permit. What do I need to do (or not do) while driving and getting in and out of my vehicle?

I suspect I can either display my weapon or have it disassembled and/or locked up in some form. Would keeping it on the dashboard qualify as "open"? What about sitting on the back seat or on the drivers side seat? What about keeping in on my hip on an external holster?

Can I OC chambered or does the chamber have to be empty? I realize that these are basic questions for NV, but thank you.

Thanks!

Vegassteve

imported post

When driving as long as it is not concelaed on your person it is good to go. You can have it in the seat next to you or in the gove box etc.. Just not CC on you if you do not have a CCW that NV recognizes.

hibby76

imported post

Great. Thanks for the links. It looks like chambered (for a pistol) is just fine during open carry (for anyone else who might have the same question).

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

"what do I need to do in my vehicle?"

Oh man... I'm trying so hard not to say anything...

You've got pants on, right? :p

Bennelli

imported post

Don't get a NV CFP, that is what they want, revenue from us! Get a CFP from another State that NV accepts, like TN for example good for 36 states. Boycott , Las Vegas! I have in-laws theresoa visit every couple of years is in order, but I will spend as little money in NV, I will fill up in St. George, UT and eat the in-law's food! I will never again go to the strip! If every Utah CFP holder does this and their families it will add up, and I heard that City needs every dollar it can get!

Sabotage70

imported post

Bennelli wrote:
Don't get a NV CFP, that is what they want, revenue from us! Get a CFP from another State that NV accepts, like TN for example good for 36 states. Boycott , Las Vegas! I have in-laws there so a visit every couple of years is in order, but I will spend as little money in NV, I will fill up in St. George, UT and eat the in-law's food! I will never again go to the strip! If every Utah CFP holder does this and their families it will add up, and I heard that City needs every dollar it can get!
Thats funny I feel the same about Utah. There not going to let me get a ccw because I got a DUI on a boat over 12 years ago and now have been sober over 8 years now. F'it mine is still good there.:p We will being doing our vacation up there in Zion NP and do a OHV little riding up there. I'll make sure I gas up in Mesquite, NV and bring all the food we need. And not only will I be practicing my 2A rights but I will make sure I practice my 1 A rights too. I have plenty of shirts to do that. :celebrate

Bennelli

imported post

Sabotage70 wrote:
Bennelli wrote:
There not going to let me get a ccw because I got a DUI on a boat over 12 years ago and now have been sober over 8 years now.
There must be something else to your story? When was the case closed? 12 years is longer then what the Utah BCI instructed the CFP Instructors last March.

Utah accepts all CFP States! :celebrateWelcome to Utah, have fun then go home! :p

I Love Utah!

Sabotage70

imported post

Nah that's it. I never sent in the application. While reading the form I noticed that it ask:Have you ever been convicted of an offense involving the use of alcohol?
It doesn't say anything about how long ago so I was sure if there if there was any statute of limitations or not. So I figured I would just save my money and not send it in. If I remember come this monday I guess I could give BCI a call and find out for sure. I think my paperwork from the class is good for a year and that will expire in about a month.

timf343

Campaign Veteran
imported post

NV is actually one of those states. A violation of NRS 484.379 in the last 5 years is a disqualifying reason for CCW under NRS 202.3657. I cannot find Utah law explaining whether the age of the conviction matters.

The Utah law regarding CCWs denials is here:

http://www.le.utah.gov/UtahCode/getCodeSection?code=53-5-704

The law does allow the issuing authority to consider mitigating circumstances, but I see no reference to the length of time. There is also permission to the commissioner of the DPS to create administrative rules, of which I see none related to CCW:

http://www.rules.utah.gov/publicat/code.htm#PublicSaf

Tim