• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Indianapolis- shopping and shooting

Slayer of Paper

imported post

I'm new to Indianapolis- transplant from Phoenix, AZ for work.

For the folks here in the Indianapolis area, where do you go to shoot? Is there a wilderness area near enough that people go to shoot, or is there a range you like?

Also, I'm looking for a good gun store- a place to go to shop, hang out with gun people, and just be around like-minded folks.

Thanks!

squisher

imported post

Some of the other Indiana members on here will be able to answer better as to what's available around the Indy area.

I think PopGuns has an indoor range (not heard anything about the quality, and not been there myself).

Camp Atterbury has a public range as well, $7.50 an hour with a 2 hour minimum I believe, but that may have changed as it's been a while since I looked it up.

I live about an hour south of Indy, and I typically go to the outdoor range at Crosley Fish & wildlife area a little bit south of Vernon. The best part about Crosley is that it's free, but it is quite remote.

Section32

imported post

Welcome to Indy. There are only two decent gun shops in the area. Plainfield Shooting Supplies and Bradis in Camby.

As far as ranges, I don't do indoor so I can't help you there. The only outdoor range left in Marion County is Marion County Fish & Game I. Speedway. I am a member there and really like it. It is totally self-serve but nice and not usually crowded.

Section32

imported post

GLOCKMAN40 wrote:
Where is the shooting range in speedway, I'm a GSSF Range Officer and would like to put in some practics befor this years shoot @ Eagle Creek.
It's off of 136 heading toward IRP. Search for the website. You have to be a member to shoot there. $100/ yr.

One Old Vet

imported post

The public range at Camp Atterbury was remodeled a few years ago and is an EXCELLENT range for both long guns, rifles and shotgun. Big safety freaks and they don't like you shooting up their infrastructure :)

My favorite guns shops are:

Elmores, South Meridan Street, Indianapolis (Assault weapons & .50 Cals)

Bradis Guns, Camby (Authorized Glock Dealer)

Plainfield Shooting Supplies, Plainfield (reloading supplies & equipment) Home of the Glock Doctor

POPS Guns (Also has indoor range - Needs more supervision - can be dangerous to shoot here) Lot of gangsta wannabe's hang out here

Outdoorsman, US 135 South, Greenwood (reloading supplies & equipment)

I have a few gun reviews on my web site at http://oneoldvet.com.

Welcome to Indy...

LordTio3

imported post

I have lived around Indianapolis for years now. Personally, living just south of Indy, I find it easy and convenient to take 31 or 65 down about 20-30 minutes to Edinburgh and their outdoor shooting range as well.

Good facility. Inexpensive (5.00 rental and 5.00 per hour I believe- don't quote me) and right near the Outlet Mall down there if you feel like going. Head to lunch nearby and you've got yourself a day-plan.

Hope this helps.

~LT

Glock19Dude

imported post

I've been to 2 different gun stores in Indy and only shot at 1 of them. I've been to Don's Guns on State Rd 31 or 38 (sorry can't remember) anyways the range looked kinda crappy and the store location is a little sketchy. I hear most people say the same thing about that location "I wouldn't go in there without a loaded weapon" I just went to PopsGuns the other weekend and the shooting range only had 5 lanes and I felt like I was shooting in someone's basement. They had a metal post in the middle of the range which struck me as kind of odd, but if you shoot straight you shouldn't hit it. I live and have a membership at a place in Lafayette which has 15 lanes and is a very clean place. Hopefully this helps, I wasn't trying to bash those places....just sharing my experiences.

DarkRose

imported post

squisher wrote:
Some of the other Indiana members on here will be able to answer better as to what's available around the Indy area.

I think PopGuns has an indoor range (not heard anything about the quality, and not been there myself).

Camp Atterbury has a public range as well, $7.50 an hour with a 2 hour minimum I believe, but that may have changed as it's been a while since I looked it up.

I live about an hour south of Indy, and I typically go to the outdoor range at Crosley Fish & wildlife area a little bit south of Vernon. The best part about Crosley is that it's free, but it is quite remote.

I remember when Atterbury's range was free and un-manned, I've heard with the changes in the last few years it's not very "public-friendly" anymore. Basically a bunch of safety nazis on power trips. Not been there myself in the last 10 years or so, and I'm all for safety, but I hear they go way above and beyond to the fact that it's detrimental.

I also heard it's in danger of closing again...

Ceraland in Columbus also has a range, and contrary to popular belief, it is a public range, as it was built with DNR funds. Only conditions is either a $1 or $2 usage fee per visit, no autos, and one of their "safety" people present. I say that in quotes because the last time I was there the kid watching me(teenager probably) asked why I couldn't just shoot a lodged bullet out of the barrel... (I was burning up some complete JUNK Russian .22 LR, ended up burying most of it unwrapped, heh.) He also just sat there on the trunk of his car with no hearing protection, made me wish I'd brought my 870 and sighted in slugs that day...

It is a pretty decent range, though only has one 100 yard slot, ifI remember. Couple 50 yards, and a handful of 25 or 10 yard pistol slots...