• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun Show OC Etiquette

DocV

imported post

Went to the Va Beach show today,

The Trooper at the safety table was asking people if they had ammunition on their persons. If the response was positive they were given a plastic baggie and asked to "check their ammo". :banghead:

I know why this kind of "safety theater" is performed but I just have to shake my head at the silliness of it. Less than 30 feet away, inside the doors are thousands of rounds of ammo in every concievable caliber (Except for 148 gr .38 Special WC! I couldn't find any!)

DocV

johnfenter

imported post

Not to mention the availability of common magazines inside the show as well. I have pointed out in the past to show promoters the complete lack of measures that would stop a sociopath or terrorist from buying mags and ammo and loading back up inside the show; they acknowledged the truth, but insist that their policy is not designed to stop the BAD guy, just the STUPID guy....

DocV wrote:

The Trooper at the safety table was asking people if they had ammunition on their persons. If the response was positive they were given a plastic baggie and asked to "check their ammo". :banghead:

I know why this kind of "safety theater" is performed but I just have to shake my head at the silliness of it. Less than 30 feet away, inside the doors are thousands of rounds of ammo in every concievable caliber (Except for 148 gr .38 Special WC! I couldn't find any!)

DocV

AIC869

imported post

DocV wrote:
Went to the Va Beach show today,...

...inside the doors are thousands of rounds of ammo in every concievable caliber (Except for 148 gr .38 Special WC! I couldn't find any!)

DocV
Try Mac's Reloading. He runs his own home reloading business and may have it if you're not dead-set on factory ammo. I've bought from him both at the show (including factory ammo when no one else had it) and at his home. Prices are fair in comparison to any other local source. If not, then he may be able to point you toward someone else in town who does. 757-479-0849

MSC 45ACP

imported post

DocV wrote:

DocV

Bridget (First-born daughter) and I also went to the show today. When we approached the "cop table" where a VB cop and VSP trooper were, I pulled my jacket to the side, removed my magazine and handed it to him. I told him I didn't have a round in the chamber. I slowly drew my pistol from my Serpa and kept it pointed downward and was about to lock the slide to the rearbut he asked me to just hand it to him in battery and he locked the slide to the rear. I guess if it gives him a warm-fuzzy to do it, no problem. When Bridget went to the cop at the table (right after I did mine) I instructed her to remove her mag and hand it to him. He asked her if she had a round chambered and she also said no. She did the same and handed her Glock 21SF to the cop.

No one asked if we had extra rounds. Don't ask, don't tell. I had fingernail clippers handy in another pocket. Never found a smallbore match rifle I was looking for, but got my son an old messkit I've been looking for (at the right price). Also got # 2 daughter beef jerkey that she requested.

Decent show, a lot of interesting rifles, but not what I was looking for.

t33j

imported post

Loaded and unchambered it is then.

Thanks for the responses.

PS 45ACP I also live in Yorktown

DocV

imported post

MSC,

Did they ask you to check the mag you handed them? I was at the show a little after 9. The guy in front of me did the same as youand they put the mag in a plastic bag with a red sticker on it and asked him to write his name on the bag. Maybe people complained?

AIC,

Thanks for the info. If it was his table in the far corner, people were three deep around it when I went by.

DocV

SoldierMedic

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

It's sort of like being on an army range... we all know how to be safe with our firearms (theoretically), but theres ALWAYS some jerkwad who screws it up for the rest of us, so stupid rules are enforced. It's the rules of the game. You want in to the gun show? You play by the rules. I hate the rules too, but I came to THEIR property, THEIR event, so I'm going to do what they want, so I can ogle and drool over pretty guns that I can't afford. :cool:

Even so, I would like to see promoters be more CC friendly... ie letting those with CHPs carry loaded if they present their permit at the cop desk... but that probably makes too much sense. (And I'm sure it would be seen as disenfranchising OCers).

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

skidmark wrote:
I'm not bashing anybody about the availability or unavailability of unloading barrels at gunshows, because there are any number of reasons why they are not commonly available.

We are all responsible for our own behavior and the consequences of our behavior. There are any number of ways to bring a firearm to a gunshow - even when that firearm is our every-day carry self defence weapon.

Even when the gods are against you and the pooch ends up getting screwed in spite of everything you did exactly perfectly to prevent that from happening, you are responsible for the consequences of the pooch getting screwed.

Do your best to be safe. Stay away from people who behave in an unsafe manner. It is your choice whether or not to, and how to if you take option A, speak to/with/at them about their unsafe behavior.

The OP wanted to know "the ettiquette" of dealing with a loaded handgun as he enters a gun show. A few of us have kicked that around for him. A few others have indicated that they are more than likely to disobey rules for their own convenience.

To me the bottom line is that as patrons of gun shows we should behave in such a manner as will encourage the promoters to continue holding gun shows without needing to resort to draconian measures such as pat-down searches before being allowed to buy your ticket. But if you want to push them in that direction, just remember that you are responsible for the consequences of your behavior.

stay safe.

skidmark
Everyone has to make their own decisions unless it reflects on others. Gunshows are private affairs. You don't have a right to go to one and the promoter has no obligation to let you in.

If it were just people I know and I know are responsible, I'd say stick it in your pocket and go in.

Unfortunately, there's a lot of stoopid in this world. The last thing I want is to have an AD in a crowded space like a Gunshow, Granted, it might just get rid of a few people I dislike...that would be a good thing. It might also get rid of me and despite some opinions, that would be a bad thing from my point of view.

Do you have to carry a gun everywhere. I certainly hope not.
Could your gun be stolen out of the trunk. Maybe but I've been leaving one in the trunk and truck for more years than I like to think about. The only gun that's been stolen from me was by a worthless gunsmith Kurt something or the other KKF firearms. He just never did the work and returned it.
Thankfully, he's dead now so that's a dead issue.

If it concerns you that much, leave it at home...

Gunshows are private and we need to follow the promoters rules or not go. If not we may not have them anymore.

simmonsjoe

imported post

skidmark wrote:
The OP asked about ettiquette. Consensus about frequent attendeesseems to beto either unload in the car and reload there as well, or to unload just outside the doors and reload as you are leaving the ziptie desk.

The only thing I want to ask for on a personal note is that you do whatever manipulations in a safe manner. Discretion is nice, but safety is mandatory.

stay safe.

skidmark
+1

simmonsjoe

imported post

virginiatuck wrote:
Here's something to ponder:

Let's say you go inside the front door, un-holster your loaded firearm there, and point it in a "safe" direction, presumably the floor, to unload it. Somehow the chambered round discharges. What do you think happens after the bullet strikes the floor?

In my opinion, there is absolutely no safe direction to point *any* gun while at a show.
We have discussed that before, it is an interesting issue. I suggested someone provide a clearing barrel with VCDL advertisements to the gun shows, but someone pointed out it could lead to liability issues. I would say bring any gun you intend to handle for show and tell / work / grips unloaded to begin with.

simmonsjoe

imported post

Some people brought up valid complaints about my 1st post.

Gun Shows have these rules for safety and to reduce liability.

Others have discussed how there is gonna be some guy who Fs up for everyone by shooting the floor, and how that is due to poor handling of a firearm. I add, remember many people at these shows don't handle guns regularly, and do not have the proper gear to do so safely. Some of use carry daily and have good gear.

I would never carry a firearm I intend to have looked at / worked on / sell / show and tell loaded to a show.
I eschew any unnecessary handling of loaded firearms. Keeping a loaded firearm in its holster is safer than unloading it. Even if I see some nice new grips for my BUG or something, I have the willpower and obsessive safety habits not to handle it.

That being said, others are also correct in that this was a little off topic and I apologize.

Etiquette. Well, safety first of course. Remember the 1st rule of gun safety. Treat every firearm as if it is loaded. Even if it has a zip-tie in it! If you don't have proper gear, DO NOT SHOVE THE GUN IN YOUR POCKET/PANTS! If you don't have gear, Field Strip your pistol at the house.

ChinChin

imported post

To this day I still find it odd to see the big yellow signs at the Chantilly gun show which states "No loaded firearms; no exceptions" yet I can count at minimum at least 6 state and county cops every show who seem to not abide by that "no exception" part of the sign while they're inside the building.

So those loaded firearms are alright and don't have any liability issues; how do I get one of those magic firearms?

wylde007

imported post

ChinChin wrote:
So those loaded firearms are alright and don't have any liability issues; how do I get one of those magic firearms?
Get a badge?

I understand that Commonwealth's Attorneys also have magic guns that won't shoot anyone when concealed at a dining establishment that serves alcohol.:?

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

wylde007 wrote:
ChinChin wrote:
Get a badge?

I understand that Commonwealth's Attorneys also have magic guns that won't shoot anyone when concealed at a dining establishment that serves alcohol.:?
Some badges just don't have the juju.

Inmate shot a deputy and stabbed anotherhttp://news.oldva.org/blogroll/inmate-shot-a-deputy-and-stabbed-another/

Deputies Losing Guns ..againhttp://news.oldva.org/blogroll/deputies-losing-guns-again/

t33j

imported post

45acpForMe wrote:
Yes there are a couple people in Yorktown.  I know at least two of us prefer 45acp. :cool:

Come to one of the open carry dinners and meet other OC-ers. :)
Sure thing. Are they held regularly?

wolf-father

imported post

I unload before going in for my safety. Becouse the first gun show I ever went to out here was the Hampton Gun Show it was a privet security guy tieing guns and he was muzzle sweeping the whole room trying to figure out how to get the slide back (it was unloaded) but still does not give me a warm fuzzy and refused help or instruction. I went inside and told a V.S.T I saw what happened. I came out and the security guy was no where to be seen.