• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anyone know what PC might apply to UOC of a Carbine/LongGun?

Livermoron

imported post

Hi Group,

Maybe one of you more experienced folks out there can answer this question? One, is is legal (still) and what are the limmitations/allowences for UOC of a carbine or long gun in CA?

Livermoron

wewd

imported post

PC 12031 applies to all firearms, so it must be unloaded, though you may have ammunition on your person.

PC 12025 does not apply to long guns, so you may carry it openly or concealed.

PC 626.9 does not apply to the transportation of long guns, so as long as you are "transporting" the long gun through the school zone, it does not need to be locked up, unless it is a registered assault weapon, then it must always be locked up when transporting. People v. Overturf found that "carry" and "transport" are the same thing.

All of the other usual places are still off limits, such as government buildings, courthouses, jails/prisons, school property, etc.

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

For the most part, the same rules apply. However, a long gun isnt considered concealable.

The problem with UOC of a long gun though, is that unlike a holstered pistol, there are concerns over muzzle discipline, retention, and the appearance of handling a firearm unecessarily.

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

pullnshoot25: that link goes to the article about the victim of a robbery got shot.

livermoron: There's also the GFSZ federal law that has been ruled unconstitutional but is still on the books. I've carried long rifles in school zones and I do not fear being prosecuted for it. The sad reality is that a federal prosecutor could bring charges against anybody who does carry an unlocked rifle inside a school zone.