• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

1st public open carry.

eb8301

imported post

open carried for the first time in my local food lion, 27613 off lynn rd and 70. i walked in the left door, and i OC on my right. grabbed a cart pushed past the customer service desk where a manager was helping a customer. he looked really hard @ my firearm, but didnt say anything. i walked maybe 10-15 ft away and i heard him over the intercom ask for another manager to the service desk. i had 10 items to pick up throughout the store so i was in there maybe 10-15 min. i wasnt in a rush, but i was able to go about my normal shopping routine w/ no flack. had a short irrelevent discussion w/ the cashier and i noticed the bag boy also looking @ my firearm. didnt say anything.

i was quite nervious when he asked for another manager to the service desk as well as when it was time to confront the cashier. any suggestions to get over my nerviousness or is this to be expected when i OC?

JDriver1.8t

imported post

If you are nervous about it, it shows, and makes people more aware of you as well.

The more comfortable you are, and the more natural it is for you, the less people will notice.

ocgso

imported post

It takes time, but you will get used to it. It is like carrying a cell phone on your belt, you just get used to it being there.

Just always be mentally prepared for the questions you will get. I urge everyone who wants to open carry to read the experiences that others have had on this forum. By reading their experiences, you will be more prepared for those discussions when they come up.

Welcome and best of luck.

Duramax

imported post

Eb, in my opinion it is normal and the more you carry the more natural it will become and then you will get to a point where you feel wierd without it. I remember the first time I oced, I had taken my family to Golden Corral in Statesville for dinner and while we were eating three LEO's came in to eat. While I got several looks from them not a word was said.

Welcome and carry on!

Morh

Hubert (One-Slow County), North Carolina, USA
imported post

now the questions i get most often around here is from people in the corps from up north, about how hard it was to get my license to carry my pistol and they are usually surprised to find out you dont need one to OC only a permit to buy and Lic to CCP

other then that just relax.

Gilly

imported post

I OC in my local Food Lion all the time. I have had a few people ask me about it but have never had an issue. Like most things, the more you do it the more natural it will feel. Congratulations on taking your first step into a larger world.

wylde007

imported post

Congratulations on popping your own OC cherry. It is intimidating not knowing what could happen, uncharted territory and all that.

I'm glad it worked out for you. Keep it up and do your best to educate others!;)