• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Firearms prohibited sign on Seattle Link Light Rail?

Daath 474

imported post

I would assume that "unlawful firearms" would be stolen pistols and firearms in the possession of criminals. You are lawfully carrying a firearm, so it shouldn't be a problem. ;-)

amzbrady

imported post

Daath 474 wrote:
I would assume that "unlawful firearms" would be stolen pistols and firearms in the possession of criminals. You are lawfully carrying a firearm, so it shouldn't be a problem. ;-)
Only problem is the other sign just says "No Firearms Allowed".

KB 88

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Ugh. All explained in the FAQ's. 9.91.025 "Unlawful Bus Conduct" specifically protects the lawful transport of guns or ammo on transit vehicles or on transit property. That means if you are legally carrying, they can't stop you. Of course a CPL is required for loaded carry of a handgun on a vehicle, open or concealed.

hermannr

Ugh. All explained in the FAQ's. 9.91.025 "Unlawful Bus Conduct" specifically protects the lawful transport of guns or ammo on transit vehicles or on transit property. That means if you are legally carrying, they can't stop you. Of course a CPL is required for loaded carry of a handgun on a vehicle, open or concealed.

However, even though you, normal citizen, do normally need a CPL for loaded OC in or on a vehicle, that is not always true..see RCW 9.41.060(8).

Also, the authorities cannot demand your CPL or your ID just because you are OC'ing. There has to be something else first, even if you are in or on a vehicle. Carry is a legal activity (Article 1 Section 24 WA constitution) We are innocent until proven guilty, no? and we are also supposed to be safe from unreasonable seach and siezure (Article 1 Section 7 WA constitution)

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
However, even though you, normal citizen, do normally need a CPL for loaded OC in or on a vehicle, that is not always true..see RCW 9.41.060(8).

Also, the authorities cannot demand your CPL or your ID just because you are OC'ing. There has to be something else first, even if you are in or on a vehicle. Carry is a legal activity (Article 1 Section 24 WA constitution) We are innocent until proven guilty, no? and we are also supposed to be safe from unreasonable seach and siezure (Article 1 Section 7 WA constitution)

While law enforcement cannot just demand your CPL for open carrying, once they see you are carrying a firearm and enter an area where a CPL is required they have PC to demand your CPL as it would be reasonable to believe that the firearm is loaded.

Why is there such a paranoia on the issue of providing a CPL where one is required to have one, or even identification for that matter, this and not to be construed as joe citizen walking down the street, two different circumstances.

Now of course the exception of RCW 9.41.060(8) lets not forget the portion,

(8) Any person engaging in a lawful outdoor recreational activity such as hunting, fishing, camping, hiking, or horseback riding, only if, considering all of the attendant circumstances, including but not limited to whether the person has a valid hunting or fishing license, it is reasonable to conclude that the person is participating in lawful outdoor activities or is traveling to or from a legitimate outdoor recreation area;

Which we do not have the circumstances surrounding the activity.

Last edited:

slapmonkay

Campaign Veteran
As you read down the list, you maybe cited for RCW 9.911.025, hmmm now where would find this RCW? :lol:

Nice typo lol, you would think they would double check that before final print. I assume they mean RCW 9.91.025 (edit: seems its called out earlier in thread), which seems to specifically say:

RCW 9.91.025 Unlawful Transit Conduct. said:
(1) A person is guilty of unlawful transit conduct if, while on or in a transit vehicle or in or at a transit station, he or she knowingly:

(a) Smokes or carries a lighted or smoldering pipe, cigar, or cigarette, unless he or she is smoking in an area designated and authorized by the transit authority;

(b) Discards litter other than in designated receptacles;

(c) Dumps or discards, or both, any materials on or at a transit facility including, but not limited to, hazardous substances and automotive fluids;

(d) Plays any radio, recorder, or other sound-producing equipment, except that nothing herein prohibits the use of the equipment when connected to earphones or an ear receiver that limits the sound to an individual listener. The use of public address systems or music systems that are authorized by a transit agency is permitted. The use of communications devices by transit employees and designated contractors or public safety officers in the line of duty is permitted, as is the use of private communications devices used to summon, notify, or communicate with other individuals, such as pagers and cellular phones;

(e) Spits, expectorates, urinates, or defecates, except in appropriate plumbing fixtures in restroom facilities;

(f) Carries any flammable liquid, explosive, acid, or other article or material likely to cause harm to others, except that nothing herein prevents a person from carrying a cigarette, cigar, or pipe lighter or carrying a firearm or ammunition in a way that is not otherwise prohibited by law;

(g) Consumes an alcoholic beverage or is in possession of an open alcoholic beverage container, unless authorized by the transit authority and required permits have been obtained;

(h) Obstructs or impedes the flow of transit vehicles or passenger traffic, hinders or prevents access to transit vehicles or stations, or otherwise unlawfully interferes with the provision or use of public transportation services;

(i) Unreasonably disturbs others by engaging in loud, raucous, unruly, harmful, or harassing behavior;

(j) Destroys, defaces, or otherwise damages property in a transit vehicle or at a transit facility;

(k) Throws an object in a transit vehicle, at a transit facility, or at any person at a transit facility with intent to do harm;

(l) Possesses an unissued transfer or fare media or tenders an unissued transfer or fare media as proof of fare payment;

(m) Falsely claims to be a transit operator or other transit employee or through words, actions, or the use of clothes, insignia, or equipment resembling department-issued uniforms and equipment, creates a false impression that he or she is a transit operator or other transit employee;

(n) Engages in gambling or any game of chance for the winning of money or anything of value;

(o) Skates on roller skates or in-line skates, or rides in or upon or by any means a coaster, skateboard, toy vehicle, or any similar device. However, a person may walk while wearing skates or carry a skateboard while on or in a transit vehicle or in or at a transit station if that conduct is not otherwise prohibited by law; or

(p) Engages in other conduct that is inconsistent with the intended use and purpose of the transit facility, transit station, or transit vehicle and refuses to obey the lawful commands of an agent of the transit authority or a peace officer to cease such conduct.

(2) For the purposes of this section:

(a) "Transit station" or "transit facility" means all passenger facilities, structures, stops, shelters, bus zones, properties, and rights-of-way of all kinds that are owned, leased, held, or used by a transit authority for the purpose of providing public transportation services.

(b) "Transit vehicle" means any motor vehicle, street car, train, trolley vehicle, ferry boat, or any other device, vessel, or vehicle that is owned or operated by a transit authority or an entity providing service on behalf of a transit authority that is used for the purpose of carrying passengers on a regular schedule.

(c) "Transit authority" means a city transit system under RCW 35.58.2721 or chapter 35.95A RCW, a county transportation authority under chapter 36.57 RCW, a metropolitan municipal corporation transit system under chapter 36.56 RCW, a public transportation benefit area under chapter 36.57A RCW, an unincorporated transportation benefit area under RCW 36.57.100, a regional transportation authority under chapter 81.112 RCW, or any special purpose district formed to operate a public transportation system.

(3) Any person who violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor.

Last edited:

SpyderTattoo

I'd like to know what areas those are that you are speaking of, that make it a requirement for you to have a CPL. Obviously a vehicle, but what othere areas do you mean?

Nevermind that this thread is over two years dead now...

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
I'd like to know what areas those are that you are speaking of, that make it a requirement for you to have a CPL. Obviously a vehicle, but what othere areas do you mean?

Nevermind that this thread is over two years dead now...

Another place that come to mind is a Stadium where the city had enacted an ordinance prohibiting firearm and in line with State Law an exception with a CPL.

RCW 9.41.300(2) Cities, towns, counties, and other municipalities may enact laws and ordinances:

(b) Restricting the possession of firearms in any stadium or convention center, operated by a city, town, county, or other municipality, except that such restrictions shall not apply to:
(i) Any pistol in the possession of a person licensed under RCW 9.41.070 or exempt from the licensing requirement by RCW 9.41.060; or
(ii) Any showing, demonstration, or lecture involving the exhibition of firearms.

Another one when visiting a Jail or Prison one can proceed to secure their firearm as long as they have a CPL.

RCW 9.94.043
Deadly weapons — Possession on premises by person not a prisoner — Penalty.

A person, other than a person serving a sentence in a penal institution of this state, is guilty of possession of contraband on the premises of a state correctional institution in the first degree if, without authorization to do so, the person knowingly possesses or has under his or her control a deadly weapon on or in the buildings or adjacent grounds subject to the care, control, or supervision of a state correctional institution. Deadly weapon is used as defined in RCW 9A.04.110: PROVIDED, That such correctional buildings, grounds, or property are properly posted pursuant to RCW 9.94.047, and such person has knowingly entered thereon: PROVIDED FURTHER, That the provisions of this section do not apply to a person licensed pursuant to RCW 9.41.070 who, upon entering the correctional institution premises, proceeds directly along an access road to the administration building and promptly checks his or her firearm(s) with the appropriate authorities. The person may reclaim his or her firearm(s) upon leaving, but he or she must immediately and directly depart from the premises.

Possession of contraband on the premises of a state correctional institution in the first degree is a class B felony.

massivedesign

King County is VERY serious about it's signage....

epic-fail-bus-rules-fail.jpg

sudden valley gunner

While law enforcement cannot just demand your CPL for open carrying, once they see you are carrying a firearm and enter an area where a CPL is required they have PC to demand your CPL as it would be reasonable to believe that the firearm is loaded.

Why is there such a paranoia on the issue of providing a CPL where one is required to have one, or even identification for that matter, this and not to be construed as joe citizen walking down the street, two different circumstances.

(8) Any person engaging in a lawful outdoor recreational activity such as hunting, fishing, camping, hiking, or horseback riding, only if, considering all of the attendant circumstances, including but not limited to whether the person has a valid hunting or fishing license, it is reasonable to conclude that the person is participating in lawful outdoor activities or is traveling to or from a legitimate outdoor recreation area;

PC stands for probable cause, the probable cause you are engaged in something unlawful, just seeing you OC onto a bus does not generate PC. Neither does it generate RS.

Show me your papers!

jolly__roger

Maybe I overlooked it but was there ever a response to the original inquiry made to Sound Transit?

BigDave

Opt-Out Members

PC stands for probable cause, the probable cause you are engaged in something unlawful, just seeing you OC onto a bus does not generate PC. Neither does it generate RS.

Show me your papers!

SVG yes I am well aware what PC, RAS acronyms are representing and we are back to different views or opinions about RCW 9.41.050 "shall display the same upon demand to any police officer or to any other person when and if required by law to do so".

While I would support different wording not giving officers this added requirement of citizens but it is still there none the less until it is changed, who wants to challenge that law? Any takers that have the funds and time to pursue?

DeltaOps

Show me your papers!

Ok lets stand at a bus or train station (stop) while OC'ing. We both get on at the same time and we both get stopped by a LEO. They ask to see our CPL. You stand your ground while you miss the train and or bus while I show it and make it to my destination in time.

If nobody gets my ppoint I am trying to make, let me know ,I will draw it in crayon fo you. :p

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Ok lets stand at a bus or train station (stop) while OC'ing. We both get on at the same time and we both get stopped by a LEO. They ask to see our CPL. You stand your ground while you miss the train and or bus while I show it and make it to my destination in time.

If nobody gets my ppoint I am trying to make, let me know ,I will draw it in crayon fo you. :p

Draw it in crayon then....

I'd rather miss the bus and stand up for my unalienable rights then take your path.