• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Firearms prohibited sign on Seattle Link Light Rail?

xiphoris

imported post

Greetings, and a happy new year!

(I apologize if this has been posted about before)

I recently used the Seattle Link Light Rail to travel to the SeaTac airport from my home near Seattle. While I was riding I noticed a sign with a posted list of rules. I wish I had taken a photo to present here; the list bullet said roughly "Firearms and weapons prohibited".

I can't find an explicit statement of these rules online. A "Safety and Security" page is available at: http://www.soundtransit.org/Riding-Sound-Transit/Safety-and-Security.xml

How can this provision against firearms be lawful under RCW 9.41.290?

I am going to attempt to contact carol.doering@soundtransit.org who is listed on the contacts page and report back what I learn.

xiphoris

imported post

Email sent:

Hello,

As I was riding on the Seattle Link Light Rail from Seattle to SeaTac
airport, I noticed a posted sign with rules. One of the rules
approximately stated "Firearms and weapons prohibited".

A public entity in the state of Washington is not free to regulate
firearms. The Revised Code of Washington section 9.41.290, State
Preemption, states:

"The state of Washington hereby fully occupies and preempts the entire
field of firearms regulation within the boundaries of the state,
including the registration, licensing, possession, purchase, sale,
acquisition, transfer, discharge, and transportation of firearms, or
any other element relating to firearms or parts thereof, including
ammunition and reloader components. Cities, towns, and counties or
other municipalities may enact only those laws and ordinances relating
to firearms that are specifically authorized by state law, as in RCW
9.41.300, and are consistent with this chapter. Such local ordinances
shall have the same penalty as provided for by state law. Local laws
and ordinances that are inconsistent with, more restrictive than, or
exceed the requirements of state law shall not be enacted and are
preempted and repealed, regardless of the nature of the code, charter,
or home rule status of such city, town, county, or municipality."
http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=9.41.290

The Revised Code of Washington does not regulate firearms in this
circumstance, beyond requiring a permit (for carry on vehicles).

As a public agency created by the state legislature, Sound Transit
does not have the authority to create legal restrictions beyond those
provided in the RCW. Accordingly, the Sound Transit Link Light Rail
prohibition on firearms appears to be in conflict with the state
preemption clause.

Can you elaborate on this Link Light Rail rule? How is this
restriction in compliance with RCW 9.41.290?

I appreciate your attention to this matter.

grishnav

imported post

swatspyder wrote:
Please report suspicious behavior, such as persons taking photos of transit operations and equipment or behaving nervously

Sound's like the "terrorist" interrogations of photographers in the UK is making it's way over to the USA...
What do you mean making?

I have a friend who is a railfan, and his biggest threat is being arrested for photographing passing trains. Like, what's the harm?

swatspyder

imported post

grishnav wrote:
swatspyder wrote:
Please report suspicious behavior, such as persons taking photos of transit operations and equipment or behaving nervously

Sound's like the "terrorist" interrogations of photographers in the UK is making it's way over to the USA...
What do you mean making?

I have a friend who is a railfan, and his biggest threat is being arrested for photographing passing trains. Like, what's the harm?
I know NYC has a very big problem with accosting photographers. I guess I'm just surprised and not so surprised...

lol and guess what, here is a photographer that was told he was loitering while he snapped a photograph at King County Sound Transit.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/viriyincy/4202048283/in/pool-photography_is_not_a_crime

http://www.flickr.com/groups/photography_is_not_a_crime/
&
http://carlosmiller.com/

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

xiphoris wrote:

I recently used the Seattle Link Light Rail to travel to the SeaTac airport from my home near Seattle. While I was riding I noticed a sign with a posted list of rules. I wish I had taken a photo to present here; the list bullet said roughly "Firearms and weapons prohibited".
Please get a photo of you open carrying with the sign in the background and post here so we can see it.

OrangeIsTrouble

imported post

grishnav, they are on the train, inside, above the door near the front/end of the car, and on the platform along with the other information signs. Notice, that they are worded differently. One sign says "illegal weapons and firearms" and the other sign doesn't bother having "illegal" on it.

amzbrady

imported post

Poosharker wrote:
grishnav, they are on the train, inside, above the door near the front/end of the car, and on the platform along with the other information signs. Notice, that they are worded differently. One sign says "illegal weapons and firearms" and the other sign doesn't bother having "illegal" on it.
So you wont know that you breaking the sound transit law until your already on the train.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Mike wrote:
xiphoris wrote:

Please get a photo of you open carrying with the sign in the background and post here so we can see it.
I haven't been that far south other wise I would do just that and at the park too.

amzbrady

imported post

Poosharker wrote:
Seems to be that as long as they say "Illegal Weapons and firearms Prohibeted" that is ok. OC or CC is legal, so we're all good.None of us carry Illegally.

OrangeIsTrouble

imported post

Well now that they don't accept metro passes on light rail no mores, I ain't riding it. They freakin blew off the 126 route which I took from tukwila to south seattle and force you to take the train instead.......bastards.

SpyderTattoo

imported post

Poosharker wrote:
So you wont know that you breaking the sound transit law until your already on the train.
It's not a law,it's a rule they put up there for the uneducated masses. They can't really enforce it.

amzbrady

imported post

SpyderTattoo wrote:
Poosharker wrote:
It's not a law,it's a rule they put up there for the uneducated masses. They can't really enforce it.
I know its just policy, that why I said "sound transit law", companies write policies like they are their own little laws, with their own consequences if you break them.

OrangeIsTrouble

imported post

I apologize, the word is actually "unlawful", I said "illegal" in an earlier post, but same thing!

Fresh pictures from today!

This is from the PLATFORM