• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Help us choose between Tennessee or Kentucky

virginiatuck

imported post

gravedigger wrote:
So we found a nice town we liked, Franklin, KY. We found a nice house, etc., and we are thinking of moving there BUT the one thing that makes Tennessee more attractive is the fact that your state has no personal income tax. My mom is not "rich," but she is comfortable. My step-dad was a wise man who invested wisely and left her comfortable. If she lives in a state with no personal income tax, it will make quite a difference in the bottom line.
There are two things that I, a Virginian with an IP address, can tell you about Tennessee.

1) You didn't specify the actual source of your mother's income, though it sounds like it may be from dividends. Tennessee does tax dividends (income) from stocks, bonds, mutual funds, etc... So check with a tax consultant on whether she'd actually be tax-free in Tennessee. According to the Tennessee Individual Income Tax Form, the rate is 6%.

2) In spite of State Preemption, any laws that were in effect prior to 1986, and that haven't been repealed, are still in effect. I can't tell you what those may be, if any, but be aware that it's possible for grandfathered firearm restrictions to still be on the books.

39-17-1314. Local regulation of firearms and ammunition preempted by state regulation — Actions against firearms or ammunition manufacturers, trade associations or dealers. —

(a) Except as provided in § 39-17-1311(d), which allows counties and municipalities to prohibit the possession of handguns while within or on a public park, natural area, historic park, nature trail, campground, forest, greenway, waterway or other similar public place that is owned or operated by a county, a municipality or instrumentality thereof, no city, county, or metropolitan government shall occupy any part of the field of regulation of the transfer, ownership, possession or transportation of firearms, ammunition or components of firearms or combinations thereof; provided, that this section shall be prospective only and shall not affect the validity of any ordinance or resolution lawfully enacted before April 8, 1986.

(b) The general assembly declares that the lawful design, marketing, manufacture and sale of firearms and ammunition to the public are not unreasonably dangerous activities and do not constitute a nuisance per se.

(c) (1) The authority to bring suit and right to recover against any firearms or ammunition manufacturer, trade association or dealer by or on behalf of any state entity, county, municipality or metropolitan government for damages, abatement or injunctive relief resulting from or relating to the lawful design, manufacture, marketing or sale of firearms or ammunition to the public shall be reserved exclusively to the state.

(2) Nothing in this subsection (c) shall be construed to prohibit a county, municipality, or metropolitan government from bringing an action against a firearms or ammunition manufacturer or dealer for breach of contract or warranty as to firearms or ammunition purchased by such county, municipality, or metropolitan government.

(3) Nothing in this subsection (c) shall preclude an individual from bringing a cause of action for breach of a written contract, breach of an express warranty, or for injuries resulting from defects in the materials or workmanship in the manufacture of the firearm.

(d) The provisions of subsections (b) and (c) shall not apply in any litigation brought by an individual against a firearms or ammunition manufacturer, trade association or dealer.

SovereignAxe

I know I'm bumping a really old thread, but I'm interested to see which, if either, you chose/are choosing.

To help you along, I've been told that Johnson City is one of the cheapest places to live in the US.

razorback2003

If you are looking at this strictly from a gun point of view, you are better off in Kentucky. You don't need a license to carry a handgun in Kentucky in public in the open or in your vehicle. I believe you can also carry a loaded long gun openly up there without any sort of license. If you get a license, you can conceal other weapons besides your handgun. I have read that people can even carry in the Kentucky statehouse with no problems on their license. There doesn't seem to be such thing as a legal 'sign' that you can get fined for like in Tennessee (although no one has been fined as far as we know).

Money wise we do not have a state income tax in Tennessee. Kentucky has a state income tax. You will pay anywhere from 50-100 bucks to license any vehicle here. I have no idea what they do in Kentucky. Property taxes aren't bad depending on where you live. Check the Tennessee Comptroller's office. I have no idea about Kentucky's property taxes. Our sales tax is a little high, in the Memphis area it is 9.25 but I'll take that over not having an income tax. Property itself is cheap compared to other parts of the country anywhere here or i'm sure Kentucky. You will have to get a handgun carry permit to legally carry a handgun off your property loaded. You cannot carry a chamber loaded long gun in your vehicle, even with a handgun carry permit. Guns wise that is a joke to me compared to KY. You can't carry knucks, blackjacks, other stuff with a handgun carry permit here. If you are interested in TN, go to Middle or East TN, that is the pretty part of TN and there are a lot of clean places up there.