• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Where can I go to shoot outdoors?

redreed

imported post

I kinda new out here. Anyone know a good place close to Lehi where I can take my wife shooting? I mean outdoors. Not a range.

I understand some people go out by Utah lake. Does anybody know the specific spot? (I have a GPS)

mqondo

imported post

If you go out to the 4 corners, where the Smith's and Walmart are, that is a few miles west of Lehi, turn South on Redwood, and go somewhere between 11 and 12 miles and when the mountain gets close fairly close to the lake, you'll see a pretty big place on your right where people go shoot all the time. I don't have the exact GPS coordinates, but that should get you there.

Legato

imported post

I had the same question and called the Tooele Sheriff a few weeks ago. If you can make the drive out to Tooele County, there's over 50,000 square miles of wilderness you can go shooting in. Just find a safe backdrop and be at least 500ft away from a building.

b1ack5mith

imported post

You can pretty much shoot anywhere thats 500' away from a building... and outside of city limits. Utah lake, West mountain, any canyon as far as I know. Aslong as you don't shoot over a road, and you know what is beyond what you're shooting at, you are pretty much set!

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

b1ack5mith wrote:
You can pretty much shoot anywhere thats 500' away from a building... and outside of city limits.
It's 600 feet, not 500. And not all cities or towns ban discharge. Santaquin doesn't. :D

76-10-508. Discharge of firearm from a vehicle, near a highway, or in direction of any person, building, or vehicle -- Penalties.
(1) (a) A person may not discharge any kind of dangerous weapon or firearm:
(i) from an automobile or other vehicle;
(ii) from, upon, or across any highway;
(iii) at any road signs placed upon any highways of the state;
(iv) at any communications equipment or property of public utilities including facilities, lines, poles, or devices of transmission or distribution;
(v) at railroad equipment or facilities including any sign or signal;
(vi) within Utah State Park buildings, designated camp or picnic sites, overlooks, golf courses, boat ramps, and developed beaches; or
(vii) without written permission to discharge the dangerous weapon from the owner or person in charge of the property within 600 feet of:
(A) a house, dwelling, or any other building; or
(B) any structure in which a domestic animal is kept or fed, including a barn, poultry yard, corral, feeding pen, or stockyard.
(b) It is a defense to any charge for violating this section that the person being accused had actual permission of the owner or person in charge of the property at the time in question.
(2) A violation of any provision of Subsection (1) is a class B misdemeanor.
(3) In addition to any other penalties, the court shall:
(a) notify the Driver License Division of the conviction for purposes of any revocation, denial, suspension, or disqualification of a driver license under Subsection 53-3-220(1)(a)(xi); and
(b) specify in court at the time of sentencing the length of the revocation under Subsection 53-3-225(1)(c).
(4) This section does not apply to a person who:
(a) discharges any kind of firearm when that person is in lawful defense of self or others;
(b) is performing official duties as provided in Sections 23-20-1.5 and 76-10-523 and as otherwise provided by law; or
(c) discharges a dangerous weapon or firearm from an automobile or other vehicle, if:
(i) the discharge occurs at a firing range or training ground;
(ii) at no time after the discharge does the projectile that is discharged cross over or stop at a location other than within the boundaries of the firing range or training ground described in Subsection (4)(c)(i);
(iii) the discharge is made as practice or training for a lawful purpose;
(iv) the discharge and the location, time, and manner of the discharge are approved by the owner or operator of the firing range or training ground prior to the discharge; and
(v) the discharge is not made in violation of Subsection (1).

b1ack5mith

imported post

so in santaquin u CAN shoot? u still have to be 600' away from a building right? :eek:

my bad i just read "without permission... etc" so you just have to get permission from all neighbors within 600' of your house! YAYUH!

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

Correct. Santaquin was no laws governing firearms. Check out Payson's law. http://www.payson.org/citycode.main.html

7.01.050 Shooting.

It shall be unlawful for any person to discharge any firearm or gun of any kind or nature within the City limits, whether on public or private property. It shall also be unlawful to discharge or shoot a bow and arrow, blowgun, wrist rocket, slingshot, or any other type of instrument designed to propel or throw missiles capable of doing bodily harm on public or private property (including development archery ranges) in such a manner as to endanger persons or property or to cause the projectile or missile to cross into property owned by another when the person shooting the projectile or missile does not have permission to use such property for the purpose of discharging the weapon or devise. The provision prohibiting the discharge of firearms shall not apply to peace officers in the performance of their official duties, to the authorized use of established firing ranges or to any other lawful act.