• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Purchasing firearm question...

Crawlin

imported post

First post - AWESOME site! Lots of info for us WI guys in this forum.

I do have a question though as I believe I finally screwed myself. I have recently moved(couple months so not too recent)and did not do the change of address on the driver's license. So I still have the old address on the license.

Well I purchased a cool little plinking toy and was getting ready to do the paperwork when I realized this. I spoke up as I was about to fill it out. I don't want to lie on the thing obviously. I didn't want to put my old address on the papers. Obviously this could cause an issue when they call it in. My question is, since I was hoping to do some shooting on sunday, and obviously the DMV is closed today and tomorrow, I did do the change of address online and I have the confirmation that it is changed in the DOT/DMV government system.

Will this pass the test even if my license shows the old address still? As long as the FFL paperwork and what the government has in their electronic system, when the shop opens up tomorrow and I go in and finish the paperwork does anyone know if it will be ok?

It's just a .22 plinking toy. So if it's not gonna pass and I have to go to the DMV on monday, I really don't care, and I can bring the handgun to go shooting sunday then anyways.

Thanks for any info/advice.

Interceptor_Knight

imported post

Crawlin wrote:
Will this pass the test even if my license shows the old address still?

No, it will not.

Bring your Drivers' License along with any other government issued ID or document with your current address (property tax bill, vehicle registration, hunting/fishing license etc) and you should be good to go.... Just the documentation from you submitting a change of address is not sufficient..

http://www.atf.gov/regulations-rulings/rulings/atf-rulings/atf-ruling-2001-5.html

[font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]ATF has received questions from licensees regarding purchasers who present a State-issued driver's license or other identification document that shows either an out-of-date residence address or a mailing address (such as [/font][font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]a post office box) in lieu of a residence address. ATF has advised that these identification documents, standing alone, would not satisfy the requirements of the regulations implementing the Brady Act.[/font]

[font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]It is ATF's position that a combination of documents may be used to satisfy the Brady Act's requirement for an identification document. The prospective transferee must present at least one valid document that meets the statutory definition of an identification document; i.e., it must bear the transferee's name and photograph, it must have been issued by a governmental entity, and it must be of a type intended or commonly accepted for identification purposes. ATF recognizes, however, that some valid government-issued identification documents do not include the bearer's current residence address. Such an identification document may be supplemented with another valid government-issued document that contains the necessary information. [/font]

[font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]Thus, for example, a licensee may accept a valid driver's license that accurately reflects the purchaser's name, date of birth, and photograph, along with a vehicle registration issued by the State indicating the transferee's current address. Licensees should note that if the law of the State that issued the driver's license provides that the driver's license is invalid due to any reason (i.e., the license is expired or is no longer valid due to an unreported change of address), then the driver's license may not be used for identification purposes under the Brady Act. If a licensee has reasonable cause to question the validity of an identification document, he or she should not proceed with the transfer until those questions can be resolved. [/font]

[align=left][font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]The licensee must record on the Form 4473 the type of identification document(s) presented by the transferee, including any document number. Examples of documents that may be accepted to supplement information on a driver's license or other identification document include a vehicle registration, a recreation identification card, a fishing or hunting license, a voter identification card, or a tax bill. However, the document in question must be valid and must have been issued by a government agency.
[/font][/align]

Crawlin

imported post

Yep, found that out today when I called to confirm exactly what I needed. So looks like wait till Monday to get that taken care of and just bring the Glock tomorrow. Oh well.

PS - thanks a ton for that info. Since I rent I don't have property tax form. Passport still lists old address, Registration is this month so that's out.

Crawlin

imported post

Second PS -

Just got off the phone with Badger Guns in Milwaukee and they said they will NOT accept my D.L. with old address and a fishing license with the CURRENT address because the fishing license does not have a picture on it.

Interceptor_Knight

imported post

Crawlin wrote:
Second PS -

Just got off the phone with Badger Guns in Milwaukee and they said they will NOT accept my D.L. with old address and a fishing license with the CURRENT address because the fishing license does not have a picture on it.

Some dealers have a habit of making up their own rules....... it is too bad that going by ATF rules is not strict enough for them.... :?

Right or wrong, most guys go by the policy when they purchase a firearm that the address on their license IS the correct address. They see no reason to state otherwise. All the ATF cares is that you are a WI resident if you are purchasing ahandgun in WI. Your address is not called in to the DOJ. The WI form and the 4473 is only for the dealer's record and so that there is something to audit if the AFT comes along.

Crawlin

imported post

Thanks for the info. I just never thought about it and if it really mattered. WIth as much focus that's on them for other people's wrong choices, I just wanted to make sure it wasn't something that would get them into trouble, so I spoke up.

Lesson learned, cause I'd be shooting the new toy right now, haha

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Crawlin:

WELCOME! Glad to see another OC supporter and participant.

Read up, Load up, Holster up, and Carry On!

MustangMike

imported post

Crawlin, I recognize your avatar from BrewCityMuscle.com My sn is letsrunem on there. Nice to see how many carrying locals there are!

Crawlin

imported post

What's up man! Figured I'd use the same avatar since I know a couple of guys on BCM do open carry(lilevo).

I'm reading up as much as I can to be as legal as possible. The biggest thing is to get to the range. I'm not confident in myself enough to be ready for a self defense situation. A little rusty from such a long "off time". Started to come around on Sunday. Put about 200rds down range at Badger.

MustangMike

imported post

Same here, although I'm pretty sure I know the laws now for OC, getting out and doing it the first time is nerve racking. Which sucks because it's perfectly legal and I should have nothing to be worried about.

Started going to the range myself, Fletcher's arms is about 10 mins from me here in Waukesha. Need to practice!

protias

imported post

MustangMike wrote:
Same here, although I'm pretty sure I know the laws now for OC, getting out and doing it the first time is nerve racking. Which sucks because it's perfectly legal and I should have nothing to be worried about.

Started going to the range myself, Fletcher's arms is about 10 mins from me here in Waukesha. Need to practice!
If you need help, Bob Llanas teaches individual lessons there. He is a good teacher and very patient. If you are shooting a certain way, he'll know how to correct it.

Crawlin

imported post

I know I want to take some lessons from Bob. Have heard nothing but good things about him.

Also want to take the handgun defense class that allows you to apply for your CCW permit in all the other states that allow it. Just hoping that if they finally wake up and realize that CCW is definitely alot less of a public nuisance than open carry, I won't have to take the class and can just use a current permit to get the WI one.

Crawlin

imported post

what about it?

if people are gonna shit a brick for our constitutional right to carry openly, you'd figure the 'crats would be trying to figure a way to lesson that nuisance w/ a CCW permit.

Not quite smart enough to think that way here in WI I guess

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

Crawlin wrote:
less of a public nuisance than open carry,

WTF?! A nuisance??? Really?

Would you please explain how you equate open-carry as a public nuisance?

People exercising their god-given right to self defense is nuisance in your mind?

Do you see people being allowed to vote or go to the church of their choosing as a nuisance also?

"Lucy, you got some splaining to do"

I am just going to stop right now and give you a chance to explain yourself before I jump down your throat feet first.

opusd2

imported post

Crawlin wrote:
what about it?

if people are gonna @#$% a brick for our constitutional right to carry openly, you'd figure the 'crats would be trying to figure a way to lesson that nuisance w/ a CCW permit.

Not quite smart enough to think that way here in WI I guess

Not quite smart enough here in WI? Are you directly stating that by exercising our right to carry openly instead of just accepting conventional ignorance that it is illegal to do so, that we who practice aren't smart? Would it be indicative of higher intelligence to allow our rights to be taken away from us because we bowed to the illogical fears of the section of society unable to take responsibility for their own lives?

I lived for quite a while in a state where CC was the norm. While it made for fewer people pointing and staring with WIDE open eyes at the glint of steel hanging off the side of an individual not employed to a badged career, it required people to apply for permits to carry. People were required to apply for the privilege to defend themselves from everything from the criminal element to the obvious presence of poisonous and predatory animals. Sure it made for a fun game of trying to guess who was carrying and who wasn't, but it was also an intrusion into the rights of a person by reducing a right to a privilege.

Now, who is the nuisance? The person going about their rightful business or the prissy turd who is frightened by the same component that isn't frightful when carried by a rent a cop wearing an ill fitting uniform (with possibly less experience handling a sidearm) walking the fairgrounds some August? I will give you a hint, it's the person going about their business.

What, did you just move here?