• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Taurus PT738

tcmech

imported post

I don't really know much about the 738, but I just bought my wife a taurus pt709 which I am still runnign through the break in process. It has features that could have easily made it my preferred carry gun if I had not already filled that slot with a glock 36.

I have read a review on the 738 that was very positive. I have also never seen a bad review on a keltec. I have read a few complaints about the ruger, but they seem to be pretty generic to the type of gun it is, too small and hard to get a grip on, sights are too small, etc. I am sure this is true of the 738 and keltec also, I have never personally owned or used one of them. I have had good luck with taurus products that I have purchased. The only gun that I ever needed to send back to make it work right was a ruger mark II. They did make it work right, (by replacing it) after the second trip to the factory, but it does work great now.

I personally would buy either the ruger or the taurus without thinking twice about it.

skyraider527

imported post

One feature the Taurus has over the Ruger or the Kel-Tek is that the slide remains open after the final shot, just like a real semi-auto should.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I have also been looking into the 738. I already own a Kel-Tec PF9 but I am looking into the 738 because I don't have a .380. I will probably go with the 738 just because I own 2 other Taurus firearms and have had zero issues with any of them even after several hundred rounds of ammunition.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
imported post

The magazine American Rifleman just recently compared the top nine .380 pistols in the market right now, I think I was the cover story two months ago.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Finally picked one up 3 days ago. Got it on Gunbroker for $270. Took it to the range and it functioned well and seems very solid. At this point I would recommend it.