• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Chanute - Open Carry

marine0300

imported post

Chanute: http://library6.municode.com/default-now/home.htm?infobase=16261&doc_action=whatsnew

9.72.010 Carrying concealed weapon--Penalty.

Any person who is not an officer of the law, or a deputy to such officer, who is found within the limits of the city carrying on his person in a concealed manner any pistol, Bowie knife, switchblade knife, dirk, slung shot, knucks or any other deadly weapons shall, upon conviction thereof, be fined in any sum not exceeding $100.00 or be imprisoned not to exceed 3 months or be both so fined and imprisoned.

(Prior code §17-307).

9.72.020 Threatening--Penalty.

It is unlawful for any person to make any demonstration in a ho stile manner with any dangerous or deadly weapon against the person or property of another; provided, that the provisions of this section shall not apply to officers of the law and their deputies in the performance of their duties. Any person violating the provisions of this section shall, upon conviction thereof, be fined in any sum not exceeding $100.00 or be imprisoned not to exceed 3 months or be both so fined and imprisoned.

{Prior code §17-308) .

9.72.030 Knucks--Sale, manufacture unlawful--Penalty.

It is unlawful for any person to manufacture, sell, offer for sale, or to carry any weapon generally called and known as knucks. Any person violating the provisions of this section shall, upon conviction thereof, be fined in any sum not exceeding $100.00 or be imprisoned not to exceed 3 months or be both so fined and imprisoned.

(Prior code §17-309).

9.72.040 Beanshooters, pinpoint arrows--Sale, use unlawful--Penalty.

It is unlawful for any person to sell or use, within the city, any type of beanflip, beanshooter, peashooter, blowgun or pinpoint arrow. Any person, firm or corporation violating any of the provisions of this section for which another penalty is not specifically provided shall, upon conviction thereof, be fined in any sum not exceeding $100.00.

(Prior code §17-604).

9.72.050 Air gun, slingshot use unlawful--Penalty.

It is unlawful for any person to use or discharge, or to permit his child to use or discharge, any air gun, air rifle, slingshot, or pellet gun. Any person violating the provisions of this section shall, upon conviction thereof, be fined in any sum not exceeding $25.00.

(Prior code §17-605).

9.72.060 Unlawful discharge of firearm--Penalty.

It is unlawful for any person to shoot or discharge any gun, pistol or other firearm or any gun or weapon which, is designed to expel a projectile by the action of compressed air, gas, spring or elastic which is capable of causing injury or damage to person or property. Any person violating the provisions of this section shall, upon conviction thereof, be fined in any sum not exceeding $100.00 or be imprisoned not to exceed 3 months or be both so fined and imprisoned; provided, that the provisions of this section shall not apply to the discharge of firearms at any licensed shooting gallery or by a gunsmith in his trade, or to duly constituted police or military officers in the performance of their official duties.

(Prior code §17-305).

12.24.040 Firearms and fireworks.

It is unlawful for any person to discharge firearms, air guns, sling shots, firecrackers, bombs, torpedoes, rockets or any other type of firework or pyrotechnic except for public display as authorized by city commission.

(Ord. 2264 §3(part), 1985).

LeviR

So, am I to conclude from this that Chanute is not one of the cities that bans open carry?

SixGunCowboy

So, am I to conclude from this that Chanute is not one of the cities that bans open carry?

If city ordinances do not say that it is illegal to carry a firearm on your person, then presumably it IS allowed to open carry. (What is not stated as illegal by Open carry is then referred to under State Law) Current State Law says that "open carry" is legal.

VinnAY

I spent my teen years til '90 when I enlisted, in Chanute. I was home on leave many many times until about 2002 and I've never ever seen anyone open carry in Chanute. For whatever that observation is worth, its just that, an observation. I've no idea if it's legal or not.