• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Should we wait for the Supreme Court ruling?

Packer fan

imported post

I know there are a few who would like to open carry just like me; yes, I have singed the petition and even contacted Rep. Karen Hopper about open carry and church carrying, but what more can and shouldI do; or should I wait for the Supreme Court's ruling?

I would like to OC, it gets hot in the summer.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Packer fan wrote:
I know there are a few who would like to open carry just like me; yes, I have singed the petition and even contacted Rep. Karen Hopper about open carry and church carrying, but what more can and shouldI do; or should I wait for the Supreme Court's ruling?

I would like to OC, it gets hot in the summer.

If you are referring to the McDonald vs Chicago case, that has nothing to do with OC. That case is about 2A applying to states, in that the states not being able to infringe upon the citizens 2A rights. They're contesting Chicago's strict handgun ban.

I think You'll have to work on OC through your states legislators. That's not to say that a SC ruling in favor of 2A incorporation wouldn't help in some way to influence Ark lawmakers to lean in favor of OC.

Just my opinion, anyway. May not be worth .02 cents in the legal market.

Packer fan

imported post

The above post was poorly worded. I am at work and just got interrupted and really didn't study what I wrote.

Yes, I am referring to McDonald Vs Chicago case in a way. The question is for Arkansas. We tend to get upset about the Fed's restricting2A but over look the State level. Arkansas has quite a few restrictions of where and when a person can and can not carry. I can't carry at any sporting event or at a parade to give some examples.

[align=right]January 1, 2010[/align]

[align=center]Representative Karen Hopper [/align]

[align=center]P. O. Box 864
Mountain Home , AR 72654 [/align]

[align=left] Ms. Hopper,[/align]

[align=left][/align]

[align=left] I know that you are busy and receive quite a number of e-mails and my even just delete this one without opening it, but I have a few concerns that I would like answers too:[/align]

[align=left][/align]

• [align=left]Why is Arkansas one of only seven states that I can not carry my firearm in the open?[/align]

• [align=left]Why are we in Arkansas not able to protect ourselves in so many venues; ie, church, parades, etc.[/align]

• [align=left]What can I do to help you to introduce some bills such as Arkansas State Rep. Steve Harrelson, D-Texarkana, did.[/align]

• [align=left]Why do we to pay a tax exercise our 2nd Amendment rights?[/align]
[align=left]I know you are an NRA member and stand for the 2 Amendments but here in Arkansas we are not able to exercise those rights without going through the Government and paying a tax. You have pledged to lower or keep our taxes low, why not start with getting rid of the Concealed Carry Tax?[/align]

[align=left]Above isthe copy of the e-mail sent to my State Rep.[/align]

[align=left]Is there more I can do?[/align]

[align=left]http://www.asp.state.ar.us/divisions/rs/rs_chl_law.html[/align]

[align=left]A link of where we can not carry.[/align]

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Just keep after the lawmakers in your state Packer fan. Encourage more of your friends neighbors and fellow gun owners to contact their Reps. Remind them of what happens to poli's at election time, that don't listen to their constituents.

lockman

State Researcher
imported post

If SCOTUS rules the 2A applicable to the states and 2A if afforded the strict or intermediate scrutiny standard then it may certainly have repercussions on OC. If OC is banned and they have unreasonable restrictions preventing you from CC'ing on private property (churches), or fees and licensing to exercise your rights then your state will be ripe for challenges.

Knowing SCOTUS though the ruling will most likely stick to the incorporation only and leave the extent of how to apply it to thew states or future litigation. I hope they will at least answer the level of scrutiny that will apply. At best they will set a floor at which no state may undercut but that is quite an optimistic view.

Packer fan

imported post

Thank you for your message regarding "gun laws."

Let me try and address each of the concerns you have outlined.

With regard to your questions regarding carrying firearms in the open, including venues such as churches and parades, the record will reflect that I was a co-sponsor of Rep. Beverly Pyle's proposed legislation, HB 1237, that would have removed churches and other places of worship from the list of prohibited places for a person licensed to carry a concealed handgun. While the bill narrowly passed the House on a vote of 57-42, with 1 non voting member, it died in the Senate when the session closed earlier this year.

With regard to "bills such as Arkansas State Rep. Steve Harrelson, D-Texarkana" introduced, I will need further information in order to respond.

Finally, in response to "why do we pay a tax exercise (sic) our 2nd Amendment rights" and "getting rid of the Concealed Carry Tax," the Bureau of Legislative Research advises, "The State of Arkansas does not levy a tax on the right to carry a concealed weapon. However, there is a $144.25 license fee. The license is good for 5 years. The fee is broken down as follows:

$100 is the one time only nonrefundable application fee. It is levied in Arkansas statute 5-73-311.

$44.25 covers the cost of the applicant's fingerprinting which includes a $19.22 FBI fee. The additional $25.03 covers the cost of the state's automated fingerprint system and other equipment used while performing a criminal background check.

After 5 years, the renewal fee is $60.00 and covers the ACIC and fingerprinting background check performed prior to license renewal.

The application and renewal process is completed by the Arkansas State Police."

I hope this information will be helpful in addressing your concerns. Again, I appreciate hearing from you.

Warmest regards,

Karen Hopper
State Representative

This was the response to the letter. I still call it a tax when you have to pay for a license to exercises a right.

She still has my vote.

Packer fan

imported post

KBCraig wrote:
What kind of bill has Harrelson introduced?

House Bill 2184, introduced by Rep. Mark Martin, I don't know where Harrelson came in? This is what happens when you are typing and get interrupted.:banghead:

OCDO. I know it failed but man do I need to check my work. :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Now I have to correct my letter back to her.

Packer fan