• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question, 1911 Owners!

G20-IWB24/7

imported post

Most 1911 reliability failures that I've seen can be attributed to crappy mags. Whatever brand 1911 I bought, I throw away the factory mags and buy Wilson Combat 47D series magazines. I have owned 5 different Kimbers, and never had a problem, but then again, I've never fed a round into any of those Kimbers with anything but Wilson mags, sooo....... take from that what you may.

FunkTrooper

imported post

Kimbers come with really crappy mags I had a gun store that sold me a kimber mag and it would only feed FMJs so that might attribute to Kimbers "bad" reputation.

Vandal

imported post

I still have my original Kimber mag, it sits alone in the case in my closet. I use nothing but Wilson Combat 47Ds in my gun.

My Kimber replaced a POS Rock Island that I bought on reputation. Never again.

neddis

imported post

No plugs for Springfield 1911? I have a Springfield GI Commander and it's great. No feed issues except with crappy mags. They are decently priced and mine has proven to be extremely reliable. It doesn't have all the fancy bells and whistles that a kimber does though.

FamilyMan

imported post

It might be worthwhile to look at Dan Wesson, they make some fine 1911s.

Dreamer

imported post

erich_kopp wrote:
I have a Para ssp match and am looking for a Kimber full frame (5 inch) are they really worth the extra $400 that I payed for my Para, And is it a better carry weapon My Para has a 1 3/4trigger pull So now I'm carrying a Springfield xd, it's safer to carry for now.
Have you considered one of the newer Para LDA's? They give you the 1911 look, feel, and controls, with a double-action trigger group, so you might be a LOT more comfortable carrying it. They are VERY nice, and have crisp triggers straight from the factory. And they tend to be a LOT less than a Kimber, for what is, IMO, a MUCH better firearm.

I own a Para S-14.45 Limited, and it I like it. It's a standard 1911 trigger group like your Para. But I had mine "fluffed and buffed" by Novaks, and they did a trigger job, replaced the internals with Wilson parts, and put in an Ed Brown Memory Grove grip safety to my specs. Their work REALLY improved the feel and function of this already fine pistol, and they are FAST and reasonably priced. Novaks is one of the best 1911 custom shops in the country, IMO. It feeds, fires,and ejects anything I've put through it without a flaw, and is "tack-driving" accurate...

Consider staying in the "Para Camp". Their LDA line gives you the best of both worlds--1911 functionality and reliability AND a the added safety of a double-action trigger system...

DEROS72

imported post

Idon't know about para anymore .I had a Para companion C7.45LDA .Took it to the range one day and on the second mag it fired the recoil spring plug down range and locked the slide back to where I had to beat it on the bench to free it. I had witnesses there that said they have never seen anything like that.I like the EAA witness.No problems like that and more reliable than a standard 1911.

jarhead1911A

imported post

EAA Witness????? Ya you got a smokin gun not bad for an ITALIAN built weapon... As far as 1911's go i am partial to Taurus but then again just about everything i have owned or own is Taurus.... Never had a problem id trust any of them with my life in any enviroment in the world......

jarhead1911A

imported post

HA HA HA HA HA HA OMG that is about the funniest cartoon i have ever soon!!!!!! thats going in my favorites folder right next to the "i like guns" song...

jarhead1911A

imported post

Its so easy even a cop and use it....... OK sorry to any LEO's on the board i couldnt resist to many caveman commercials

DEROS72

imported post

Who did this ? that is way cool...send that around to all the LE agencies in Wa.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

DEROS72 wrote:
Who did this ? that is way cool...send that around to all the LE agencies in Wa.
I made it in a very short time. Deros you could even use this program, its that easy. All you need to do is come up with a script, plug it into the correct places, select the people you want and put it in motion.....

DEROS72

imported post

Thanks Bill I thought that was great stuff..And tell Marc its ok to grow hair if he wants......