• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question, 1911 Owners!

erich_kopp

imported post

I have a Para ssp match and am looking for a Kimber full frame (5 inch) are they really worth the extra $400 that I payed for my Para, And is it a better carry weapon My Para has a 1 3/4trigger pull So now I'm carrying a Springfield xd, it's safer to carry for now.

Trigger Dr

imported post

The last 4 years that I worked in a gun business (up til Oct 12 2009) Kimber 1911 and Taurus millenium pro were the 2 guns with the highest rate of return for problems. the Taurus normally was sent in one time. The kimbers usually had to go back at least twice.

gsx1138

imported post

Trigger Dr wrote:
The last 4 years that I worked in a gun business (up til Oct 12 2009) Kimber 1911 and Taurus millenium pro were the 2 guns with the highest rate of return for problems. the Taurus normally was sent in one time. The kimbers usually had to go back at least twice.

What happened Trigger Dr? You get tired of the place? I went in a couple of times the last few weeks looking for you because I'm not a fan of everyone else who works there.

Trigger Dr

imported post

I got tired of all the BS from the A.H. ass't mgr with the pig tail. I made a demand and was told I could go back on the floor and continue work or go home and talk to the store mgr the next day. I cleaned out my locker and never looked back. I doubt that place will be in business a year from now if they keep the same management.

I am the 4th person to leave that same way. Each of us has written to corporate but no change yet.

Corporate needs to hear from customers as well as former employees.

massivedesign

imported post

From what I have heard the newer Kimber's can't be compared to the older generations based on quality. The older Kimbers always stood for a NICE gun, decent priced and very reliable. it seems as if the newer versions have gone down the crapper..

Batousaii

imported post

i carry a Colt 1911 .. if your gonna pay a good price, should get a good dependable (and traditional) 1911. parts are common, and i never had any issues with mine.

;)Bat.

sempercarry

imported post

I also have a Colt 1911.....not an A1...just a strait 1911 manufactured in march of1918. I have never had amalfunction and it shoots like it was new. Go with the original and get a Colt

FunkTrooper

imported post

I would say it depends on if it gives you that second kind of cool, I carry a Taurus PT1911 and I wouldn't trade it for anything. From what I've seen if you buy a kimber your just buying the name there are plenty of pistols that work the same and are just as good but are much less expensive.

SpyderTattoo

imported post

I just sold off a Kimber Tac. Custom 2 that I carried for almost 5 years. I just didn't trust it. Too many problems feeding. In my opinion,Kimber, at least the newer ones, are not worth the money. I said I sold mine off, bought a Glock 21SF with the money. Still .45 ACP, but with 13+1 and reliable as $hit.

amzbrady

imported post

Had to send in my PT111 Mill Pro twice, second time resulted in them sending me a new one as replacement. BTW TrigDoc, I was told BY TAURUS rep, that it is not a worry carring chambered with the saftey off, trigger pull is to hard to worry about accidental discharge. For some reason that doesnt give me a warm fuzzy feeling of safety. you ever heard that?

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

I owned a Para SSP in .45 and it would feed anything I put in the mag, very reliable. I now own a Springfield 1911 along with with the 9mm conversion.

Except for the Kimber Desert Warrior, I haven't been impressed with anything Kimber has.

Vandal

imported post

I carry a Kimber Stainless II daily, coming up on one year of having it. I have had zero issues with it and would buy another one. The former Kimber CEO, now at Sig, let QC go down hill in the name of profits. The guns made in the last year or two haven't had nearly the issues of the external extractor and when they made the change over to the Custom II series. Most of the Kimber stories I have heard are from 2nd and 3rd hand sources or on the net.

I bought the Kimber and stopped carrying my XD45, so I sold it. Yes, I sold a XD and completely switched to my Kimber. For semi-custom production guns Kimber and SA are the best out there.

Trigger Dr

imported post

amzbrady wrote:
Had to send in my PT111 Mill Pro twice, second time resulted in them sending me a new one as replacement. BTW TrigDoc, I was told BY TAURUS rep, that it is not a worry carring chambered with the saftey off, trigger pull is to hard to worry about accidental discharge. For some reason that doesnt give me a warm fuzzy feeling of safety. you ever heard that?
Yes and I don't believe them.

amzbrady

imported post

Couldnt believe the cust service rep would jeoperdize his position there, he told me that the saftey was there because it the law in the US that they have to have one, He said he has one and never uses it. WOW, I dont think I would ever tell someone not to use a safety.

I think Taurus could benifit from a better safety that is not so easy to knockinto "unsafe"

killchain

imported post

amzbrady wrote:
Couldnt believe the cust service rep would jeoperdize his position there, he told me that the saftey was there because it the law in the US that they have to have one, He said he has one and never uses it. WOW, I dont think I would ever tell someone not to use a safety.

I think Taurus could benifit from a better safety that is not so easy to knockinto "unsafe"
My Taurus PT145, in my opinion, has a far superior safety than a 1911. It's a rocker thumb safety that is ergonomically moved. (Safe is up, down is down. Backwards of the Beretta 92FS)

A 1911 has a grip safety. That bothers me, considering the strap-retaining holsters some people have and people carrying them "condition one." I can tell you right now I'd have trouble with that. So I stay away from it.

I'm anal about having a manual safety, none of this dovetail grip or Glock psuedo-safety.

OlGutshotWilly

Campaign Veteran
imported post

killchain wrote:
amzbrady wrote:
Couldnt believe the cust service rep would jeoperdize his position there, he told me that the saftey was there because it the law in the US that they have  to have one, He said he has one and never uses it. WOW, I dont think I would ever tell someone not to use a safety.

I think Taurus could benifit from a better safety that is not so easy to knock into "unsafe"
My Taurus PT145, in my opinion, has a far superior safety than a 1911. It's a rocker thumb safety that is ergonomically moved. (Safe is up, down is down. Backwards of the Beretta 92FS)

A 1911 has a grip safety. That bothers me, considering the strap-retaining holsters some people have and people carrying them "condition one." I can tell you right now I'd have trouble with that. So I stay away from it.

I'm anal about having a manual safety, none of this dovetail grip or Glock psuedo-safety.

If a 1911 in condition one scares you, then you certainly should not own one. That is the only way to carry one.

I've carried them for 36 years with no problems. Exceedingly safe. 3 safety's rolled into two mechanisms. Thumb safety blocking the sear. If that fails the grip safety also blocks the sear. If that one fails also, the grip safety has a metal rod that physically blocks the firing pin from contacting the round if the hammer falls. It works exceptionally well..........

Anyone who places a strap across the grip safety shouldn't be carrying one and certainly does not understand how they work.

As to Kimber/Para's. I have owned genuine Colts that were 100% reliable. Fed anything. My Kimber Ultra SIS has been great. Some feed problems during break in but fires my home loads and defense rounds reliably. As much as I thought I would like the Para's, my P10 and my Warthog don't feed jack S*&^t.

I'm pretty frustrated with them.

killchain

imported post

n15wb wrote:
killchain wrote:
amzbrady wrote:

If a 1911 in condition one scares you, then you certainly should not own one. That is the only way to carry one.

I've carried them for 36 years with no problems. Exceedingly safe. 3 safety's rolled into two mechanisms. Thumb safety blocking the sear. If that fails the grip safety also blocks the sear. If that one fails also, the grip safety has a metal rod that physically blocks the firing pin from contacting the round if the hammer falls. It works exceptionally well..........

Anyone who places a strap across the grip safety shouldn't be carrying one and certainly does not understand how they work.

As to Kimber/Para's. I have owned genuine Colts that were 100% reliable. Fed anything. My Kimber Ultra SIS has been great. Some feed problems during break in but fires my home loads and defense rounds reliably. As much as I thought I would like the Para's, my P10 and my Warthog don't feed jack S*&^t.

I'm pretty frustrated with them.
And I don't own one. Might GET one some day, but I'd never carry it. Just my preference. I'm not bashing 1911's at all. ;)

Mortech

imported post

I carry a Taurus PT1911 , is been totally reliable for the past year that I've owned it . I've heard too many horror stories fromlocal owners to put money on a Kimber even tho they look real purdy .

Trigger Dr

imported post

I picked up a Rock Island 1911 today at the WAC show, Yeah me the wheel gun guy. I also got a Clark barrel cal. 38 super for a 1911.This is a fully supported ramped stainless barrel.

This barrel new sells for $165. It is match grade and un used. I will sell for $125, just what I paid. Any takers PM me.

I thought about converting calibre but decided not.

PM me if interested.