• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

UOC meet San Pedro Jan. 3rd

cato

imported post

You all better really be sure about school zones. I wouldn't trust just google earth. Whip out a Thomas Guide and study it good. Recon your ground ahead of time etc... You and wedon't want another 626.9 fight right now.

And please don't antagonize the coffie shop. If they don't want you there find another business at which to spend your money.

If there is a CASE against Mike, no matter how bogus to us, realize making this a big deal with a "rally" could do him harm ($$$$)and make the other side dig in their heals. I don't know the concealment issues with that jacket modification etc... but do tread smater not harder...(or so the saying goes). Seriously listen to any advice from the CGF and your attorney if any.

Hopefully there will be no charges filed next week when the DA (city or county) gets the case info.

LAPD, Conceal this :p

chewy352

imported post

Ok I'll try to answer all the questions/comments.

My plan is to just have everyone that attends walk into the coffee shop in mass and spent their hard earned money. If we are asked to leave then that is all that will be told to the media,"they did not want our money because we carry guns legally." I don't like confrontations so I will try to have a conversation with management but I will not refuse to leave or anything.

I was not planning to use picket signs. It is legal to picket while armed as long as your not refusing to work. I believe that was already cited. Call me on it if it wasn't. I am going out there to educate the shop owners/security and LAPD.

It seems the consensus is for a later meet time which is why I waited to post a time. So I'm setting the meet time for 1:30 PM. Leo if you could edit the OP to include the time I would appreciate it.

Any other questions/comments please feel free to post them. This is how we stay out of trouble by working together. Thanks a lot all and please PM me if you will be attending.

leoffensive

imported post

chewy352 wrote:
Ok I'll try to answer all the questions/comments.

My plan is to just have everyone that attends walk into the coffee shop in mass and spent their hard earned money. If we are asked to leave then that is all that will be told to the media,"they did not want our money because we carry guns legally." I don't like confrontations so I will try to have a conversation with management but I will not refuse to leave or anything.

I was not planning to use picket signs. It is legal to picket while armed as long as your not refusing to work. I believe that was already cited. Call me on it if it wasn't. I am going out there to educate the shop owners/security and LAPD.

It seems the consensus is for a later meet time which is why I waited to post a time. So I'm setting the meet time for 1:30 PM. Leo if you could edit the OP to include the time I would appreciate it.

Any other questions/comments please feel free to post them. This is how we stay out of trouble by working together. Thanks a lot all and please PM me if you will be attending.

10-4 buddy ill go ahead and edit it

A ECNALG

imported post

And loitering is defined under Californialaw herein:

California Health and Safety Code:[/b]

11530. As used in this subdivision, the following terms have the following meanings:

(a) "Loiter" means to delay or linger without a lawful purpose for being on the property and for the purpose of committing a crime as opportunity may be discovered.

(b) "Public place" means an area open to the public or exposed to public view and includes streets, sidewalks, bridges, alleys, plazas, parks, driveways, parking lots, automobiles, whether moving or not, and buildings open to the general public, including those which serve food or drink, or provide entertainment, and the doorways and entrances to buildings or dwellings and the grounds enclosing them.

11532. (a) It is unlawful for any person to loiter in any public place in a manner and under circumstances manifesting the purpose and with the intent to commit an offense specified in Chapter 6 (commencing with Section 11350) and Chapter 6.5 (commencing with Section 11400).

chewy352

imported post

Here is the press release I sent out to the major news stations in LA:

To Whom It May Concern,

On January 1, 2010 a regular Unloaded Open Carry participant was falsly arrested for carrying a concealed weapon by LAPD. In response to this miscarriage of justice a group of 10 or more UOCers will be going back to the same location to show support and educate the public and LAPD on the laws concerning carrying a weapon in California.

The location is: 468 West 6th Street San Pedro, CA 90731-2632
Date/Time: January 3 / 1:30PM

Attached is some background information and law concerning UOC. Thank you for your time and possible coverage of this event.

If you have any questions, please contact me.

Regards,
Michael xxxxxxxxxxxx
xxx-xxx-xxxx

Decoligny

imported post

MudCamper wrote:
Don't picket. There is a CA PC against bringing firearms to picketing activities. I forget the section.

There is no law against bringing a firearm to "picketing activities".

The law in question covers bringing a firearm to a picketing activity relating to a concerted refusal to work.

Basically, it says that you can't bring a gun to the picket line of an ongoing strike.

A protest activity does not fall into this category.

Code:
12590.  (a) Any person who does any of the following acts while
engaged in [b]picketing[/b], or other informational activities in a public
place [u][b]relating to a concerted refusal to work[/b][/u], is guilty of a
misdemeanor:
(1) Carries concealed upon his person or within any vehicle which
is under his or her control or direction any pistol, revolver, or
other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person.
(2) Carries a loaded firearm upon his or her person or within any
vehicle which is under his or her control or direction.
(3) Carries a deadly weapon.
(4) Wears the uniform of a peace officer, whether or not the
person is a peace officer.
(b) This section shall not be construed to authorize or ratify any
[b]picketing[/b] or other informational activities not otherwise authorized
by law.
(c) Section 12027 shall not be construed to authorize any conduct
described in paragraph (1) of subdivision (a), nor shall subdivision
(b) of Section 12031 be construed to authorize any conduct described
in paragraph (2) of subdivision (a).

yelohamr

imported post

For what its worth, you might want to be prepared for the chance that an employee working when you get there, was also working last night. The call to 911 will probably mention something about the guy that was arrested last night is back and the men with him are armed.

It could be considered an attempt to intimidate the employees.

Good luck.

chewy352

imported post

yelohamr wrote:
For what its worth, you might want to be prepared for the chance that an employee working when you get there, was also working last night. The call to 911 will probably mention something about the guy that was arrested last night is back and the men with him are armed.

It could be considered an attempt to intimidate the employees.

Good luck.
Thank you for that insight. We should all go in there with a smiles and such like it's just a normal meet up.

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

cato wrote:
The law in question....
only prohibits concealed and loaded. UOC is GTG at a "refusal to work" picketing action.

Hmm...I think I understand your reasoning here, since the penal code specifically mentions firearms in two scenarios, that they probably didn't mean that #3, a deadly weapon, could be a firearm.

I'd be hesitant to test that theory out personally.

A ECNALG

imported post

I realize that I may catch a bit of flak from some of youfrom what you are about to read, but since when has that ever stopped me?

As media may be present, and LE most likely will be present, and the general public most certainly will be present, and our primary objective is to educate, inform and persuade, I wish to ask that everyone who UOC's to please, please dress accordingly.

Those of you with whom I have walked know that the reason I dress in a dress-casual manner (looking like an off-duty cop, as I have been told)is 100% for public relations purposes. The image that we project should always be at the very least non-threatening, and at best professional. And while I know from postings elsewherethat such is no guarantee of success with everyone we are observed by or come into direct contact, it is nonetheless, at least in my opinion, a wise practice.

We are all well aware of how unusual it is to see someone walking about sporting a firearm on his/her hip without also a LE or security service badge being visible. So, if our intent truly is to acclimate the public to civilian, non-LE OC, then a good practice is to appear as non-threatening as possible. Think of it this way, say that you are sitting in your favorite local coffee shopand some guy walks in . . . baggy pants pulled down to his thighs, 8 inches of boxer shorts visible, tee shirt pulled up so as to expose his stomach, a baseball capworn sideways, sneakers with untied laces,dark sunglasses (at9 pm), and, oh yeah, a .45 on his hip with hammer cocked and magazine inserted. What would be your first impression ? Come on, be honest now.

Well, if you are like me, youmightstart thinking in terms of cover and concealment.

But would your reaction be the same if thatguy insteadworn a shirt and tie (no, I'm not asking you to wear a tie)?

"First impressions are lasting impressions" issomething that weshould bear in mindwhen it comes tothe public, mediaand LE whom we are attempting educate, inform and . . .persuade.

Thank you for your indulgence.

leoffensive

imported post

A ECNALG wrote:
I realize that I may catch a bit of flak from some of youfrom what you are about to read, but since when has that ever stopped me?

As media may be present, and LE most likely will be present, and the general public most certainly will be present, and our primary objective is to educate, inform and persuade, I wish to ask that everyone who UOC's to please, please dress accordingly.

Those of you with whom I have walked know that the reason I dress in a dress-casual manner (looking like an off-duty cop, as I have been told)is 100% for public relations purposes. The image that we project should always be at the very least non-threatening, and at best professional. And while I know from postings elsewherethat such is no guarantee of success with everyone we are observed by or come into direct contact, it is nonetheless, at least in my opinion, a wise practice.

We are all well aware of how unusual it is to see someone walking about sporting a firearm on his/her hip without also a LE or security service badge being visible. So, if our intent truly is to acclimate the public to civilian, non-LE OC, then a good practice is to appear as non-threatening as possible. Think of it this way, say that you are sitting in your favorite local coffee shopand some guy walks in . . . baggy pants pulled down to his thighs, 8 inches of boxer shorts visible, tee shirt pulled up so as to expose his stomach, a baseball capworn sideways, sneakers with untied laces,dark sunglasses (at9 pm), and, oh yeah, a .45 on his hip with hammer cocked and magazine inserted. What would be your first impression ? Come on, be honest now.

Well, if you are like me, youmightstart thinking in terms of cover and concealment.

But would your reaction be the same if thatguy insteadworn a shirt and tie (no, I'm not asking you to wear a tie)?

"First impressions are lasting impressions" issomething that weshould bear in mindwhen it comes tothe public, mediaand LE whom we are attempting educate, inform and . . .persuade.

haha yea i already planned to dress up a little better than what i usually wear everyday

Gundude

imported post

leoffensive wrote:
A ECNALG wrote:

haha yea i already planned to dress up a little better than what i usually wear everyday
Would a new pair of "bibs" anda John Deere cap be apporiate?

N6ATF

Banned
imported post

Per Chewy352 and LAPD hotshots scanner feed, things are going crazy down there. 10-15 units, ambulance, helo... here's my SMS log to him so far:

Me: Per LAPD hotshots, suspect in custody at 118 S Mesa St (cross 1st) with "unknown weapon". Close to where you guys are, it looks like. 1:55 PM
Me: Just heard "right to carry a weapon" but missed the address. Not sure if it was the S Mesa incident. This is N6ATF btw. 2:01 PM
Me: 468 W 6th Taurus 9mm, unloaded, mags in posession, @ 11:30 am, for info. 2:05 PM

N6ATF

Banned
imported post

I haven't heard anything clearly that could have been related.

Though, the helo moved on to check out a gas station on MLK Jr. (not near San Pedro) with multiple males and females reported fighting, one with a gun. Helo said no fight seen, just the group of people, then vehicles leaving.

Gundude

imported post

There should be some good video on this one. LAPD should wear Depends cuz it sounds like they are pissing their pants.

N6ATF

Banned
imported post

Gundude wrote:
There should be some good video on this one. LAPD should wear Depends cuz it sounds like they are pissing their pants.
The cop calling for backup at 118 S Mesa was breathless... I think they said it was a residence (& gave a unit number), and it looks like an apartment complex from the sat imagery. Please tell me that wasn't Mike Hunt's apartment...