• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Visiting from Idaho

Porter N

imported post

My wife's family lives in Utah, but we live in Idaho. we're planning a trip down to Utah coming up on the 9th, and I'm a little nervous OC'ing in a state i don't live in.
As an Idaho resident, what am i legally allowed to do OC-wise in my visits to Utah. I don't have my concealed license yet, or I wouldn't be so reserved to carry across state lines.

thanks for the help!

utbagpiper

Banned
imported post

Porter N wrote:
My wife's family lives in Utah, but we live in Idaho. we're planning a trip down to Utah coming up on the 9th, and I'm a little nervous OC'ing in a state i don't live in.
As an Idaho resident, what am i legally allowed to do OC-wise in my visits to Utah. I don't have my concealed license yet, or I wouldn't be so reserved to carry across state lines.

thanks for the help!
Porter,

I hope you enjoy your visit to Utah. A valid permit to carry a (concealed) firearm issued from anywhere in the nation allows you to carry a loaded and concealed (or non-concealed) firearm in Utah.

Without a permit you may carry a short gun as you see fit inside your own car. Open, concealed, loaded or not. Your choice. Utah is now an "extended domain" State for car carry of handguns. Long guns must be "unloaded" (no round in chamber) while in your car unless you have a permit. Similarly, no permit is needed to carry a loaded and/or concealed firearm in your own home, apartment, etc.

Outside your car, you may carry a gun in public without a permit so long as the gun is "utah unloaded". This means no round in the chamber on semi-autos. Full magazine is ok. On a revolver it means no round under the hammer and no round in the next chamber up on a double action. The gun must also not be concealed. This can mean in plain sight such as a holster on your hip not covered by clothing. It can also mean in a fully zippered or latched gun case, in a box or package that is taped or tied shut, etc.

The biggest challenge to permit free OC in Utah is that our State law gun free school zone includes not only K-12, but also preschools/daycares, as well as all post secondary schools.

You may not carry a gun onto a Trax (lite rail) train or UTA bus station (including bus stops) without a permit. So unless you have a permit, don't take your gun onto our mass transit.

Culturally, most police agencies in Utah are OC aware and not hostile, especially if you are obviously middle age and not looking like a gang member. Most business are likewise not going to hassle you with the rare exception of a Walmart, Costco, or mall here or there.

I am not a lawyer, this is not legal advice. You can and should read over Utah code for yourself at 76-10-5xx for starters at <http://www.le.state.ut.us/UtahCode/section.jsp?code=76-10>.

Charles

Porter N

imported post

Culturally, most police agencies in Utah are OC aware and not hostile, especially if you are obviously middle age and not looking like a gang member. Most business are likewise not going to hassle you with the rare exception of a Walmart, Costco, or mall here or there.

I am not a lawyer, this is not legal advice. You can and should read over Utah code for yourself at 76-10-5xx for starters at <http://www.le.state.ut.us/UtahCode/section.jsp?code=76-10>.

Charles
thanks for the help! i just turned 21, so i do get more nervous looks than i'd imagine my dad getting. and i've had my share of issues with walmart and costco here in Idaho as well, but i know wal-mart's policies and i dont carry in costco anymore.

thanks again