• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Safariland ALS Holster (Model 6377 and 6378)

230therapy

imported post

I recently acquired a Safariland ALS holster from opticsplanet.com. It is model number 6377, which means it has belt loops rather than a paddle. Their paddle holster is model number 6378.

The Safariland ALS 6377 (and 6378) holster is a retention holster that locks the gun in around the ejection port. A simple lever is used to release the gun during the draw. It offers a natural draw because the hand lands in the "high thumb" position (as if you were working a 1911) and the thumb sweeps down to where it would normally rest. Lift the gun out when you feel the interference from the lever. The natural fold of my shirt easily conceals the lever and I have not had any trouble with snagging.

I have found this system to be quite fast after only about 20-30 minutes of dry fire practice. I highly recommend this holster.

Furthermore, opticsplanet.com has Safariland ALS holsters for $38.79 shipped! You may need to wait up to two weeks, but I found opticsplanet.com's service to be quite good.

Belt holster 6377:

http://www.opticsplanet.net/safariland-model-6377-selection.html

Paddle holster 6378:

http://www.opticsplanet.net/safariland-model-6378-selection.html

DonovanM

imported post

I jumped in on this deal as well, but I didn't have to wait a couple weeks. I bought mine on the day after Christmas, it was shipped out on the 28th, and I just received it today (it's waiting for me when I get home!).

Bought it off eBay FWIW. Haven't heard anything but good things about Safariland's products.

mel5051

imported post

230therapy wrote:
I recently acquired a Safariland ALS holster from opticsplanet.com. It is model number 6377, which means it has belt loops rather than a paddle. Their paddle holster is model number 6378.

The Safariland ALS 6377 (and 6378) holster is a retention holster that locks the gun in around the ejection port. A simple lever is used to release the gun during the draw. It offers a natural draw because the hand lands in the "high thumb" position (as if you were working a 1911) and the thumb sweeps down to where it would normally rest. Lift the gun out when you feel the interference from the lever. The natural fold of my shirt easily conceals the lever and I have not had any trouble with snagging.

I have found this system to be quite fast after only about 20-30 minutes of dry fire practice. I highly recommend this holster.

Furthermore, opticsplanet.com has Safariland ALS holsters for $38.79 shipped! You may need to wait up to two weeks, but I found opticsplanet.com's service to be quite good.

Belt holster 6377:

http://www.opticsplanet.net/safariland-model-6377-selection.html

Paddle holster 6378:

http://www.opticsplanet.net/safariland-model-6378-selection.html
I'm wearing the 6377 right now. It was funny..took me 2 days to figure out how to tighten the tension on it :banghead:

Ok, start laughing, I laughed at myself !

230therapy

imported post

I've been using this holster on and off for awhile now. My only gripe is the belt attachment. It's a bit annoying to get on and off, but it will NOT move when on the belt.

O2HeN2

Safariland 6377 holster

Though I’ve held a CCW permit since 1995 as well as OCing in the past, I’ve decided to do more OC in the future. I have a couple Safariland 5181 paddle holsters that I use for CC, but for OC I wanted a retention holster. Since I’ve had such good luck with Safariland I looked at their current offerings and found the 6377 holster. For retention reasons I passed on the 6378 paddle holster, though if it anchors in a similar manner to the 5181s it is probably an excellent alternative.

Got it this morning and at first blush it’s an awesome holster! The firearm (specifically in my case, a Glock 19) can be adjusted to three carry positions, from vertical to a severe forward rake if you were to carry it towards the small of your back. It comes set to the middle rake. Since I bought this for OCing I’ll carry strong side so I adjusted it to vertical carry. Remove two screws and loosen another with the supplied hex wrench and you can easily change the rake.

The retention is extremely strong and positive – when the firearm is inserted there’s a solid “click” as the retention device engages the ejection port. The draw can be completely silent (though I notice fast draws sometimes results in a soft “click”) – you drive the retention release backwards with your thumb and draw – very simple and because I shoot a 1911 with my thumb over the safety – very natural as well. The release falls right under my thumb as I grip the gun in the holster.

I also bought the optional 6006 ALS guard that covers the retention release upping the holster’s ability to retain the firearm. I’m not quite sold on it yet – it takes a little force to get it out of the way before you can release the firearm. It easily installs on the holster and can be removed – exactly what I did after playing with it for a little while. I’ll revisit it at a later date.

Given the street price for this holster, ~$40, you really can’t go wrong, and I would highly recommend it for anyone that’s looking for a good retention holster for OC. I purchased mine at copsplus.com along with a black Aker B21 belt to support it.

I consider it an excellent holster and an excellent value!

O2

Ps. I actually ordered two holsters, the second 6377 of for a Government 1911 but that's backordered. I'll also update this review when I get that in...

jwinkeler

Wear that holster on a duty belt loop(drops and offsets so no winter wear covers the firearm or holster)for open carry when ever I can, can't think of anything negative about it

edc

I had been using the 6378 for my XD40 and recently ordered one for my new Kimber 1911. It's a great holster.

Both of my 6378s came with the belt attachment and the paddle attachment so it kind of seems that the 6377 belt specific model is redundant.. hah

O2HeN2

Both of my 6378s came with the belt attachment and the paddle attachment so it kind of seems that the 6377 belt specific model is redundant.. hah
Yhea, I just checked out a 6378 in a retail store over the weekend and it did indeed come with both a paddle and belt loop mount -- I thought people were saying the paddle had holes for a belt as well, but no, it contains the same belt mount that the 6377 has. So from now on I'll probably just recommend the 6378 for versatility.

O2

O2HeN2

Not too keen on the 6377/6378 with a 1911...

I really like the Safariland’s 6377/6378 holster for my Glock. However, I’m not really happy with it for the 1911 because it leaves the 1911’s ambidextrous safety completely exposed on the outside of the holster which makes it much too easy to be accidentally swept off:

6377_1911.jpg

Unlike my Safariland 5181 which completely covers the safety:

5181_1911.jpg

However, unlike the 6377/6378, the 5181 does not have any retention device other than friction, so that makes it unacceptable for OC, in my opinion.

O2

SGB

I run a 6377 W/ALS Guard for a Sig P226 on a 2" nylon Duty belt. I found that after 20 minutes of practice with the ALS Guard in place that I suffered no decrease in draw speed. In my Opinion it's an excellent, inexpensive and intuitive way to turn a good threat level I holster into an excellent threat level II.

Last edited:

edc

I really like the Safariland’s 6377/6378 holster for my Glock. However, I’m not really happy with it for the 1911 because it leaves the 1911’s ambidextrous safety completely exposed on the outside of the holster which makes it much too easy to be accidentally swept off:

I loved the 6378 for my XD40, but not so much for my 1911.

I just bought a Kimber Stainless TLEII and the 6378 is leaving two wear marks on the finish. One long line on the bottom of the frame near the end of the barrel, and another small spot on the trigger guard. I know, I know... it's just a tool and gets wear and tear. But I don't like how it is trying to rub the finish off. I put some tape on it as a temporary fix.. hah