• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Costco in Chantilly

richarcm

imported post

Bottom line is that most store managers of any store are given the authority to do whatever they feel necessary to secure their store. I would imagine that MOST corporate offices will back up the store managers in this situation unless they blatantly stand behind the 2nd amendment. It is private property....if they don't want guns in their store, they don't want guns in their store. Its not ideal but it is the way that it is. Shop at Sams. They are owned by Walmart. Surely they are a bit better about allowing gun owners in their store. But I dont know.....

user

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Already pointed out the cite to the Virginia Consumer Protection Act. Members and their authorized guests are there pursuant to a written contract. There is a statute that says occupiers of land can tell people "no guns" on their property, so I'd go along with the corporate policy thing. But I'd file suit for breach of contract, and violation of the Virginia Consumer Protection Act. Paragraph 14, in particular, prohibits conduct that is fraudulent, deceptive, and misleading. Since there's nothing in the contract or materials given when they take the money, and those written materials constitute "statements of fact" regarding the right to come into the store, there has been a material misrepresentation of fact, intended to be relied upon by the merchant, and in fact was relied upon, to the detriment of the consumer. That's the definition of "actual fraud". A willful violation is good for up to fifteen hundred bucks, as I recall.

NightmareSHANIQUA

Haymarket/Gainesville/Arlington/GMU , Virginia, US
imported post

user wrote:
Already pointed out the cite to the Virginia Consumer Protection Act. Members and their authorized guests are there pursuant to a written contract. There is a statute that says occupiers of land can tell people "no guns" on their property, so I'd go along with the corporate policy thing. But I'd file suit for breach of contract, and violation of the Virginia Consumer Protection Act. Paragraph 14, in particular, prohibits conduct that is fraudulent, deceptive, and misleading. Since there's nothing in the contract or materials given when they take the money, and those written materials constitute "statements of fact" regarding the right to come into the store, there has been a material misrepresentation of fact, intended to be relied upon by the merchant, and in fact was relied upon, to the detriment of the consumer. That's the definition of "actual fraud". A willful violation is good for up to fifteen hundred bucks, as I recall.
Might be worth looking in to... I dont think people tell you often enough. Youre kinda effin' amazing.

tag

imported post

user wrote:
Am I wrong in thinking that this would almost definitely lead to a written no guns policy in the membership agreement, along with no guns signs?

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

tag wrote:
user wrote:
Am I wrong in thinking that this would almost definitely lead to a written no guns policy in the membership agreement, along with no guns signs?
I was kinda thinking the same thing. If you can CC in costco and still protect yourself, that is better than a no guns policy. I still OC when i can but i dont push it anywhere.

9MM Owner

imported post

Just a thought here. Being that Costco is a "Member's Club"and not in the same genre as a Walgreens which is open to the general public, wouldn't being a member of a club makethem a part owner (in a backdoor way)? Saying that if it's about being considered private propertywouldn't being a member (backdoor part owner) of a "CLUB" on that property makeit legal to OC (or CC) if not spelled out in its membership applications or posted?

nova

imported post

ed wrote:
tag wrote:
user wrote:
I was kinda thinking the same thing. If you can CC in costco and still protect yourself, that is better than a no guns policy. I still OC when i can but i dont push it anywhere.
I agree 100%, and I don't even have a CHP at the moment. CC is better than no C at all. :)

jadedone4

imported post

9MM Owner wrote:
Just a thought here. Being that Costco is a "Member's Club"and not in the same genre as a Walgreens which is open to the general public, wouldn't being a member of a club makethem a part owner (in a backdoor way)? Saying that if it's about being considered private propertywouldn't being a member (backdoor part owner) of a "CLUB" on that property makeit legal to OC (or CC) if not spelled out in its membership applications or posted?

Member does not equal Owner; Costco is still private property, their house, their rules.

Sorry but it was too cold out there today for me to head over to Costco; I'm down to 1999 rolls of Charmin, it is tough but I think I can hold out for warmer weather.....

TFred

imported post

tag wrote:
user wrote:
That would probably depend on whether they were more afraid of a) people who carry guns, or b) losing the business of people who carry guns.

I don't think there is any way to tell ahead of time which they would like less. But if it's the former, then I would suspect that we would indeed see a new membership policy and posting at the stores.

I suppose someone could ask, but as always, that could generate the same results anyway.

TFred

NightmareSHANIQUA

imported post

TFred wrote:
tag wrote:
user wrote:
That would probably depend on whether they were more afraid of a) people who carry guns, or b) losing the business of people who carry guns.

I don't think there is any way to tell ahead of time which they would like less. But if it's the former, then I would suspect that we would indeed see a new membership policy and posting at the stores.

I suppose someone could ask, but as always, that could generate the same results anyway.

TFred
It seems like were damned if we do, only half damned if we dont. CC will probably be the only way firearms make it into Costco, but if we press it for the sake of open carry, we could get the sign and amendment in the membership agreement. I know I wont be over patronizing Costco unless I absolutely need to at this point in time. Manassas will get my business, but Chantilly will gladly never see me again.

ed

imported post

NightmareSHANIQUA wrote:
CC will probably be the only way firearms make it into Costco
You mean THAT Costco... Like I said, I have carried into Sterling for years and have never had a problem... If someone were to push the issue to a regional manager, they might in turn send a memo/email to Sterling GM and say somethig to the effect that NO Open Carry is allowed or worse yet, no carry at all.

bohdi

imported post

Costco does have a no weapons policy. If you search the forum you will find a link for it. I know, I found it. I just don't remember where it is. I also posted the letter that I received on this forum from that General Manager, who happens to be a woman, confirming as much. As have other folks in other states.

If you look like a out of uniform LEO, and act like an out of uniform LEO, people will think you are an out of uniform LEO. What most folks don't realize is that out of uniform LEO's don't tend to OC.....or do they?

What I was told when I was asked to leave was that someone spotted me and felt uncomfortable....that's the common reoccuring theme here for Costco. They will let you OC, but if someone tells them about it and raises a stink they'll eject you.

Further if you look at the agreement you signed up for, they can terminate your agreement for cause. So that means if you become an @ss and are walking through the isles yelling about the prices being too high, or how the manager is endangering your safety for not letting you carry, or that they don't sell Rolexes at 75% off, guess what? They can eject you and never allow you back in.

NightmareSHANIQUA

imported post

ed wrote:
NightmareSHANIQUA wrote:
You mean THAT Costco... Like I said, I have carried into Sterling for years and have never had a problem... If someone were to push the issue to a regional manager, they might in turn send a memo/email to Sterling GM and say somethig to the effect that NO Open Carry is allowed or worse yet, no carry at all.
Which is why I dont think Im going to push it further. Id rather those of us with CCWs to still conceal and protect ourselves. It sucks that one store doesnt allow it, but it would be much more advantageous to let them sit in their fortress of anti than lose the ability to carry in all the stores.

ed

imported post

NightmareSHANIQUA wrote:
ed wrote:
NightmareSHANIQUA wrote:
Which is why I dont think Im going to push it further. Id rather those of us with CCWs to still conceal and protect ourselves. It sucks that one store doesnt allow it, but it would be much more advantageous to let them sit in their fortress of anti than lose the ability to carry in all the stores.
I think you mean CHP's and I agree with your assesment (VA does not issue CCW's :)

NightmareSHANIQUA

imported post

ed wrote:
NightmareSHANIQUA wrote:
ed wrote:
NightmareSHANIQUA wrote:
I think you mean CHP's and I agree with your assesment (VA does not issue CCW's :)
Just got an eye for detail dont ya ed? :p My mistake, I was talking to someone else from out of state and they kept saying CCW and it mustve burned in.

ed

imported post

NightmareSHANIQUA wrote:
Just got an eye for detail dont ya ed? :p My mistake
It's ok.. many people come here for knowledge and if we all use the right terms (magazine instead of clip ... when you actually mean magazine, etc) it will only help us all (IMHO)

MSC 45ACP

imported post

ed wrote:
NightmareSHANIQUA wrote:
It's ok.. many people come here for knowledge and if we all use the right terms (magazine instead of clip ... when you actually mean magazine, etc) it will only help us all (IMHO)
Ed, you've touched ona subject near and dear to my heart: Correct nomenclature. I've recovered (almost) from the poor grammar and spelling errors on the board, but it drives me NUTZ when people(who are supposed to know better) use the wrong terminology about firearms. The "CLIP/MAGAZINE" conversation is the biggest one.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

MSC 45ACP wrote:
ed wrote:
NightmareSHANIQUA wrote:
Ed, you've touched ona subject near and dear to my heart: Correct nomenclature. I've recovered (almost) from the poor grammar and spelling errors on the board, but it drives me NUTZ when people (who are supposed to know better) use the wrong terminology about firearms. The "CLIP/MAGAZINE" conversation is the biggest one.1
I've addressed the subject many times Msc.

that the lack of precise lanuage in America today is one of the main causes of juvenile delinquency, global warming and fat girls in spandex.

Elmo stated he was in complete agreement and added that pre-mature balding was related to imprecise language use and further stated that run on sentences also contributed to the lack of moral outrage one would considier appropriate in such a country as ours, whose fore-fathers fought and died, lost homes, fortunes, and loved ones in the never ending battle against tyrany in all it’s forms and as evidenced by the furher degradation and outright lack of moral fiber so readily apparant in todays youth, nay, even our senior citizenry whose own history is resplendant in examples of what the lack of precise lanuage and use of run on sentences brings forth when allowed to procreate in the seemilngly vast cesspool of the modern comunications system known as “the internet” which is an imprecise term for the downfall of American culture and moral standards which presents itself in the everyday mis-sue of terms such and gob and glob.

Shovelhead

imported post

http://www.jpfo.org/alerts/alert20061031.htm
[align=left]-----Costco Response-----[/align]
[align=left]From: Stephanie Bradley [mailto:sabradley@costco.com]
Sent: Monday, October 30, 2006 12:43 PM
To: Investor Relations
Subject: RE: Banning guns[/align]
[align=left]Dear Mr. xxx, [/align]
[align=left]This email is in response to your October 20, 2006 letter to our Investor Relations department, regarding Costco's "No Firearms" policy at its warehouse stores. [/align]
[align=left]As an initial matter, Costco is not a place of "public accommodation" within the meaning of civil rights laws. The definition of "public accommodation" does not include a bona fide private club or other establishment that is not in fact open to the public. Costco Wholesale is a membership-only warehouse club. It is not open to the general public. It restricts membership to a limited group of qualified individuals who agree to membership conditions. We have the right, and the obligation to our members, to enact and enforce membership rules. The Member Service Employees at the exit doors are obliged to follow these rules. By obtaining a Costco membership card, our members agree to comply with the Membership Rules and the Privileges and Conditions of membership.[/align]
[align=left]Costco does not believe that it is necessary for firearms to be brought into its warehouse stores, except in the case of authorized law enforcement officers. For the protection of all our members and employees, we feel this is a reasonable and prudent precaution to ensure a pleasant shopping experience and safe workplace. Our policy is meant to protect our members and employees in all warehouses around the world. This is not a new policy and we do not customize the policy for each individual city/county/state/country where we do business.The shopping experience is not enhanced by bringing a firearm into our warehouse. [/align]
[align=left]Our primary goal at Costco Wholesale is to keep our members happy. [/align]
[align=left]Sincerely, [/align]
[align=left]Stephanie Bradley
Executive Assistant to:
. . Joel Benoliel - SVP-Legal & Administration
. . Paul Latham - VP-Membership, Marketing & Services
sabradley@costco.com[/align]

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Shovelhead wrote: mary goal at Costco Wholesale is to keep our members happy.
http://www.jpfo.org/alerts/alert20061031.htm
[align=left]-
[/align]
[align=left]As an initial matter, Costco is not a place of "public accommodation" within the meaning of civil rights laws. The definition of "public accommodation" does not include a bona fide private club or other establishment that is not in fact open to the public. Costco Wholesale is a membership-only warehouse club. It is not open to the general public. It restricts membership to a limited group of qualified individuals who agree to membership conditions. We have the right, and the obligation to our members, to enact and enforce membership rules. The Member Service Employees at the exit doors are obliged to follow these rules. By obtaining a Costco membership card, our members agree to comply with the Membership Rules and the Privileges and Conditions of membership.[/align]
That's not altogether true.
Non Members can buy alcohol there. I suspect it has something to do with their ABC license.