• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Traveling from Arizona to Virginia

swoulter

imported post

I looked into a couple threads to try and figure out my best bet but I decided Ill get some input. Ill be traveling back from Phoenix back to Virginia where I am stationed and want to bring my pistol. However, I will be flying into Baltimore then traveling through DC(the two most gun friendly areas). I read that the Heller(?) lawallows me to travel through these areas as long as my final destination is a location I am legally allowed to have my weapon. I am just attempting to get some clarification on this because I read one thing that says no weapons in these area's and another that say its ok as long as your passing through.

And yes I know you cant have weapons on a military base, and no it is not going to be kept on a military base.

Thanks for any input

paramedic70002

imported post

You are guaranteed legal to travel with the firearm because of the federal Firearm Owners Protection Act that was passed a few years ago. You are constructively legal to carry the firearm out of the airport and secure it in a vehicle as proscribed by law (unloaded, cased, ammo separated) although if the wrong LEO is made aware of it you could get a real bad deal until you are finally vindicated (think jail, attorney $$$, etc.) If you do this, act like the legal upstanding citizen you are, and make sure NOBODY knows what you are doing that isn't required to know by law (TSA, airport check-in counter).

Alternatively, a local FFL could mail the weapon to a FFL near your final destination and you get to drive down unarmed.

Finally, I'm sure you'll get more eloquent and particular advice than I am capable of from others shortly.

architect

imported post

The FOPA (quoted below) should protect you as long as you follow its requirements, these are similar to the requirements for air travel. 'Heller' has nothing to do with the FOPA.

That said, Maryland is so rabidly anti-self-protection that state authorities have stated that they will arrest anyone in possession of a handgun no matter what the circumstances, and make the detainee prove compliance with FOPA and relevant state law.

It would help to know your exact destination in/route to VA. If you are driving from BWI to most of VA it is unlikely that you will pass through DC. If you are taking public transportation, e.g. a train, it's a different story. It may be difficult to comply with the mandates of the FOPA if you are traveling with your baggage in hand.

You are allowed to ship a firearm to yourself without going through an FFL. This may be your safest option.
TITLE 18 > PART I > CHAPTER 44 > §926A §926A. Interstate transportation of firearmsNotwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

t33j

imported post

architect wrote:
It would help to know your exact destination in/route to VA. If you are driving from BWI to most of VA it is unlikely that you will pass through DC.
If you're heading towards the Norfolk / Virginia Beach area, the Eastern Shore is a much more enjoyable ride if you don't mind paying a ~$3 toll.

paramedic70002

imported post

t33j wrote:
architect wrote:
It would help to know your exact destination in/route to VA. If you are driving from BWI to most of VA it is unlikely that you will pass through DC.
If you're heading towards the Norfolk / Virginia Beach area, the Eastern Shore is a much more enjoyable ride if you don't mind paying a ~$3 toll.
Last time I crossed the CBBT it cost a lot more than $3.

http://www.cbbt.com/schedule.html
Starts at $12 for a car then it goes up.

zoom6zoom

imported post

We have airports in Virginia, too. I'm not sure how much a savings flying into BWI would be, or if they are worth it considering the possibilities of them ignoring FOPA. OP didn't say where his final Virginia destination is...