Thread: VA. Open Carry LAWs

Post imported post

Am I mistaken or does the VA states law fail to define a revolver or any weapon that carry 6 or less rounds, as a firearm? If so, does that mean that you can carry a loaded revolver or semi-auto handgun?

Christopher

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

There is no Virginia open carry law - nada, no such thing!

Good place to start is:
    http://vaguninfo.com/pages/opencarry.htm

Suggest you familiarize yourself with the following code section. Virtually all firearms are covered by statute. Virginia Code 18.2

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Post imported post

Grapeshot wrote:

Good place to start is:

Suggest you familiarize yourself with the following code section. Virtually all firearms are covered by statute. Virginia Code 18.2

Yata hey
    YES

However, the firearms you mentioned are defined by VA law. That doesn't have a bearing on carry though.

illegal ≠ immoral legal ≠ moral
    [SIZE=1]"I never submitted the whole system of my opinions to the creed of any party of men whatever in religion, in philosophy, in politics, or in anything else where I was capable of thinking for myself. "Such an addiction is the last degradation of a free and moral agent." - Thomas Jefferson
    G19 Gen 4; Bersa Thunder 380; Sig Sauer P238; Kel-Tec su-16c

Post imported post

simmonsjoe wrote:
    Grapeshot wrote:

Good place to start is:

Yata hey
    YES

However, the firearms you mentioned are defined by VA law. That doesn't have a bearing on carry though.
    Simply suggesting that he read the code wherein many questions will be answered before they are asked.

Note that the questions asked are related to the false premise of the thread title: VA. Open Carry LAWs.

Further, we have the same situation as with OC not being illegal because it is not so restricted. Since there is nothing that says a gun cannot be loaded, you therefore can carry a loaded gun anywhere you can carry a gun.

Moreover, any gun, whether loaded or not, may be perceived and responded to in precisely the same way as if it were loaded - and I submit always should be.
    [line]Short version -

No OC statute, therefore OC legal.
    Firearms of all types/capacities adequately defined.
    Yes you can carry loaded pistol or revolver.

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Post imported post

bealaskan wrote:
    Am I mistaken or does the VA states law fail to define a revolver or any weapon that carry 6 or less rounds, as a firearm? If so, does that mean that you can carry a loaded revolver or semi-auto handgun?

Christophe
    M. For purposes of this section:
    "Handgun" means any pistol or revolver or other firearm, except a machine gun, originally designed, made and intended to fire a projectile by means of an explosion of a combustible material from one or more barrels when held in one hand.
    http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...0+cod+18.2-308

Yata hey