• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Assaulted at B&I

TechnoWeenie

imported post

Whats B&I?

Second, they have your tag, I'm betting any amount of money they're going to make up a story saying you pulled out your gun or threatened to pull your gun, which could very well lead to an arrest warrant.

Call the manager, demand an explanation for their actions, if you get anything less than a 'they're dumbasses, and I'm sorry', then call the police yourself, and file a complaint.

FURTHER, guards/armed guards are required to have their guards license at all times and must surrender it upon request BY ANYONE. If you're ever challenged again, DO SO. You'd be surprised how many unlicensed security guards there are...

Washington Revised Code RCW 18.170.070: License cards and certificates — Issuance and requirements.

(1) The director shall issue a private security guard license card to each licensed private security guard and an armed private security guard license card to each armed private security guard.

(...)

(b) A private security guard shall carry the license card whenever he or she is performing the duties of a private security guard and shall exhibit the card upon request.

(c) An armed private security guard shall carry the license card whenever he or she is performing the duties of an armed private security guard and shall exhibit the card upon request.

(...)

At the very least, it's simple assault.

If you delve into it, you may see coercion, unlawful imprisonment, and conspiracy to commit (if there was more than one actively attempting to detain)..

IANAL.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Thousand questions and suggestions, but I'll limit to a few biggies.

Did you call and report it - if not, I would immediately, except for maybe contacting an attorney first. Don't wait for LE to come knocking on your door late at night.

Would consider filling appropriate charges against these people and likely the store too.

I would post nothing further here (not even answers to my questions) until after speaking with council.

Yata hey

TechnoWeenie

imported post

I'd also suggest you remove your story...

The last part sounds like a taunt, a more appropriate response would be 'get off of me' or 'let me go'... I understand in the heat of the moment things can get rough though...

Lante

imported post

You are right about the license, HOWEVER, there is one very large loophole in this law. Only contract companies are required to license their officers. Private Security Guard is a misnomer...it refers to contract / multi employer security officers.

See below. So a true "Private security officer" rather than a "contract security officer" (to use the actual terms in real world use) does not need to be licensed by the state. If the security officer has a company name on their arm patch which is not the name of the store you are in, they are most likely contract. Otherwise it is a pretty good bet they are either "private / in house" security or some little fly by night unlicensed "building attendant" contractor without a license.

BTW I am a security manager who works with licensing regularly :)

RCW 18.170.020Exemptions.
The requirements of this chapter do not apply to:

(1) A person who is employed exclusively or regularly by one employer and performs the functions of a private security guard solely in connection with the affairs of that employer, if the employer is not a private security company;

tannerwaterbury

imported post

Man, the balls on those SG's. Don't they know that messing with a cornered animal will just have that animal bite them where it hurts? Good job on keeping your ground there, I know that it might of been tough trying to really keep your cool.

antispam540

imported post

sempercarry wrote:
could be....perhaps show up CCing, order food then sit down and take off coats. "you want our group to leave?....we arent together....I don't know any of these people."
Cool idea, but looks way too organized. You're not trying to shove it in their faces, just let them know that a lot of people carry during every-day business. That kind of thing will just piss them off and put them on the defensive.

amlevin

imported post

Isn't thee B&I Shopping Center kind of a Mini-Mall? When did they start employing armed security guards. If they do, I think that would make them the only one in the State. Somehow I don't see any "Paul Blart" Mall Security types with anything more than cuff's and maybe pepper spray.

Just wondering.

erps

imported post

They backed away and kinda motioned that they wouldn't go for their guns...like a half assed "hands up" position....hands at in front of their chests.
I think that's the universal sign for "don't shoot me".

sudden valley gunner

imported post

antispam540 wrote:
sempercarry wrote:
could be....perhaps show up CCing, order food then sit down and take off coats. "you want our group to leave?....we arent together....I don't know any of these people."
Cool idea, but looks way too organized. You're not trying to shove it in their faces, just let them know that a lot of people carry during every-day business. That kind of thing will just piss them off and put them on the defensive.

I don't have any problem with being organized. Especially when someone like these SG's does something incredibley stupic like this. If I was the manager of this mall I would fire two hot headed guys like this. Even if my policy wasn't to allow firearms. They are huge liabilities to the mall.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

NavyLT wrote:
sudden valley gunner wrote:
I don't have any problem with being organized. Especially when someone like these SG's does something incredibley stupic like this. If I was the manager of this mall I would fire two hot headed guys like this. Even if my policy wasn't to allow firearms. They are huge liabilities to the mall.
If their policy is to ban firearms, then wouldn't their security guards be in violation of that policy?
Yep but we see that hypocrisy all the time. Mayor Nickels and his armed posse comes to mind.