• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Assaulted at B&I

compmanio365

imported post

OK, seriously? B&I is the name of the shopping center on the big sign out front. It's an acronym, but also the name of the freaking place. Give the guy a break. I've never tried to OC in the B&I just because I know their policy, but CC every time I've gone in. Haven't gone in several years. Pretty shady place. I can't say you did anything wrong sempercarry, except I agree with everyone here in that I would have called the police. They attempted to unlawfully restrain you and very nearly escalated the situation to the level of deadly force.

amlevin

imported post

kwiebe wrote:
Mike wrote:
sempercarry wrote:
I hadn't been at B&I

Abbreviations should be spelled out first in posts, thanks.

"Rule 8: ... Use of abbreviations and acronyms should be minimized and always defined."
Bradshaw (Leo) & Irwin (Earl) - who opened the store in 1946.
And the sign merely says "B&I". This isan abbreviation or acronym, it is THE name of the shopping center, as it has been for over 60 years.

Just a side-note, they used to have a Gorilla in a cage in the basement. Big hubub over keeping him alone for years. Now HE could have handled security:celebrate

amzbrady

imported post

Mike wrote:
sempercarry wrote:
I hadn't been at B&I

"Rule 8: ... Use of abbreviations and acronyms should be minimized and always defined."
We should have a cheat sheet with all commonly used abbreviations. I'm going bald from sitting here scratching my head trying to figure some of these out.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

amzbrady wrote:
We should have a cheat sheet with all commonly used abbreviations
Not needed if people just follow rule 8 which s standard writing ettiquete anyway - this web site's archives are becoming the wikepedia of the gun rights world - make your posts count, accurate, concise, and all abbreviations spelled out.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

amzbrady wrote:
Mike wrote:
sempercarry wrote:
I hadn't been at B&I

We should have a cheat sheet with all commonly used abbreviations. I'm going bald from sitting here scratching my head trying to figure some of these out.
We did do such a thread a while back.
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_t...m_id=65&highlight=commonly+used+abbreviations

Yata hey

Trigger Dr

imported post

Mike, not being from this area you couldn't know that the name of the store is in fact B&I. It is not an acronym:)

sudden valley gunner

imported post

I wasn't the only trying to figure out what B&I was. And I am from Washington. It would have been nice to have clarity. If it's the name of the place, say something like, I went to the B&I mall.

No big deal but there was some confusion for awhile.

Trigger Dr

imported post

What are the thoughts of listing the places on the DNP and distribute a copy to the businesses listed?

911Boss

Gone... Nutty as squirrel **** around here
imported post

While I can understand the concern, "B&I" is the name of the place, not an abbreviation or an acronym, just like there used to be "A&P" grocery stores.

While it isn't a chain, it is a NW icon, thanks in part to Ivan te gorilla who was used as a novelty. Folks over 40 who have roots in the area likely recognize it, while imports may not, especially if they haven't spent time in the Tacoma area.

911Boss

Gone... Nutty as squirrel **** around here
imported post

NavyLT wrote:
Heck, the first time I saw a QFC, I thought maybe it was a special version of KFC for gay follks! No offense intended, but I was scratching my head until I figured out it was the grocery store.
I was going to use QFC as an example, but I figured someone would point out that it there logo also includes "Quality Food Centers" and call it an abbreviation as well...

ak56

Campaign Veteran
imported post

911Boss wrote:
While I can understand the concern, "B&I" is the name of the place, not an abbreviation or an acronym, just like there used to be "A&P" grocery stores.

While it isn't a chain, it is a NW icon, thanks in part to Ivan te gorilla who was used as a novelty. Folks over 40 who have roots in the area likely recognize it, while imports may not, especially if they haven't spent time in the Tacoma area.

A&P is actually an abbreviation: The Great Atlantic & Pacific Tea Company Inc. (A&P)

But B&I is just B&I, especially to us true locals. Haven't been there in years, not since before Ivan the gorilla left.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

This site isn't just for locals. I visit other state sites all the time and it is good to get clarification on what someone is talking about.

Have you heard back from the manager yet?

erps

imported post

I ripped my arm away and put my hand on my gun and said "stop me!".
Just curious. Where you ready to use deadly force to prevent an unlawful detention?

joeroket

imported post

NavyLT wrote:
Heck, the first time I saw a QFC, I thought maybe it was a special version of KFC for gay follks! No offense intended, but I was scratching my head until I figured out it was the grocery store.
I think I piddled after reading this.

Ajetpilot

imported post

erps wrote:
Just curious. Where you ready to use deadly force to prevent an unlawful detention?

Perhaps he was defending himself against a classC felony:

RCW 9A.40.040 Unlawful Imprisonment. (1) A person is guilty of unlawful imprisonment if he knowingly restrains another person.

(2) Unlawful imprisonment is a class C felony.

Definition of "Restrain" RCW 9A.40.010 :

(1) "Restrain" means to restrict a person's movements without consent and without legal authority in a manner which interferes substantially with his liberty. Restraint is "without consent" if it is accomplished by (a) physical force, intimidation, or deception, or (b) any means including acquiescence of the victim, if he is a child less than sixteen years old or an incompetent person and if the parent, guardian, or other person or institution having lawful control or custody of him has not acquiesced.

massivedesign

imported post

erps wrote:
I ripped my arm away and put my hand on my gun and said "stop me!".

That's a pretty loaded question (all puns intended)..

If the security guards are not armed, then it is likely that they would then use your own gun to continue to try and detain you.. Not knowing the guards knowledge on my specific firearm, and the probable fact that the barrel would be pointed towards me, I would be in fear of my life, without question. If the guard was armed, then most likely his gun would already be pointed at me, in which I would comply completely, then sue his ass off.

I wouldn't be concerned with the detention aspect rather than my own weapon being pointed at me by a person probably not qualified with a weapon.

Drawing your firearm means you know that you might have to shoot, but having a firearm drawn is also used as a served warning that you are not agreeing with the actions that are being brought against you. The guard then gets to make a personal choice.. fight or flee..