• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Cheap mags?

office888

imported post

Unfortunately with magazines, you usually get what you pay for.

Ensure reliable function of a magazine before carrying. Most weapon failures are magazine related.

-Richard-

PS: Clips =/= Magazines. THANKS.

Michigander

imported post

I don't know you obviously, but I assume your life is worth more than the 5-20 dollars you might "save" by getting cheap magazines.

Get factory magazines, or high quality after market stuff that experts with your particular gun recommend. That goes for ANY gun.

Michigander

imported post

I don't suggest doing that. You can drop a mag in and out over and over without causing any real trouble if it's a good one. Just drop them onto a soft surface with a minimal distance to fall, and of course keep them empty.

Also, it seems to me like a very bad idea to have malfunctions at the range that you write off as being mag related and no big deal. I want my carry gun to work 100% of the time if I'm going to trust my life to it.

Also, if you only have one good magazine, you need to get at least one more good one. You should carry at least one reload. Even in a double stacked platform I'd want 2 more magazines on my belt if it was my only gun I had with me.

okboomer

imported post

You can also buy covers for the bottom of most magazines ... see the Kimber in my avatar ... these help when practicing tactical reloading over a hard surface.

And I have to disagree with Office888 - magazines are NOT the same as clips ... clips comes from 'Stripper Clips' which you would load with bullets, then plunge the bullets into the empty magazine through the open ejection port on rifles.

These are for my Auto Ordinance and my Rockola http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/catalog1/index.php/cName/stripper-clips

I also have them for the SKS and the Springfield M14 ...

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

okboomer wrote:
snip...
And I have to disagree with Office888 - magazines are NOT the same as clips ... clips comes from 'Stripper Clips' which you would load with bullets, then plunge the bullets into the empty magazine through the open ejection port on rifles.
From where does this come? Don't get the connection.

Neither Office888 nor clips are mentioned in this thread.

Yata hey

Alexcabbie

imported post

You can usually find reasonably-priced quality magazines at one of th many travelling gunshows. Steer clear of "rummage in the box" deals, though. And steer clear also of those "bargain" bags of reloaded ammo. One shot may fail to cycle the action and the next might blow up your weapon. Gun-show reloads are the nearest legal thing to Russian Roulette, IMO.

rmansu2

imported post

okboomer wrote:
+1

I was going to make the same comment until I read a little further.