• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Federal Judge Rules Concealed Carry is Probaable Cause of Criminal Activity

aquinob1

nova

imported post

Their (GA) law is written differently from ours (VA). Theirs is written that having a carry permit is a defense for the crime of carrying a concealed weapon. Here, having a concealed handgun permit exempts you from part of that law (handguns, not weapons) to begin with. At least that's how I understand it from my short time reading up on the situation down there.

IrishOzwald

imported post

O.C.G.A. § 16-11-125
Burden of proof as to exemptions
In any complaint, accusation, or indictment and in any action or proceeding brought for the enforcement of this part it shall not be necessary to negative any exception, excuse, proviso, or exemption contained in this part, and the burden of proof of any such exception, excuse, proviso, or exemption shall be upon the defendant.

The judge must have based his ruling on the above statute. With this wording, it gives the MARTA cops 'probable cause'.; however, while this justified them to do an investigation, that investigation should have ended when the man provided his ID and conceal carry license.
At first, I was convinced that these cops did not have probable cause based on the 4th Amendment and precedence set by "Delware v. Prouse" but the crime of "operating a motor vehicle" does not have this provision in its statute. (I couldn't kind it)
This provision will have to be removed or dramatically restructured, otherwise any police officer can stop you to ensure you have a carry license.

aadvark

imported post

16-11-125 is an affirmative Defense only to Georgia Laws 16-11-121 through 16-11-124, as they pertain to so called 'Dangerous Weapons'

A 'Dangerous Weapon(s)' is any Firearm regulated under Federal Law requireing to registered under such.Namely: Machine Guns, Sawed-off Shotguns, Sawed-off Rifles, and Silencers.

16-11-125 has all of the same exceptions as are listed under Federal Law pertaining to the ownership and possesion of so-called 'Dangerous Weapons'.

16-11-126 through 16-11-129 have their own exception under Georgia Law. That Code Section is 16-11-130, and it does not apply to the average Citizen.

IrishOzwald

imported post

My mistake-- I was reading the code on Georgia Packing, which I did not see the Statutes 'Part' separating the two groups. On LexisNexis, I see what you're referring to.

Where did the judge site the probable cause from in Georgia Law? I've read through the exemptions, but they are exemptions from having a license, not burdon of exemptions.