• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

All for OC...but

rtrouten

imported post

My wife doesn't agree with me OC, she thinks it draws attention nobody really needs. I disagree with her, and think that OC is a better option to carry. Then I have been thinking, I see nobody in my area (Fort Wayne) OC.

Why is that?

BGordon42

Formerly St. Louis, MI, now New Haven, Indiana, US
imported post

On an everyday basis, I am not sure why there aren't more. However, Saturday morning, a group of approximately 35+ OC'ers gathered at one of the Golden Corrals for breakfast before heading out to the gun show at the Coliseum. Maybe if the area had more meet and greet type get togethers, we would see people OC'ing more.

JBURGII

imported post

The number of OCers is not so large at the moment as to be called common. I OC every day in my state (Oregon) and have only seen a couple of folks in the last 1.5 yrs of carry. Mostly at organized OC events.

My g/f is not what I would call an anti, but she is not fond of OC. I think based on the one instance where I was asked to leave a grocery store (the store was polite and didn't kick me out, just "Please remove the weapon.") she does not like the embarassment of that kind of contact. I give her credit though, after time she gets used to it (to a certain extent). I just wear it and make no big show of doing so. It is like another thing I put on with my boots, belt and pocket knife.

I use stories and anecdotal info from this site a lot in defining my actions and justifying my position on self defense and making use of my rights on a daily basis.

Rev. Jim

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

My guess would be that most people in your area, as in any other, don't know that OC is legal. Since the government isn't going to publicise that fact, it's going to be up to gun carriers to educate the public... and each other.

Where I live a permit isrequired to OC/CC as in your state. In my county, 1 in 14 residents over 21 yoa have a HCP, but very few OC. I've only seen about 3 of us OC. I've never been hassled by the local sheriff's deputy's and local business people don't have a problem with it either.

Taking from Nike's ad's, "Just do it"

BGordon42

Formerly St. Louis, MI, now New Haven, Indiana, US
imported post

Task Force 16:

LEOs in Fort Wayne are aware that OC is legal, however Ofc. Joyner, who is a spokeman for FWPD, in his answer to a question posted on the FWPD blog has stated in no uncertain terms that if FW officers are aware that someone is OCing, they will stop and question that person.

Just an FYI.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

BGordon42 wrote:
Task Force 16:

LEOs in Fort Wayne are aware that OC is legal, however Ofc. Joyner, who is a spokeman for FWPD, in his answer to a question posted on the FWPD blog has stated in no uncertain terms that if FW officers are aware that someone is OCing, they will stop and question that person.

Just an FYI.

Stopping and questioning you the first time an officer sees you, to make sure you have a permit, is one thing. If the same officers keep stopping you every time they see you, that's harrassment and can be delt with through the courts.

Harrassment is intended to persuade you to stop doing something you have a right to do. You can't buckle to such tactics.

rtrouten

imported post

makes sense, I never had a permit to carry until this past year, I didn't want one to cause trouble, I wanted one to protect my family from this crazy world the best I can

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

rtrouten wrote:
side note...your from Tenn. and you follow FWPD?

TN and IN have similar carry laws, in that both require a carry permit to CC and OC. Both are shall issue states. I don't think IN requires a handgun safety course prior to applying for the permit, TN does.

I started carrying about a year ago this past Sept. I expected to be checked for a permit the first time a LEO saw me with a gun on my side. So far, it hasn't happened. There's been plenty of opportunity as I come in contact, in passing,withSDor SPabout once or twice a week. I sometimes get asked what kind of pistol I'm carrying, which normally turns into a conversation about guns, IF they say anything to me at all.

I'm beginning to feel like I've been scammed into paying for the HCP. :X

It's very rural here where I live. Maybe, the sight of someone packing a gun just isn't a big deal to folks here. That may not be the case where you live. Can't get your neighbors use to OC unless they see it more.

rtrouten

imported post

ok, so I am really knew to this. what is leo? I ask because leo is a town just outside fort wayne, and that is what I thought you meant at first. sorry for confusion and I am thankful for all the help.:?

WCrawford

imported post

rtrouten wrote:
ok, so I am really knew to this. what is leo? I ask because leo is a town just outside fort wayne, and that is what I thought you meant at first. sorry for confusion and I am thankful for all the help.:?
Generally, when it is all caps, like LEO, it is the acronym for Law Enforcement Officer. It covers local, state and federal persons with police powers.

rtrouten

imported post

I let this consume today and why I was running it dawned on me what it meant... thanks for the reply