• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

We lock up collecrors in th UK

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Smokeless Coal wrote:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/6905852/Pensioner-jailed-for-hoarding-Aladdins-cave-of-firearms.html

71 year old with a firearm certificate locked up for 5 years because he had a couple of naughty things.

No threat to anyone, no harm done just because he does not fit in with what our dictators want
With all respect, sir, having 50 guns is a lot more than a couple.

We do not advocate (on OCDO) breaking the law for personal benefit/reasons. What is desirable is that the laws be changed - to do otherwise is to proceed at your own peril.

In this case, it would appear that even the judge does not want to have to deal with this man harshly.

BTW - I do sympathize.

Yata hey

Smokeless Coal

imported post

3 counts of shortened shotguns

3 counts of pistols

So most of his collection was legal.

He was just a collector.

At 71 he probably was incapable of mounting a succesful defence.

Its rare for burglars to be jailed over here because the courts are under instruction to only lock up the most violent. Locking up this old boy serves no real purpose, it's hardly likely to be a deterent to himto spend time in jail (I think is why you call prisons correctional fascilities). Deterent to others perhaps? to not have an interest in collecting guns, it certainly wont deter hardened criminals.

Can understand not to advocate breaking laws. But this is just intended to show how bad things can get if an oppressive government gets their way.

Things are so bad here that a well respected blogger lost his firearm certicate just for saying that police women might find smaller pistols suit them better.