• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

open carry with me?

thinbluelines&w40ve

imported post

I'm a Marine in Jacksonville and I was wondering if any local OC'ers would like to meet up and go around town together. I'm still getting used to OC'ing here and my main concern isn't dealing with LEO's...It's dealing with Senior enlisted Marines or Officers. lol So let me know!!!

Dreamer

imported post

Well, here's the problem with that...

As an active-duty service member, you are essentially no longer a "citizen", and therefore the Constitution and State law doesn't really apply to you anymore. You are property of the US Government, and must abide by a COMPLETELY different set of rules and regulations (Primarily, the CMJ and CFR).

The fact is, there are a LOT of things that "citizens" can lawfully and legally do that your CO's might consider "conduct unbecoming", and for which they could sanction you.

And since the JPD seems to have a major burr in it's saddle for our fine men and women in uniform, the chances of a "non-incident" becoming an "incident" just because you have a military ID are relatively high, unless you have plenty of witnesses, and Law Abiding Citizens standing around you to come to your defense. So asking for "citizens" to go on OC expeditions with you is VERY wise, and should help keep things cool with the local LEO's...

Many LEA's have MAJOR inferiority complexes when it comes to the real military, and the way this often manifests is in harassment, overzealous persecution, and intimidation. The fact that there are always a few knuckleheads in the Armed Forces who actually DO go out with the intent to cause trouble when they are off-base blowing off steam only adds fuel to this situation.

It's a sad state of affairs, but the truth of the matter is that you are not protected by the very laws and documents your oath binds you to uphold...

If I get down that way inthe near future, I'll be sure to let you know, and maybe we could get together. There are a few other folks down that way that might volunteer as well.

Good luck, and keep your eyes open...

thinbluelines&w40ve

imported post

yeah i figured all of that. it's sad that we can't excersize the very rights that we swore to defend without getting hassled. And the fact that i'ma trainedmilitary policemen only adds fuel to the fire with JPD. All I can say is thank goodness my five years will be over this august so I can be my own man again.

SPRINGFIELD_45_ACP

imported post

thinbluelines&w40ve wrote:
I'm a Marine in Jacksonville and I was wondering if any local OC'ers would like to meet up and go around town together. I'm still getting used to OC'ing here and my main concern isn't dealing with LEO's...It's dealing with Senior enlisted Marines or Officers. lol So let me know!!!
Hello I would like to OC around town & lets see what happens...If interested let me k now & we can get together.... BTW i am a local civilian....

CarryOpen

imported post

Another Jville local here, I am willing to meet up and do something, if there's something to be done. Don't want to just troll the city, but I'm definitely up for going out.

Kaliga

imported post

I am a Marine stationed at Lejeune and I OC in J-ville all the time. I am currently on leave. Maybe we'll catch up with each other when I get back.