• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What not to say after a shooting

nobucks

imported post

I just caught this in Thursday's paper. It happened in Detroit. Granted, the guy has style, but he should have kept his mouth shut. He should let Schwarzenegger and Eastwood handle the one-liners, and remember that this is real life, not a movie. Ditto for the moron criminal. They should split the Darwin Award for this one.

Edit: I just saw that this was posted in the Michigan section, but maybe you don't check the Michigan section.

Man fatally shoots burglary suspect

http://www.miningjournal.net/page/content.detail/id/98545.html?isap=1&nav=5014

DETROIT (AP) — Authorities said a Detroit man whose home was broken into three times in the last week fatally shot an unarmed burglary suspect who verbally provoked him.

Thirty-one-year-old Tigh Croff was arraigned Wednesday on charges of second-degree murder and using a firearm in a felony. A magistrate set his bond at $40,000 and scheduled a preliminary examination Jan. 11.

Police said Croff began chasing two men he found in his backyard at 12:30 a.m. Monday.

The Detroit television and radio stations reported one man escaped, but that 53-year-old Herbert Silas of Detroit turned around, raised his hands and said to the licensed gun-carrier: ‘‘What are you going to do, shoot me?’’

Reports state Croff replied ‘‘absolutely’’ and fired.

okboomer

imported post

weeeeellll, we are talking Detroit, here ... massive unemployment, almost total breakdown of society, overworked, underpaid, high-risk LEO ... Obama's $$ getting hung up in the politician's pockets and not getting to the welfare mommas, so the drug addicts are having to supplement their drug money with B&E.

Where's Acorn and SEIU when you need them? {heavy sarcasm}

Streetbikerr6

imported post

Yikes. I would hate to have been robbed 3 times in the past week and have to be put in that situation, still I would have put a knee in the back of his neck and waited for the police.

tekshogun

Founder's Club Member

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

Would someone really be that stupid? I guess so.

or did the perp come at the shooter agressively when he turned,and force the guy to shoot him, and the cops stated something otherwise to be able to nail this guy?

I bet his story gets recanted

Judge.410

imported post

This is so sad....I really think people are fed up with crime all across the country. What do we really expect when there is no teeth in the Law and criminals are set free to strike again......3 times, come on, and it may not have even been the same guy that he shot....lets face it for what it is........people are sick and tried of it....the bad guys take a chance every time...armed or not.....check out the off duty deputy story in N.C.......Out of character for the young man......what would you do.... I know what I would have done. Cocked and Locked

Streetbikerr6

imported post

Soilent Green wrote:
This is so sad....I really think people are fed up with crime all across the country. What do we really expect when there is no teeth in the Law and criminals are set free to strike again......3 times, come on, and it may not have even been the same guy that he shot....lets face it for what it is........people are sick and tried of it....the bad guys take a chance every time...armed or not.....check out the off duty deputy story in N.C.......Out of character for the young man......what would you do.... I know what I would have done. Cocked and Locked

Yes but the law is the law. The man robbed then ran away... it does not matter how far or long he ran.. he was no longer a threat. You can not justify that killing. If you can justify that then you could just as easily justify killing an 80 yr old man for a robbery he committed when he was 19. Though that is why we have manslaughter... a lesser conviction since it was in the heat of the moment.

Though look at Texas. Pretty much "fuk with the bull and get the horns...even running away". If I were a robber I sure as hell would not want to live in Texas.

45acpForMe

imported post

Streetbikerr6 wrote:
Though look at Texas. Pretty much "fuk with the bull and get the horns...even running away". If I were a robber I sure as hell would not want to live in Texas.
We should be making our state laws more like Texas'!

Look at it this way. Say my car is sitting in my driveway, people come to steal it. I can sit inside my house on the phone to 911 and wait a couple hours fora police officer to come and take down my report or go outside and place myself in mortal danger trying to stop them from stealing the car. I can't shoot unless I fear for my life but I have now become part of the confrontation. So as I read it I need to retreat and they need to pursue before I could use lethal force.

The country would be a lot better off if people could defend their property with lethal force as well as their lives. Less dirtbags and a STRONG deterrant to crime. I think most criminals don't fear jail anymore, they look at it as 3 meals a day and plenty of time to workout. That is why they fear an armed citizen more than a police officer because they can use the system/rules to their advantage and know the police officer "probably" isn't going to shoot them.

Streetbikerr6

imported post

45acpForMe wrote:
Streetbikerr6 wrote:

Look at it this way. Say my car is sitting in my driveway, people come to steal it. I can sit inside my house on the phone to 911 and wait a couple hours fora police officer to come and take down my report or go outside and place myself in mortal danger trying to stop them from stealing the car. I can't shoot unless I fear for my life but I have now become part of the confrontation. So as I read it I need to retreat and they need to pursue before I could use lethal force.

The country would be a lot better off if people could defend their property with lethal force as well as their lives. Less dirtbags and a STRONG deterrant to crime. I think most criminals don't fear jail anymore, they look at it as 3 meals a day and plenty of time to workout. That is why they fear an armed citizen more than a police officer because they can use the system/rules to their advantage and know the police officer "probably" isn't going to shoot them.
Yes, my point exactly. The biggest criminal deterrent isn't cops... its the guns the cops bring, why wait? Just weird Texas seems anti-gun too sometimes though, what with the gun free military base Ft. Hoodthat let that terrorist kill tons a couple months ago. Notice Obama did a great job at keeping that muslim jihad keep under hush just long enough for it to become yesterdays news. Great point about the prison time by the way, never thought of it that way.

tekshogun

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Streetbikerr6 wrote:
45acpForMe wrote:
Streetbikerr6 wrote:

Yes, my point exactly. The biggest criminal deterrent isn't cops... its the guns the cops bring, why wait? Just weird Texas seems anti-gun too sometimes though, what with the gun free military base Ft. Hoodthat let that terrorist kill tons a couple months ago. Notice Obama did a great job at keeping that muslim jihad keep under hush just long enough for it to become yesterdays news. Great point about the prison time by the way, never thought of it that way.

I'll have to agree and give a collective Amen to the both of you.

You don't stop attack with words, you stop it with deterrence, or force if it comes to that.

Judge.410

imported post

Exodus 22-2 If a thief be found breaking up, and be smitten that he die,there shall no blood be shed for him.

vegasche1023

imported post

Streetbikerr6 wrote:
45acpForMe wrote:
Streetbikerr6 wrote:

Look at it this way.  Say my car is sitting in my driveway, people come to steal it.  I can sit inside my house on the phone to 911 and wait a couple hours for a police officer to come and take down my report or go outside and place myself in mortal danger trying to stop them from stealing the car.  I can't shoot unless I fear for my life but I have now become part of the confrontation.  So as I read it I need to retreat and they need to pursue before I could use lethal force.

The country would be a lot better off if people could defend their property with lethal force as well as their lives.   Less dirtbags and a STRONG deterrant to crime.   I think most criminals don't fear jail anymore, they look at it as 3 meals a day and plenty of time to workout.  That is why they fear an armed citizen more than a police officer because they can use the system/rules to their advantage and know the police officer "probably" isn't going to shoot them.
Yes, my point exactly. The biggest criminal deterrent isn't cops... its the guns the cops bring, why wait? Just weird Texas seems anti-gun too sometimes though, what with the gun free military base Ft. Hood that let that terrorist kill tons a couple months ago. Notice Obama did a great job at keeping that muslim jihad keep under hush just long enough for it to become yesterdays news.  Great point about the prison time by the way, never thought of it that way.

It's not Texas law. It's military law that states only military police can carry guns on base.

tekshogun

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Soilent Green wrote:
Exodus 22-2         If a thief be found breaking up, and be smitten that he die,there shall no blood be shed for him.

Can we turn them into soylent green and feed them to prisoners?

"SOYLENT GREEN IS PEOPLE!"

CommonMan101

imported post

tekshogun wrote:
That was just dumb.

Good video of the story here:

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dpp/news/local/detroit-man-fatally-shoots-burglary-suspect

I doubt this guy will get off. It seems, if what was stated in the news is what happened, and if he in fact told the police that is what transpired (the conversatin between he and Silas, then it is a case of what you're not supposed to do. Most of us don't live in Texas.

That's murder in Texas too.

But thanks forone example ofbigotry towards Texas thatkeeps fueling the myth about being "wild with guns" and "anything goes"- ever alive andkicking. That always helps everyone's cause here. :quirky

CommonMan101

imported post

Soilent Green wrote:
Exodus 22-2 If a thief be found breaking up, and be smitten that he die,there shall no blood be shed for him.

If you read closer you can see that it is about unintentional death.

You can get your smite on without killing, God's just got ya covered if it just so happenswhilst you're smiting him the heck out of your place.

This guykilled a non-fighter who gave up.

If he really did say that to the guy he shot and then repeat it into the police report like he thought it was righteousthen I'm going to vote in the jury room that he doesn't get to make those decisions anymore. JMO - based on limited facts presented.

Did the story ever say they took somethin that night? Looks like they were only on the yard so far - not in his house.Never a good shoot in Texas unless they were more aggressive than this. - Violence, valuable items bobbing off into the dark of the night, etc.

45acpForMe

imported post

CommonMan101 wrote:
Soilent Green wrote:
If you read closer you can see that it is about unintentional death.
:
This guykilled a non-fighter who gave up.
Yes I agree that this BG seemingly gave up and shouldn't have been shot. I just think you keep shooting UNTIL he gives up. That means if he is running away, we should be allowed to keep shooting. Maybe for only violent crime we should be allowed to keep shooting but then again it would be deterrence for most theives if they knew they would be pursued by bullets.

Just like the law (should depending on your state) protects someone from criminal prosecution if you are defending yourself and one of your bullets hits an innocent. The criminal is charged with that death because their crime was the cause of the confrontation. So if someone initiates a crime/confrontation we should be protected from any criminal (and civil) liability. As someone mentioned above, you f__k with the bull, you get the horns, your own darn fault.

If he stops and sits nicely until police show up he just won the "life/death" lottery.