• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What not to say after a shooting

tekshogun

Founder's Club Member
imported post

CommonMan101 wrote:

tekshogun wrote:
That was just dumb.

Good video of the story here:

CommonMan101 wrote:
tekshogun wrote:
That was just dumb.

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dpp/news/local/detroit-man-fatally-shoots-burglary-suspect

I doubt this guy will get off. It seems, if what was stated in the news is what happened, and if he in fact told the police that is what transpired (the conversatin between he and Silas, then it is a case of what you're not supposed to do. Most of us don't live in Texas.

That's murder in Texas too.

But thanks forone example ofbigotry towards Texas thatkeeps fueling the myth about being "wild with guns" and "anything goes"- ever alive andkicking. That always helps everyone's cause here. :quirky
Excuseme if I'vemaimed Texas' image. That was not my intent and I apologize, however, it was a bit of a reference to apersonof Pasedena who shot two people in the back (in November of 2007) that were runningaway. He was exonerated by a grand jury. I am not arguing ifhis actionswere morally right or wrong but it was murder.A group of peoplejustified it for him. This person, in Detroit, well, we'll see.

Streetbikerr6

imported post

tekshogun wrote:
CommonMan101 wrote:

tekshogun wrote:
That was just dumb.

CommonMan101 wrote:
tekshogun wrote:
That was just dumb.

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dpp/news/local/detroit-man-fatally-shoots-burglary-suspect

I doubt this guy will get off. It seems, if what was stated in the news is what happened, and if he in fact told the police that is what transpired (the conversatin between he and Silas, then it is a case of what you're not supposed to do. Most of us don't live in Texas.

But thanks forone example ofbigotry towards Texas thatkeeps fueling the myth about being "wild with guns" and "anything goes"- ever alive andkicking. That always helps everyone's cause here. :quirky
Excuseme if I'vemaimed Texas' image. That was not my intent and I apologize, however, it was a bit of a reference to apersonof Pasedena who shot two people in the back (in November of 2007) that were runningaway. He was exonerated by a grand jury. I am not arguing ifhis actionswere morally right or wrong but it was murder.A group of peoplejustified it for him. This person, in Detroit, well, we'll see.

Yes here is the phone call of the ordeal by the way..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPuM_XAo2BE

I thought everyone that lived in Texas knew about this man? At least anyone that owned a gun in Texas.

CommonMan101

imported post

tekshogun wrote:
CommonMan101 wrote:

tekshogun wrote:
That was just dumb.

CommonMan101 wrote:
tekshogun wrote:
That was just dumb.

No problem!

Was just trying to point out how easy it is to keep myths going. Your wordsimplied a picture that's not really true about Tx.

And as far as Mr Horne goes - his situation was that the perps were taking off with a neighbor'sstolen items in the night - they were in the middle of committing a crime at night. They refused to drop the items and stop. Those particulars are what made it a goodshoot. He was NOT just shooting someone that was only trespassing and had already left the property like this story. So no real parallel - just a simular sounding one. If you can't shoot them in the back likeHorne's scene then you can't shoot them at all when they are stealing your valuables and taking off inyour car too!

Calling Horne's scenario murder is a personal opinion anyone can have but the good people of Texas draw the line a little closer than others on this point. It is probably the difference that some states don't allow deadly force against theft of property that leads some tocall itmurder. (BTW calling it murder IS arguing that it's morally wrong) In the UK if you shoot, stab or cluba life threatening intruder in your house you get prosecuted for defending yourself with a deadly weapon. Something most of us would find absurd.

Viva La Difference' !! I say pick where you live according to what laws you agree with if you can't get any traction to change them to the way you want. Being born in Texas and having lived in 3 other states before moving back, I will move to an open-carry state if it looks like it will never happen here - I'm in the last part of my life so this choice will come within 10 years. But I will NEVER live in the UK or any other namby-pamby nanny police-state. Heck the way things are today I don't even want to visit a country I have to be dis-armed so I guess I'll staywithin the U.S. bordersforever.

When I was a kid Mexico was a lively, colorful place to go. I'll never set foot in it again. Scares the living daylights outta me what's going on down there now.

We haveless gunfreedoms in Texas compared to most other states. We're actually closer to Illinois and NY than states like AZ and LA and way far away from the likes of VT and AK. We are no wild west like we get portrayed so often. A lot of people are made into felons here thinking anything they want to do with a gun is OK. It's actually pretty tight here.

tekshogun

Founder's Club Member
imported post

CommonMan101 wrote:
No problem!

Was just trying to point out how easy it is to keep myths going. Your words implied a picture that's not really true about Tx.

And as far as Mr Horne goes - his situation was that the perps were taking off with a neighbor's stolen items in the night - they were in the middle of committing a crime at night. They refused to drop the items and stop. Those particulars are what made it a good shoot. He was NOT just shooting someone that was only trespassing and had already left the property like this story. So no real parallel - just a simular sounding one. If you can't shoot them in the back like Horne's scene then you can't shoot them at all when they are stealing your valuables and taking off in your car too!

Calling Horne's scenario murder is a personal opinion anyone can have but the good people of Texas draw the line a little closer than others on this point. It is probably the difference that some states don't allow deadly force against theft of property that leads some to call it murder. (BTW calling it murder IS arguing that it's morally wrong) In the UK if you shoot, stab or club a life threatening intruder in your house you get prosecuted for defending yourself with a deadly weapon. Something most of us would find absurd.

Viva La Difference' !! I say pick where you live according to what laws you agree with if you can't get any traction to change them to the way you want. Being born in Texas and having lived in 3 other states before moving back, I will move to an open-carry state if it looks like it will never happen here - I'm in the last part of my life so this choice will come within 10 years. But I will NEVER live in the UK or any other namby-pamby nanny police-state. Heck the way things are today I don't even want to visit a country I have to be dis-armed so I guess I'll stay within the U.S. borders forever.

When I was a kid Mexico was a lively, colorful place to go. I'll never set foot in it again. Scares the living daylights outta me what's going on down there now.

We have less gun freedoms in Texas compared to most other states. We're actually closer to Illinois and NY than states like AZ and LA and way far away from the likes of VT and AK. We are no wild west like we get portrayed so often. A lot of people are made into felons here thinking anything they want to do with a gun is OK. It's actually pretty tight here. 

I hear what you are saying. The crime was committed during the day, at 2 p.m. unless it gets dark that early, even for November, in Texas.

I agree, live where you like the laws. Honestly, Kentucky or Vermont would be great for me, but I hate the weather and it is too far from the coast. I like North Carolina just fine. Yes, the UK sucks. A recent European Union report on crime showed that the UK violent-crime, based on percentages of population, is something like 4 to 4.5 times higher than that of the United States of America. They think we're the cowboys? Yeah, I'd rather take my chances over here then have a high chance of being gang-raped by a bunch of closet homosexual neo-nazis, blungeoned to death, or stabbed to death, or possibly shot by a gangster in the presence of a cop that isn't even armed. No bloody thank you.

Texas may have some crazy gun laws, I don't know, but I can assure you its far better than California. Those people have it BAD. As for Mexico, man, that's the drug trade, it has gotten out of control. That is for another discussion as the War on Drugs is not exactly winnable. The reason there are violent drug cartels is because a market for their skills and product has been pushed in the "light of the black market." I'll just leave that alone.

CommonMan101

imported post

tekshogun wrote:
CommonMan101 wrote:
No problem!

Was just trying to point out how easy it is to keep myths going. Your wordsimplied a picture that's not really true about Tx.

And as far as Mr Horne goes - his situation was that the perps were taking off with a neighbor'sstolen items in the night - they were in the middle of committing a crime at night. They refused to drop the items and stop. Those particulars are what made it a goodshoot. He was NOT just shooting someone that was only trespassing and had already left the property like this story. So no real parallel - just a simular sounding one. If you can't shoot them in the back likeHorne's scene then you can't shoot them at all when they are stealing your valuables and taking off inyour car too!

Calling Horne's scenario murder is a personal opinion anyone can have but the good people of Texas draw the line a little closer than others on this point. It is probably the difference that some states don't allow deadly force against theft of property that leads some tocall itmurder. (BTW calling it murder IS arguing that it's morally wrong) In the UK if you shoot, stab or cluba life threatening intruder in your house you get prosecuted for defending yourself with a deadly weapon. Something most of us would find absurd.

Viva La Difference' !! I say pick where you live according to what laws you agree with if you can't get any traction to change them to the way you want. Being born in Texas and having lived in 3 other states before moving back, I will move to an open-carry state if it looks like it will never happen here - I'm in the last part of my life so this choice will come within 10 years. But I will NEVER live in the UK or any other namby-pamby nanny police-state. Heck the way things are today I don't even want to visit a country I have to be dis-armed so I guess I'll staywithin the U.S. bordersforever.

We haveless gunfreedoms in Texas compared to most other states. We're actually closer to Illinois and NY than states like AZ and LA and way far away from the likes of VT and AK. We are no wild west like we get portrayed so often. A lot of people are made into felons here thinking anything they want to do with a gun is OK. It's actually pretty tight here.

I hear what you are saying. The crime was committed during the day, at 2 p.m. unless it gets dark that early, even for November, in Texas.

I agree, live where you like the laws. Honestly, Kentucky or Vermont would be great for me, but I hate the weather and it is too far from the coast. I like North Carolina just fine. Yes, the UK sucks. A recent European Union report on crime showed that the UK violent-crime, based on percentages of population, is something like 4 to 4.5 times higher than that of the United States of America. They think we're the cowboys? Yeah, I'd rather take my chances over here then have a high chance of being gang-raped by a bunch of closet homosexual neo-nazis, blungeoned to death, or stabbed to death, or possibly shot by a gangster in the presence of a cop that isn't even armed. No bloody thank you.

Texas may have some crazy gun laws, I don't know, but I can assure you its far better than California. Those people have it BAD. As for Mexico, man, that's the drug trade, it has gotten out of control. That is for another discussion as the War on Drugs is not exactly winnable. The reason there are violent drug cartels is because a market for their skills and product has been pushed in the "light of the black market." I'll just leave that alone.

Agreed! +1

War on drugs makes things worse.

I would not like to be under Cali's gun laws but strangely they have some ability to open carry where we don't.

Texas does not have strange gun laws - just very restrictive ones - comparatively to @ 30+ states.

My bad on the 2pm part. I could've sworn it was a night call.

since9

Campaign Veteran
imported post

This guy has watched WAY to many Bronson movies.

What he should have done is read his state's laws concerning self-defense, what it is, and what it is not.