• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Handgun Ammo in NOVA

NightmareSHANIQUA

Haymarket/Gainesville/Arlington/GMU , Virginia, US
imported post

If anyone is looking for ammo in a whole variety of calibers, manufacturers, and quality, Dicks in Manassas is the place to go. I just picked up 4 boxes of .45ACP and the guy mentioned he has a ton more. $20 a box for Remington. Not the cleanest powder in my Kimber, but Ill sacrifice.

I know some people have been looking for .40 as well, I saw at least one full shelf of several makes.

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

NightmareSHANIQUA wrote:
If anyone is looking for ammo in a whole variety of calibers, manufacturers, and quality, Dicks in Manassas is the place to go. I just picked up 4 boxes of .45ACP and the guy mentioned he has a ton more. $20 a box for Remington. Not the cleanest powder in my Kimber, but Ill sacrifice.

I know some people have been looking for .40 as well, I saw at least one full shelf of several makes.
what SKU number? maybe my Dulles Dicks is selling same for same?

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

NightmareSHANIQUA wrote:
Remington 45Auto 04770? 06780
Remington 30-06 04770 05460

Those are the two calibers I got today. The Walmart in Manassas caught me off guard with 06 actually in stock, but it was only $18. Got some real sweet 150gr to shoot out of my M1 :D
You guys are killing me.:shock:

I shot 600 rounds this week and I doubt I have more than $20.00 in it all.

NightmareSHANIQUA

imported post

peter nap wrote:
NightmareSHANIQUA wrote:
Remington 45Auto 04770? 06780
Remington 30-06 04770 05460

Those are the two calibers I got today. The Walmart in Manassas caught me off guard with 06 actually in stock, but it was only $18. Got some real sweet 150gr to shoot out of my M1 :D
You guys are killing me.:shock:

I shot 600 rounds this week and I doubt I have more than $20.00 in it all.
Hahaha youre killin me by rubbing it in dude. Care to reload for me? :p

hunter45

imported post

The ammo at Dick's is really overpriced. I pay $4.75 per box for the same Wolf .223 that is $9.99 per box at Dick's.

NightmareSHANIQUA

imported post

hunter45 wrote:
The ammo at Dick's is really overpriced. I pay $4.75 per box for the same Wolf .223 that is $9.99 per box at Dick's.
I find that $20 a box for 45ACP is cheaper than $25+ at the range. So, even my limited and horrible math skills prove that my college fund doesnt disappear when I go to the range more than once a month. :)

hunter45

imported post

NightmareSHANIQUA wrote:
hunter45 wrote:
I find that $20 a box for 45ACP is cheaper than $25+ at the range. So, even my limited and horrible math skills prove that my college fund doesnt disappear when I go to the range more than once a month. :)

I pay $15 a box for Wolf .45, and I shoot that in my Kimber. I can't pay $20 a box with my college funds. :D

NightmareSHANIQUA

imported post

hunter45 wrote:
NightmareSHANIQUA wrote:
hunter45 wrote:

I pay $15 a box for Wolf .45, and I shoot that in my Kimber. I can't pay $20 a box with my college funds. :D
Oh god no... You put Wolf in a Kimber? :O

Totally curious though, every bit of WOLF 45ACP Ive seen has been made with steel cases that kill your chamber by marring and getting stuck. Now this is totally only what I have heard. I did find some WOLF back in August that was like $25 a box, but it was a haggard steel case.

Btw, youre up at Mason now arent you?

hunter45

imported post

NightmareSHANIQUA wrote:

Totally curious though, every bit of WOLF 45ACP Ive seen has been made with steel cases that kill your chamber by marring and getting stuck. Now this is totally only what I have heard. I did find some WOLF back in August that was like $25 a box, but it was a haggard steel case.

Wolf is the only ammo I have ever shot through my Kimber. I've probably shot about 700 rounds. No problems at all.

Yep, I'll be starting at Mason on the 19th.

NightmareSHANIQUA

imported post

hunter45 wrote:
NightmareSHANIQUA wrote:

Wolf is the only ammo I have ever shot through my Kimber. I've probably shot about 700 rounds. No problems at all.

Maybe Ill see you around sometime up there. I have a break here and there between classes.

I typically shoot American Eagle when I have the option, it burns the best in mine. I shoot a 5" though. Remington is decent, but thats as low as I go in quality really. I carry Federal Hydrashoks for my carry ammo and have put a few through the gun for function check. I would be very nervous about shooting wolf though. Ive heard a lot about the ammo not being loaded hot enough and slugs getting stuck in the barrel. Once again, just what Ive heard. Im glad you have had good luck with it though.

nova

imported post

NightmareSHANIQUA wrote:
hunter45 wrote:
NightmareSHANIQUA wrote:

Maybe Ill see you around sometime up there. I have a break here and there between classes.

I typically shoot American Eagle when I have the option, it burns the best in mine. I shoot a 5" though. Remington is decent, but thats as low as I go in quality really. I carry Federal Hydrashoks for my carry ammo and have put a few through the gun for function check. I would be very nervous about shooting wolf though. Ive heard a lot about the ammo not being loaded hot enough and slugs getting stuck in the barrel. Once again, just what Ive heard. Im glad you have had good luck with it though.
Cool...another OCDO member at GMU :cool:

As for Wolf, the steel used in their cases is mild steel, MUCH softer than the steel used to make firearms. :)

hunter45

imported post

I'm sure I'll run into both of you eventually. I should have met up with nova by now either at an OC dinner or VCDL meeting, but every time I say I'm going I end up having something else come up at the last minute.

NightmareSHANIQUA

imported post

hunter45 wrote:
I'm sure I'll run into both of you eventually. I should have met up with nova by now either at an OC dinner or VCDL meeting, but every time I say I'm going I end up having something else come up at the last minute.
Maybe we can all get together up there in Fairfax or somewhere right before school. Mini OC lunch if you want. Even if everyone just wants to get some coffee. Im in Haymarket, so Im not too much further than you

hunter45

imported post

NightmareSHANIQUA wrote:
hunter45 wrote:
Maybe we can all get together up there in Fairfax or somewhere right before school. Mini OC lunch if you want. Even if everyone just wants to get some coffee. Im in Haymarket, so Im not too much further than you

Yeah that sounds like a good idea. I've been to Haymarket about five times in the last week. My cousin just moved out there.

NightmareSHANIQUA

imported post

hunter45 wrote:
NightmareSHANIQUA wrote:
hunter45 wrote:

Yeah that sounds like a good idea. I've been to Haymarket about five times in the last week. My cousin just moved out there.

Now all we need to do is get nova out here to PWC :p

Where did your cousin move to?

hunter45

imported post

NightmareSHANIQUA wrote:
Now all we need to do is get nova out here to PWC :p

Where did your cousin move to?

It's in a new townhome community, I'm not sure of the name. As you get off at the Haymarket exit (coming from the east) you turn right, then you make a left at the first traffic light and it's right there.

VaLiberty

imported post

NightmareSHANIQUA wrote:
I still give it a :? kinda look when I see it. Like I said though, Im glad you do really well with it. My job allows me a little leeway to shoot more around the holidays. People need to buy the coke to mix with their rum ya know...

I've shot over 400 rounds of wolf through my various Kimbers, with no visible detriment, and not a single bad round.