Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WOW! I'm speechless. placed a call to JPD and....

Post imported post

So out of curiosity I called JPD and the receptionist named Brittney answerd. paraphrasing, the convo went like this; Her- Hello Jacksonville Police Department how can i help you? I replied, I was just wondering how the JPD feels about open carry. Her- what? 'I replied, the open carry of a firearm. She replied, in what way?I said, a handgun in a holster attactched to my hip. And she replied, do you have a CCW? I said, no it's legal in NC to open carry without documentation. and she replied and i quote.."you cant just walk around with a gun on sir. If someone calls the police you will be arrested for CCW." I said, FOR CCW? I'm not concealing anything!!!

so yeah. I'm speechless. this is an employee of the city police department. and they let her answer the phones. what a travesty.

Post imported post

Sounds like she's a prime candidate for a JPD badge!

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

thinbluelines&w40ve wrote:
    So out of curiosity I called JPD and the receptionist named Brittney answerd. paraphrasing, the convo went like this; Her- Hello Jacksonville Police Department how can i help you? I replied, I was just wondering how the JPD feels about open carry. Her- what? 'I replied, the open carry of a firearm. She replied, in what way?I said, a handgun in a holster attactched to my hip. And she replied, do you have a CCW? I said, no it's legal in NC to open carry without documentation. and she replied and i quote.."you cant just walk around with a gun on sir. If someone calls the police you will be arrested for CCW." I said, FOR CCW? I'm not concealing anything!!!

so yeah. I'm speechless. this is an employee of the city police department. and they let her answer the phones. what a travesty.
    Send the Chief a letter citing as needed or schedule a face-to-face appointment.

Gets a lot more done than being upset about it.

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

McX

Post imported post

i would have added; 'scuz me young Lady, is there a real cop there i can talk to?

Post imported post

My question is, why are you trolling for an answer you probably already know? Haven't we already discussed not calling the PD/SO asking for their opinion? Much less, a legal opinion on OC?

If you really want to press the issue, I recommend meeting with the Chief/CLEO instead of a receptionist....versus a phone call...

Post imported post

well i'm a new OCer in NC and new to this club, so no i havent discussed calling the PD. And might i add, i dont have as much life experience as some of you guys... i'm still learning fellas. be patient with me.

Post imported post

no worries....my apologies on the curtness of my response.

Generally, instead of calling the police, its preferred to read and become familiar with your state's laws regarding the carrying of firearms (OC or CC). Barring that, you can learn from the experiences of others on this board and other boards.

However, for legal advice (versus research), the last place i would call is the PD/SO....consult an attorney familiar with firearms law....you get what you pay for.

Post imported post

well let me explain...I know the laws here. I had heard different things about JPD being bias toward Marines and OCing. so i wanted to get first hand knowledge. I know now i should contact the chief directly as I have done with Sheriff Brown. And no apologies needed good sir.

Post imported post

I think that JPD could probably benefit from OCers talking with the Chief. There are obviously several of us around, so maybe if we can set up a meeting and talk to them politely and knowledgeably we could raise some awareness and avoid unpleasant run-ins.

Post imported post

I agree

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

Ya gotta love it when people agree to agree.

Going into the lion's den to talk to the Chief is one option, but what might prove more fruitful would be to meet with the city/county attorney and have a polite, informed discussion with copies of all pertinent statutes.

Just one guy's opinion.

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

It is a prime example of ignorant people. They exist as LEO's and non-LEO's. Some believe, irrespective of the Constitution, that guns should have many limitations, a few are indifferent, and some believe people should carry or at least own some form of boom-stick protection. Some police officers don't even know about the SCOTUS's interpretation that the 2nd amendment does apply to individuals and not in the case of militias. It will take educating those in command and those that do the educating and not just LEA's, but also the general public.

Post imported post

I can't believe she was dumb enough to answer your question. She obviously wasn't a cop and only scored high enough on the employment exam to answer phones and route calls. Next time save yourself a headache and ask to speak with an officer of some rank and experience about a legal question.

Banned
    across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

She probably has a sockpuppet here. She certainly is qualified to do so.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Master Doug Huffman wrote:
    She probably has a sockpuppet here.Â* She certainly is qualified to do so.

Helwooo?

Post imported post

OMFG!!!

I practically spewed my Mountain Dew into my keyboard on that one...
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

Post imported post

Yes so some of them are not the brightest. I have reported two crimes against me so far. Both were closest because of lack of leads. More like lack of work done. I had to do my own phone call traces and submit serial numbers as stolen. Lets just say that I am a bit disappointed so far in my 10+ years here.

On a side note Sheriff Brown was riding a bike during the Christmas Parade and I got to meet and shake his hand. Really good guy. And I was surprised at his age he was riding a bike all the way down Western and shaking hands. I was at the end of the parade and he was sweating by the time he got to me.

Hubert (One-Slow County), North Carolina, USA

Post imported post

Last night, i took dinner to my friend while she was pulling a 3rd shift at a Scotchman. I was OCing with Ruger P95DC, I walked in and there wherer 3 men in line, i set her meal on the blimpies counter and lean against it waiting for her to finish with them, and a very shady looking guy in her line asks me "why are you carrying a pistol?" now i was not in the mood for 20 questions so i said "because its my right too" well that answer pissed him off, and he tells me "no, its not" (me)"i know my rights, you can OC in this state" (him)"so do i, no you cant,(pulls out an Onslow county sheriff dep. badge) let me see your ID". well he calls into central on his cell to check up on me and asked the cashier about me, i ask him why i wouldn't be able to OC in the store and he says "because they sell alcohol here,(i didnt have a chance to respond right away) then when hes done, he tells me "next time a cop asks you why you have a gun the right answer is not "because its my right" and he turns to leave i said "i thought the law was i couldnt carry in anyplace that sold alcohol and you drank it there" and his responce was "well, i'm not sure ill have to check on it" and he leaves.
    The 2 other sheriffs i saw last night never had a problem with me.

Post imported post

Morh wrote:
    Last night, i took dinner to my friend while she was pulling a 3rd shift at a Scotchman. I was OCing with Ruger P95DC, I walked in and there wherer 3 men in line, i set her meal on the blimpies counter and lean against it waiting for her to finish with them, and a very shady looking guy in her line asks me "why are you carrying a pistol?" now i was not in the mood for 20 questions so i said "because its my right too" well that answer pissed him off, and he tells me "no, its not" (me)"i know my rights, you can OC in this state" (him)"so do i, no you cant,(pulls out an Onslow county sheriff dep. badge) let me see your ID". well he calls into central on his cell to check up on me and asked the cashier about me, i ask him why i wouldn't be able to OC in the store and he says "because they sell alcohol here,(i didnt have a chance to respond right away) then when hes done, he tells me "next time a cop asks you why you have a gun the right answer is not "because its my right" and he turns to leave i said "i thought the law was i couldnt carry in anyplace that sold alcohol and you drank it there" and his responce was "well, i'm not sure ill have to check on it" and he leaves.
    The 2 other sheriffs i saw last night never had a problem with me.

How were you supposed to know he was a deputy? He didn't properly identify himself. are you supposed to have X-Ray vision and see his badge through his pants? the arrogance. I would send a complaint up the chain.

Post imported post

did you happen to get the deputys name?

Post imported post

i tried, it was one of those ignore you while they walk out the door, like they didn't hear me ask. next time anything happens ill make sure to get it right away. what really surprised me about myself was the adrenaline rush i had gotten, this guy was aggressive once he pulled his badge. I will say i was not prepared for what happened, but i will be next time, (this incident is the reason i actually found this forum), my brother is a cop in EI, im a firefighter, and i have a few friends that are cops in the area, I Did Not Expect this, also i found out today that a friend was arrested last night on piney green at a road block, his pistol was on the back seat of his truck in plain view and hes charged for having a concealed weapon. the cop that arrested him regularly pulls over anyone he can thats on a motorcycle, my friend is a member of the AFMC and his colors where on the other side of the back seat.

Post imported post

what did the deputy look like. i might be able to i d him for you off of a description.

Post imported post

old white crown vic, about 5'7 he looked scuffy or grungy, beard kinda auburn color, heavy set. i think he was wearing glasses, his partner look like he was growing a beard to look older, about 5'11" and skinny really didnt look at him, they where both undercover on fri-night

Post imported post

Mohr,

Don't say anything more on this forum about this incident.

File a FOIA request for the incident. If there was a report made, the officer's name and badge number will be on that report...

Get a Lawyer. Yesterday. Consider filing a "color of law" complaint under the Federal Civil Rights codes...

And remember, you have the right to remain silent...
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

Post imported post

thanks, but they never filed a report, i talked to the sheriffs office and they said if i wanted to come in and talk to the sheriff and file a complaint i could.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast