• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

WOW! I'm speechless. placed a call to JPD and....

thinbluelines&w40ve

imported post

So out of curiosity I called JPD and the receptionist named Brittney answerd. paraphrasing, the convo went like this; Her- Hello Jacksonville Police Department how can i help you? I replied, I was just wondering how the JPD feels about open carry. Her- what? 'I replied, the open carry of a firearm. She replied, in what way?I said, a handgun in a holster attactched to my hip. And she replied, do you have a CCW? I said, no it's legal in NC to open carry without documentation. and she replied and i quote.."you cant just walk around with a gun on sir. If someone calls the police you will be arrested for CCW." I said, FOR CCW? I'm not concealing anything!!!

so yeah. I'm speechless. this is an employee of the city police department. and they let her answer the phones. what a travesty.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

thinbluelines&w40ve wrote:
So out of curiosity I called JPD and the receptionist named Brittney answerd. paraphrasing, the convo went like this; Her- Hello Jacksonville Police Department how can i help you? I replied, I was just wondering how the JPD feels about open carry. Her- what? 'I replied, the open carry of a firearm. She replied, in what way?I said, a handgun in a holster attactched to my hip. And she replied, do you have a CCW? I said, no it's legal in NC to open carry without documentation. and she replied and i quote.."you cant just walk around with a gun on sir. If someone calls the police you will be arrested for CCW." I said, FOR CCW? I'm not concealing anything!!!

so yeah. I'm speechless. this is an employee of the city police department. and they let her answer the phones. what a travesty.
Send the Chief a letter citing as needed or schedule a face-to-face appointment.

Gets a lot more done than being upset about it. :)

Yata hey

M

McX

imported post

i would have added; 'scuz me young Lady, is there a real cop there i can talk to?

SIGguy229

imported post

My question is, why are you trolling for an answer you probably already know? Haven't we already discussed not calling the PD/SO asking for their opinion? Much less, a legal opinion on OC?

If you really want to press the issue, I recommend meeting with the Chief/CLEO instead of a receptionist....versus a phone call...

SIGguy229

imported post

no worries....my apologies on the curtness of my response.

Generally, instead of calling the police, its preferred to read and become familiar with your state's laws regarding the carrying of firearms (OC or CC). Barring that, you can learn from the experiences of others on this board and other boards.

However, for legal advice (versus research), the last place i would call is the PD/SO....consult an attorney familiar with firearms law....you get what you pay for.

thinbluelines&w40ve

imported post

well let me explain...I know the laws here. I had heard different things about JPD being bias toward Marines and OCing. so i wanted to get first hand knowledge. I know now i should contact the chief directly as I have done with Sheriff Brown. And no apologies needed good sir.

CarryOpen

imported post

I think that JPD could probably benefit from OCers talking with the Chief. There are obviously several of us around, so maybe if we can set up a meeting and talk to them politely and knowledgeably we could raise some awareness and avoid unpleasant run-ins.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Ya gotta love it when people agree to agree. :)

Going into the lion's den to talk to the Chief is one option, but what might prove more fruitful would be to meet with the city/county attorney and have a polite, informed discussion with copies of all pertinent statutes.

Just one guy's opinion.

Yata hey

tekshogun

Founder's Club Member
imported post

It is a prime example of ignorant people. They exist as LEO's and non-LEO's. Some believe, irrespective of the Constitution, that guns should have many limitations, a few are indifferent, and some believe people should carry or at least own some form of boom-stick protection. Some police officers don't even know about the SCOTUS's interpretation that the 2nd amendment does apply to individuals and not in the case of militias. It will take educating those in command and those that do the educating and not just LEA's, but also the general public.

zahalglory

imported post

I can't believe she was dumb enough to answer your question. She obviously wasn't a cop and only scored high enough on the employment exam to answer phones and route calls. Next time save yourself a headache and ask to speak with an officer of some rank and experience about a legal question.

tekshogun

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Master Doug Huffman wrote:
thinbluelines&w40ve wrote:
She probably has a sockpuppet here.  She certainly is qualified to do so.

:lol:

Helwooo?
Sock_Puppet_2_small.jpg

Lawmaker

imported post

Yes so some of them are not the brightest. I have reported two crimes against me so far. Both were closest because of lack of leads. More like lack of work done. I had to do my own phone call traces and submit serial numbers as stolen. Lets just say that I am a bit disappointed so far in my 10+ years here.

On a side note Sheriff Brown was riding a bike during the Christmas Parade and I got to meet and shake his hand. Really good guy. And I was surprised at his age he was riding a bike all the way down Western and shaking hands. I was at the end of the parade and he was sweating by the time he got to me.

Morh

Hubert (One-Slow County), North Carolina, USA
imported post

Last night, i took dinner to my friend while she was pulling a 3rd shift at a Scotchman. I was OCing with Ruger P95DC, I walked in and there wherer 3 men in line, i set her meal on the blimpies counter and lean against it waiting for her to finish with them, and a very shady looking guy in her line asks me "why are you carrying a pistol?" now i was not in the mood for 20 questions so i said "because its my right too" well that answer pissed him off, and he tells me "no, its not" (me)"i know my rights, you can OC in this state" (him)"so do i, no you cant,(pulls out an Onslow county sheriff dep. badge) let me see your ID". well he calls into central on his cell to check up on me and asked the cashier about me, i ask him why i wouldn't be able to OC in the store and he says "because they sell alcohol here,(i didnt have a chance to respond right away) then when hes done, he tells me "next time a cop asks you why you have a gun the right answer is not "because its my right" and he turns to leave i said "i thought the law was i couldnt carry in anyplace that sold alcohol and you drank it there" and his responce was "well, i'm not sure ill have to check on it" and he leaves.
The 2 other sheriffs i saw last night never had a problem with me.

thinbluelines&w40ve

imported post

Morh wrote:
Last night, i took dinner to my friend while she was pulling a 3rd shift at a Scotchman. I was OCing with Ruger P95DC, I walked in and there wherer 3 men in line, i set her meal on the blimpies counter and lean against it waiting for her to finish with them, and a very shady looking guy in her line asks me "why are you carrying a pistol?" now i was not in the mood for 20 questions so i said "because its my right too" well that answer pissed him off, and he tells me "no, its not" (me)"i know my rights, you can OC in this state" (him)"so do i, no you cant,(pulls out an Onslow county sheriff dep. badge) let me see your ID". well he calls into central on his cell to check up on me and asked the cashier about me, i ask him why i wouldn't be able to OC in the store and he says "because they sell alcohol here,(i didnt have a chance to respond right away) then when hes done, he tells me "next time a cop asks you why you have a gun the right answer is not "because its my right" and he turns to leave i said "i thought the law was i couldnt carry in anyplace that sold alcohol and you drank it there" and his responce was "well, i'm not sure ill have to check on it" and he leaves.
The 2 other sheriffs i saw last night never had a problem with me.

How were you supposed to know he was a deputy? He didn't properly identify himself. are you supposed to have X-Ray vision and see his badge through his pants? the arrogance. I would send a complaint up the chain.