• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Next Bay Area Meet! Walnut Creek, CA 2/6/10 Saturday @ 11:00AM

brad9point0

imported post

First, I would like to say I had a GREAT time meeting all of you and seeing some of you again.

We discussed making this a monthly meet. We loosely decided to make it the first Saturday of the month and try to rotate around the bay area to cover most of it over time. We planned for Walnut Creek in Contra Costa County for this meet. California Pizza Kitchen was our choice and it looks to be well located. It is freeway close and GFSZ far. The nearest one is half a mile away. Taking the Olympic Blvd. exit from 680 seems safe to me. I will be doing a more through in person examination of all the side streets tomorrow to be safe, but from the map it looks great.

Please let me know if this all works for you. If anyone wants to take charge and spearhead this? Im not the best at setting these kind of things up but I am more then willing to pitch in to help out.

Please feel free to comment with any thoughts or ideas or PM me if needed.!

Carry on!

almost forgot the dancing banana!
:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate

Livermoron

imported post

Hi All,

Sounds great to me. I am pretty sure I can make it then.

We collectively might want to select a "back-up" location in the DT Walnut Creek area for good measure.

Hot Potato!!! Who wants to be the lucky one to run with it? ;)

Carry On,

Livermoron :cool:

brad9point0

imported post

for a back up I would vote for:

La Fogata Mexican Bar & Grill‎
1315 North Main Street, Walnut Creek, CA

Super yummy and independently owned. always a plus these days. I have eaten here at least a dozen times and never a bad meal. Plus is only a short walk from California Pizza Kitchen if they dont like our gun money. lol

Streetbikerr6

imported post

brad9point0 wrote:
California Pizza Kitchen was our choice and it looks to be well located. It is freeway close and GFSZ far. The nearest one is half a mile away. Taking the Olympic Blvd. exit from 680 seems safe to me. I will be doing a more through in person examination of all the side streets tomorrow to be safe, but from the map it looks great.

first OC venture, calender tentatively marked!:celebrate

carrier72

imported post

Hey there. I am new to this site and will need some time to learn how to navigate. I read the article about OC in Livermore. :celebrate Are there membership fees/requirements for this particular group? I really want to be involved with this as I had no idea that it even existed! Been a gun owner since age 18.. now 37... fired my first rifle at 13. Handgun certified and would love to exercise my 2A/OC! Your upcoming event in W/C is pretty close to home and I sure would like to attend. Thanks for reading.

brad9point0

imported post

its absolutely free :D (other then your meal) we are not quite an organized group. more of a group of people that come together that enjoy the same thing, freedom and the 2nd amendment and whatnot. PLEASE! read the do's and do nots. UNLOADED, HOLSTERED and MAG(S) VISIBLE. Other then that just show up! We are a friendly bunch. Just be prepared for good times and good conversation.

www.californiaopencarry.org has a bunch of great info, read up and join us! if you dont feel up to carrying to your first event dont feel pressured to. about a 1/3 of the attendees dont carry. So no pressure, just a fun time.

Livermoron

imported post

Hi Carrier72 & Welcome to OCDO,

I would seriously recommend that you do about a month or more (at minimum) of research in your spare time about open carry in California, the laws, the risks, read the forums, watch the videos (especially the ones on Youtube from Pullnshoot25 - they are great tutorials).

This is not a activity to be taken lightly. That all having been said, your are certainly welcome to come out to any of the meetup's. Do not feel that you have to UOC the first time out either. There will be plenty of time for you to do so. If you do UOC please do it with a good quality retention type holster and tuck in your shirt.

The range of interactions with law enforcement, and the public, can run the full spectrum, so be as prepared as possible for all situations. Having a stash of $$$ in the bank and a lawyer's phone number handy is a good idea too.

Best Regards,

carrier72

imported post

Thanks! I prefer to pair up or meet with a group before taking to the streets OC.. gotta get used to this. Parking in W/C is rough (mostly metered along the main ave.'s). There are a couple parking garages really close.

I really love my trusty colt six. (where could I carry the speed-loaders legally?) Thanks.

carrier72

imported post

Thanks. I've done quite a bit of research and have come to the conclusion that it is a "Do so at your own risk" practice. I spend much time on BLM with my 300 H&H Mag.. no problem there.. but yes, I occasionally I see the whites of people's eye's and even see them trying to crawl out of their own skin. This is only a rifle so I can hardly imagine the attention I'd get with a sidearm!

I have not much fear about OC because I'm a firm believer in the Constitution.. every bit of it!

I am more comfortable around citizens with guns than cops with guns. There are many officers out there who are totally ignorant to OC laws and I am prepared to accept this opposition for the sake of the 2A. I'll do some more reading though. Thanks.

Livermoron

imported post

Hi All,

Please acquire a retention type holster (Blackhawk or similar) for your rig PRIOR to the Walnut Creek Mettup if at all possible. I know these can be a bit pricey for some ($35-$60), but are GREAT for that extra little bit of insurance that your gear cannot be easily removed or fall out.

There are several vendors in the Bay Area that carry these and are good to do business with. PM me for suggestions if interested.

I am sure there will be "interest" by LE for this meetup, so be prepared. I look forward to seeing you all again soon.

PS - This week I have UOC'd 3 times (day and night) so far with no hassle around Livermore. Coffee shops, gas stations, grocery store, etc. I hope it stays this way...

Carry On,

dirtykoala

imported post

Livermoron wrote:
Hi All,

Please acquire a retention type holster (Blackhawk or similar) for your rig PRIOR to the Walnut Creek Mettup if at all possible. I know these can be a bit pricey for some ($35-$60), but are GREAT for that extra little bit of insurance that your gear cannot be easily removed or fall out.

There are several vendors in the Bay Area that carry these and are good to do business with. PM me for suggestions if interested.

I am sure there will be "interest" by LE for this meetup, so be prepared. I look forward to seeing you all again soon.

PS - This week I have UOC'd 3 times (day and night) so far with no hassle around Livermore. Coffee shops, gas stations, grocery store, etc. I hope it stays this way...

Carry On,

why carry with retention? what could happen if someone grabbed your gun? besides the fact that this is not likely, if they did, so what????? they have an unloaded piece of metal and plastic, and it will be followed by a punch or 8 in the face. i will carry with retention when i carry loaded.

i will probably make this meet if im not on-call for work like i was for the livermore meet.

N6ATF

Banned
imported post

The more complex the retention, the more time the 4A violators have to spend trying to violate it. You have the right to remain silent so they can figure it out (or give up) in isolation.

Too bad there isn't a SERPA with a reliable fingerprint unlock that scans as you slide your index finger down. Would frustrate criminals wearing badges to no end.

Ooh, post 1,000!

chewy352

imported post

N6ATF wrote:
The more complex the retention, the more time the 4A violators have to spend trying to violate it. You have the right to remain silent so they can figure it out (or give up) in isolation.

Too bad there isn't a SERPA with a reliable fingerprint unlock that scans as you slide your index finger down. Would frustrate criminals wearing badges to no end.

Ooh, post 1,000!
That would be my only upgrade. I currently only use a fobus passive single retention holster and I still have to explain to LEOs how to remove it.

Livermoron

imported post

Hi All,

I was just trying to say that a bit more retention (like the Serpa from Blackhawk) is better than a simple slide in / slide out that comes with your gun.

Why let the gun be pulled by a passer by, or worse, if you don't have to?

Cheap insurance & more responsible to UOC or LOC this way.

Carry On,