• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Security Guard attempts to disarm lawful open carrier

wewd

imported post

http://georgiapacking.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=40381

Lawful open carrier in Georgia is approached, unannounced, from behind by a security guard who grabs his arm and goes for his gun and attempts to disarm him. You can guess how it goes from there. Retention holster and hand-to-hand combat training do their job.

Discussion thread on Calguns too: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=255381

This is the first instance I have heard of where an open carrier had his (attempted) gun grabbed by a common citizen. Security guards are not cops, and they generally have no legal authority to disarm someone or attempt to disarm someone, unless they are making a lawful arrest (citizen's arrest). The guard thought he was Mr. Tough Cop and got his ass handed to him for it. He's lucky he didn't get shot.

This should give us all a lesson about situational awareness, holster retention, close-combat techniques and "necessary force" response when deadly force is not warranted. Suffice it to say that if anyone here is carrying their sidearm without ACTIVE RETENTION you need to stop right now and get your gear squared away. Throw away those little plastic holsters that came with your gun, they are not safe to use outside of a shooting range. The more levels of retention, the better. I recommend any of the upper level Safariland and Blackhawk gear.

wewd

imported post

Here's a post from the guy that is kind of buried in that forum thread, I'll quote it here:

Just got a call from my lawyer. After reviewing the video there will be no charges filed against me.(My lawyer is a good friend of one of the ADA's so they went over it this morning and the ADA said it was a clear case of self defense/protection of a firearm and blew off the idea of charging me) The security guard and store both declined yesterday and I was asked if I wished to press battery charges against the guy and declined at my lawyers advice. ( After all I am not the one laying in the hospital right now with a broken nose, fractured jaw and torn meniscus) My lawyer wanted to close this ASAP and the evidence is pretty damning for the guard. I was told to NOT name the store or guard or witnesses. My lawyer will retain a copy of the video but (at least for now) it will NOT be allowed to be posted.

The civil side is a different story and that will be investigated.

What did I learn...:
Be prepared!
Do ONLY what you have to and not one bit more
Be respectful and answer PERTINENT questions the officers ask
Have a GOOD lawyer who already knows you and your personality

Do NOT get mad or take the cops questions personally. I was still shaking and pissed off but I remembered what Legacy said about them NEEDING all the facts and versions to make a judgement call. They just wanted my version of the facts and me being calm gave me better credibility. I WAS dis-armed while questioned but because I remained calm and spoke clearly and calmly and the witnesses backed my version of events I was actually handed my still loaded weapon back and told to go home and chill out.

demnogis

imported post

I'm glad things turned out only the way they did. Hete in CA i fear the open-carrier would be charged for aggrevated assault with a deadly weapon and the mall ninja would somehow get qualified immunity and a big gold star. Only the police and criminals have guns, right?

I do however find it ironic that this mall ninja, thinking he's hot sh!t, gets a faceful of fist for his misdeeds. Security guards (I refuse to ever call them security Officers) see stuff like observe and report and paul blart then think they're an idolized public servant with police powers. A plastic badge and black coveralls does not a cop make.

Streetbikerr6

imported post

If this was California the LEO would havemost likelyarrested theOC'er for battery charges with guns drawn.

Lol I wonder what that guy is thinking right now in that hospital bed. "Damn what was I thinking". Idk you would think a security guard would atleast have a little knowledge on open carry???

yelohamr

imported post

You have to remember, it was in Georgia. I have family that lived there and have heard stories about how stupid people can get when they think they are right.

It seems that maybe Bubba's family tree doesn't fork, along with other problems.

dirtykoala

imported post

Funny story!

Wewd, I have to disagree with you on your point about retension. We carry unloaded, if someone grabs your gun and they can't get it, they have you in a weird position at close range from behind. Let them take it, then beat the he'll out of them, unless they do some matrix move and grab your gun and mag at the same time and load it before you can get some good hits on them, you should be safe. They will most likely have grabbed a useless, partially dissasembled piece of metal, and will also be confused as to why it doesn't work.

N6ATF

Banned
imported post

dirtykoala wrote:
Funny story!

Wewd, I have to disagree with you on your point about retension. We carry unloaded, if someone grabs your gun and they can't get it, they have you in a weird position at close range from behind. Let them take it, then beat the he'll out of them, unless they do some matrix move and grab your gun and mag at the same time and load it before you can get some good hits on them, you should be safe. They will most likely have grabbed a useless, partially dissasembled piece of metal, and will also be confused as to why it doesn't work.
If the mythical non-badge-wearing criminal gun grab ever happened, they'd be best off running like a mother. Then they might live to use it in an armed robbery some day (where the gun doesn't necessarily have to be loaded to serve the criminal's purpose).

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

I LOL'd pretty good at this story. Even if he thought the MWAG was a threat, WTF is he going to do against an armed threat? And it also sounds like the guard/assailant was a tub and the MWAG/victim was a physically fit body gaurd. Even without the gun... WTF was he thinking?

Maybe eating through a tube for a couple months will teach him to respect the rights of others.

poothrowingape

imported post

demnogis wrote:
...Security guards (I refuse to ever call them security Officers) see stuff like observe and report and paul blart then think they're an idolized public servant with police powers. A plastic badge and black coveralls does not a cop make.

No only the idiots do. The rest of us security guards remain professional and get called offensive names like Paul Blart, mall cop, and rent-a-cop. It's like calling every black person a criminal.Not all of us are retarded, fat-assed, police academy dropouts.

Also, I have never seen a guard wearing,nor have Iworn, a plastic badge.(Mine is metal)

I am very dedicated and professional andI would gladly risk my life ordie to save any person in danger.I'm glad to know how respected I am by the people i would gladly sacrafice my life for. :banghead:

Sincerely, OFFICER J.K.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

poothrowingape wrote:
...I'm glad to know how respected I am by the people i would gladly sacrafice my life for...
Just like LE, the private security industry is stereotyped by the worst of them.

I spent 5 years in the industry. I've you're waiting for appreciation or respect, don't hold your breath. It's a thankless job, and more often than not you'll get nothing more than your pay check for your dedication (and sometimes not even that). Hell, half the time you'll be punished for doing the right thing!

But it's good that your intentions are honorable. Hopefully you never have to risk your neck for anybody else. Maybe you'll get lucky like me and just be in the right place at the right time - make a call to 9-1-1 and administer some first aid... next thing you know you get a pat on the back! One of the best feelings in the world to save a life.

But you gotta take the bad with the good... there's just a lot more bad than good in your line of work.