• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Moving to NC soon. Goldsboro

Cocked&Locked

imported post

I will be moving to the area soon, as wife is AF and will be working at the base.
I have my FL ccw, which is good, but I have a few questions.

1. Is my FL ccw good for NC without having to change it? My residency will stay in whatever state that makes this easiest.
2. How kosher is that area to OCing?
3. Does anyone have any tips, warnings or words of wisdom for me that lives in that area?

Dreamer

imported post

Would that be Pope in Fayetteville, or Seymore Johnson in Goldsboro?

Both are sort of dodgy for OC, being in places with a lot of "carpetbagger" liberals moving in, and considering the local LEA's history of issues with the shenanigans performed by active-duty folks when off base...

Keep a low profile. Be Polite. Know where the "restricted areas" are and abide by them, and KEEP YOUR VEHICLE IN GOOD REPAIR, and you won't have any issues.

If you have a FL CHP, I'd keep your FL residency. It shouldn't be an issue, since you are with an active-duty military spouse. Getting everything converted over to NC (Residency, DL, CHP) will take a few months, and cost close to $300 in fees and classes. Just stay a "Florida resident"--it will make life MUCH easier...

Good luck, and welcome to the Tarheel State...

Cocked&Locked

imported post

It will be Goldsboro.
And I would like to be able to OC there myself, mostly just when I have my family and CC when its just me.

Does anyone know if that would be a problem in that area and anyone with any experience doing so?>

Gilly

imported post

I work on Seymour Johnson and my wife and I OC in Goldsboro all the time with no issues. There is no Federal property outside the gates like in Fayetteville. Don't carry on the base, permit or not. Be polite and knowledgeable and enjoy the exercise of your rights.

Rugerp345

imported post

If you don't keep your FLA residency, no problem. There is no difference in the FLA resident permit and FLA non-resident permit other than the address on it. Just contact FLA Dept. of Ag and do a change of address. A FLA non-res permit is honored in NC.

and get the facts on OC'ing so you will be properly prepared for the "I could arrest you for going armed to the terror of the people if I wanted to." line you are sure to get.

http://www.piedmontandeasterncarolinarailroad.com/NCPage1.pdf

http://www.piedmontandeasterncarolinarailroad.com/NCpage2.pdf