• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Idaho Barista foils robbery with 9mm Christmas Present...

lapeer20m

imported post

opusd2 wrote:
I wonder how this story affects the statistics of the antis who want to rid us of our guns? And since the gun was a gift, is it an honest to goodness straw purchase if it was on her wish list?
it is not a straw purchase if you buy a gun for a person who can legally posses it.

It IS a straw purchase if for instance you purchase a gun for a felon because he is unable to legally purchase one himself.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

lapeer20m wrote:
opusd2 wrote:
I wonder how this story affects the statistics of the antis who want to rid us of our guns? And since the gun was a gift, is it an honest to goodness straw purchase if it was on her wish list?
it is not a straw purchase if you buy a gun for a person who can legally posses it.

It IS a straw purchase if for instance you purchase a gun for a felon because he is unable to legally purchase one himself.
Now we just had a long discussion about this in Washington forum, I agree that that should be how it is but the federal form has a box if you are purchasing this for your self or someone else, and the consensus was you will not pass the back ground check if you check for someone else.

okboomer

imported post

sudden valley gunner wrote:
Now we just had a long discussion about this in Washington forum, I agree that that should be how it is but the federal form has a box if you are purchasing this for your self or someone else, and the consensus was you will not pass the back ground check if you check for someone else.
I have checked that box twice ... both times I was told that when the other person received the gun (they were gifts) to come back and do the "transfer" at the shop so their records would be straight.

We made it an 'outing' with the people, you know, introduced them to the store owner, completed the paper work, they browsed the cases for a while, handled a few guns, etc.

IIRC, I did have to supply the name of the person who was going to receive the gun on the background form when I filled it out ... and I believe it asked for the relationship to the person who would ultimately receive the gun. Since they were BIL and DD, I knew they were legal to own a gun.

My gun store owner did not charge me these two times nor when I had another gun drop shipped for the paperwork, just the original purchase BGC, and on the dropshipped gun, they were more interested in the gun than the paperwork ... it was open the shipping box, pull the gun out, look it over, pass it around, then do the paperwork :lol: