• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

WMA regulation change

topcat

imported post

If you like to hike on NC WMA's & Natl forests and carry the pistol of your choice for protection then you need to email the NC Wildlife gurus to change the current regulation which states only 22 caliber may be carried during non hunting season. Georgia and Tennessee allow pistol carry with a gun carry permit on WMA's. It's time NC recognize that right. I sent an email to this address, please send yours.
regulations@ncwildlife.org

Dreamer

imported post

Actually, you CAN possess a pistol for self-defense purposes of any type or caliber during closed-season times, according to the regs., on page 55:
Weapons:
● The following exceptions, however, should be noted:
- Possession is allowed on field-trial and designated target shooting areas and in camping areas for defense of person or property.

It doesn't say you need to be actually participating in "field trials" to be legally carrying, just in a "field trial area", or target area or camping area. And in fact, if you ARE doing field trials for dog training, you are expressly prohibited from carrying, unless you have a "field-trial authorization"...

Why would you be tromping around on State Game Lands in the off-season anyway?

And if it's "private property" that is just under NC-WRC regulation, then if you have written permission from the land-owner, or you ARE the landowner, carrying on such land should be a protected right under the NC firearms law private property exemptions anyway.

State parklands that are also gamelands, however, are still "no-carry zones"...

But at least we can carry on National Parks and National Wildlife Refuges, after February 22:

http://www.doi.gov/news/09_News_Releases/052209c.html

http://www.doi.gov/news/08_News_Releases/120508.html

And remember folks, the gun ban in National Parks was put in place by the REAGAN administration... Goddam liberal leftist...oh, wait, Reagan was a Republican...Oh whatever...

chiefjason

imported post

I trout fish in the backcountry during the non hunting seasons. I also hike with my family. So I cannot carry during either of these activities. That bugs me. I can OC in walmart but not the woods? Funny thing is when you talk to someone who is anti carry they usually don't have a problem with people carrying in the woods. But the state does. Go figure.

Dreamer

imported post

Funny thing is, in West Virginia, it is EXACTLY the opposite. In WV, you can carry any pistol you want in the woods in the off-season, but during Deer and Small-Game seasons, you can't carry anything bigger than a .22 (unless you have a CHP.)

These laws make absolutely NO sense. There is no consistancy state-to-state, they are often in DIRECT contradiction of each other from state to state, and sometimes they are the exact opposite to what would make sense to even the anti-gunners...

This one sounds like it needs to be taken on with the full force of some sseriously organized activism...