Thread: Interesting OC experience

Post imported post

I had a strange vehicle parked in my driveway and I heard noise around the outside of the house but couldn't see any people. I called the police, they checked it out and informed me that it belonged to the neighbors across the street. It turns out they didn't realize someone had moved into the house. They took my name and whatnot (not sure why except for report purposes maybe).

While on the phone with 911 I informed them I was armed, checked out the inside of the home and was waiting and watching. They told me to disarm when the police arrived. I said "No problem, I will have it holstered". They said, "OK". I was OC'n on my porch while talking to police. No problems at all.

After this, I talked to the neighbor and told them it was okay to park there and we offered each other our apologies. All worked out okay.

Post imported post

Better safe then sorry. Probably not the best way to meet a new neighbor though.

I wonder if it is just that 911 operator, or if it's protocol to tell an armed home owner to disarm when officers arrive.

Post imported post

its just a good idea to have your weapon holstered when the police show up. I wouldn't disarm, but holster.

Post imported post

kevron2020 wrote:
    its just a good idea to have your weapon holstered when the police show up. I wouldn't disarm, but holster.
    Unfortunately I've got those neighbors, I have the WPD across the street a few times a month. Several times they've come to ask if I was a witness, I was OCing every time, nary an issue

Post imported post

It all worked out okay. That's what I said too, "probably not the best way to meet my new neighbors but nice to meet you." LOL

Yeah, I didn't disarm. I just put it in the holster as they walked up to the door while tactically positioned in a bedroom peeking out the window. Good practice I suppose.

I was uncomfortable giving them my name, number and stuff when they asked, but it's not like they couldn't get it from my address so I gave them what they asked for. They were friendly and helpful.

Post imported post

They just need your name and number for the report... and then if you were to have trouble in the future with the same person they could look it up and tell you were the person that had the problem before.
    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Post imported post

It's usually policy to ask the homeowner to put the weapons away when police are arriving onscene. I'm not going to say whether I think it's right or wrong, but it is policy. It's a way for the department to remove any liability and to do so right over a recorded line.

Post imported post

Personally in this situation I would not have told the dispatcher I was armed. IMO it was not relevant to the complaint. I would've waited inside my home until LE knocked on my door. At that time I would've answered the door and informed them I was carrying. Words get screwed up while being dispatched or busy LEOs only hear man has a gun and then the adrenaline starts to kick in on what should be a mundane call for them.

Post imported post

sprinklerguy28 wrote:
    Personally in this situation I would not have told the dispatcher I was armed. IMO it was not relevant to the complaint. I would've waited inside my home until LE knocked on my door. At that time I would've answered the door and informed them I was carrying. Words get screwed up while being dispatched or busy LEOs only hear man has a gun and then the adrenaline starts to kick in on what should be a mundane call for them.
    Good point. Fortunately that didn't happen.

Post imported post

ethernetweb wrote:
    I was OC'n on my porch while talking to police. No problems at all.
    I like that. I hope all OC experiences are like that in the future.