• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Interesting OC experience

TheRabbitsHole

imported post

I had a strange vehicle parked in my driveway and I heard noise around the outside of the house but couldn't see any people. I called the police, they checked it out and informed me that it belonged to the neighbors across the street. It turns out they didn't realize someone had moved into the house. They took my name and whatnot (not sure why except for report purposes maybe).

While on the phone with 911 I informed them I was armed, checked out the inside of the home and was waiting and watching. They told me to disarm when the police arrived. I said "No problem, I will have it holstered". They said, "OK". I was OC'n on my porch while talking to police. No problems at all.

After this, I talked to the neighbor and told them it was okay to park there and we offered each other our apologies. All worked out okay.

BreakingTheMold

imported post

Better safe then sorry. Probably not the best way to meet a new neighbor though. ;)

I wonder if it is just that 911 operator, or if it's protocol to tell an armed home owner to disarm when officers arrive.

FatboyCykes

imported post

kevron2020 wrote:
its just a good idea to have your weapon holstered when the police show up. I wouldn't disarm, but holster.
Unfortunately I've got those neighbors, I have the WPD across the street a few times a month. Several times they've come to ask if I was a witness, I was OCing every time, nary an issue :D

TheRabbitsHole

imported post

It all worked out okay. That's what I said too, "probably not the best way to meet my new neighbors but nice to meet you." LOL

Yeah, I didn't disarm. I just put it in the holster as they walked up to the door while tactically positioned in a bedroom peeking out the window. Good practice I suppose.

I was uncomfortable giving them my name, number and stuff when they asked, but it's not like they couldn't get it from my address so I gave them what they asked for. They were friendly and helpful.

autosurgeon

imported post

They just need your name and number for the report... and then if you were to have trouble in the future with the same person they could look it up and tell you were the person that had the problem before.

sevenplusone

imported post

It's usually policy to ask the homeowner to put the weapons away when police are arriving onscene. I'm not going to say whether I think it's right or wrong, but it is policy. It's a way for the department to remove any liability and to do so right over a recorded line.

sprinklerguy28

imported post

Personally in this situation I would not have told the dispatcher I was armed. IMO it was not relevant to the complaint. I would've waited inside my home until LE knocked on my door. At that time I would've answered the door and informed them I was carrying. Words get screwed up while being dispatched or busy LEOs only hear man has a gun and then the adrenaline starts to kick in on what should be a mundane call for them.

TheRabbitsHole

imported post

sprinklerguy28 wrote:
Personally in this situation I would not have told the dispatcher I was armed. IMO it was not relevant to the complaint. I would've waited inside my home until LE knocked on my door. At that time I would've answered the door and informed them I was carrying. Words get screwed up while being dispatched or busy LEOs only hear man has a gun and then the adrenaline starts to kick in on what should be a mundane call for them.
Good point. Fortunately that didn't happen.